Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I am currently working on a site and I want to promote a product that I can not find an affiliate program for.

There are sites out there that sell the product though.

I am looking for suggestions on how to approach a merchant with an offer to partner with me and make me an affiliate.

What would be a general outline of what you would say to them?

What is a reasonable amount to offer that you would except?

How do you suggest they track what sales are yours?

What exactly do you offer in return?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How do you suggest they track what sales are yours?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I would suggest they join CJ, Linkshare etc. Explain the benefits that many affiliates can bring to them. Point out that the product is not yet available this way.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I recommend looking to see if their shopping cart can support affiliate tracking. If you find it does you can pitch why you could be a valuable asset and also that their shipping cart can track your sales and there is no way for you to "cheat" them. If they do not have a shopping cart with aff tracking, them look into something like sunnyscript, i use it for one merchant where I am there only affiliate and it seems to track ok. It is limited in many ways but it would be a good place to start and it costs only $59 or so. I even went half with the merchant.

I'd hold off puching CJ or anything, because price might turn them off and since you put in the effort to recruit them, you should get the opportunity to cash in and maybe at a later date sell them on letting you run a aff program for them.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    If the merchant happens to be a yahoo store, Yahoo has built in aff tracking.

If you refer them to an affiliate network, ShareaSale.com is probably the best one to recommend...

They are suposedly less expensive for the merchant to get started with and they are supposed to be ANTI-PARASITE.

Hello ;-)

Start off with an email to the company, I have started this way many times. Most of the time you get nothing (reply that is) or they tell you there not intrested.

However given the right conditions and all you would be amazed at what can happen on the web. The affiliate program I manage, I called up the owner and said "hey I got this great idea" ...

about six months later and it was a great idea for both me and the owner of myrxforless.com

Good luck ;-) and Cheers,

Brian Johnson (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    myrxforless.com | My Affiliate Programs

The ones I created started with a phone call, then a visit to show them what I can to increase sales.

My very first relationship was with an elder man; basically we split the difference on what it would cost to set up the relationship.

He paid for all shipping boxes and labels, he cut his profit so I could make mine and we went from there.

That relationship is by far the most rewarding I’ve had. Not as profitable since it was a learning experience. Yet I still do business with this individual and we now have 4 additional warehouses due to the increase in sales.

Not sure what the heck "Just a guy" is talking about concerning sharasale. He must be reading this wrong or I am. If I am wrong then I would suggest CJ.

SandraR

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Some good ideas!

Keep em coming!

~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread