Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just ran across this article today:

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/small...554407,00.html

How can we fight parasites when the merchants are so tickled with their relationship with them? Worse yet is that this merchant has an affiliate program, both an in-house and a CJ option. Do you suppose they are stealing their own affiliates' sales from their WhenU ads?

Susan

Disgusting!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I will definately keep this in mind...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>$2,500 trial run - 36 cents deducted from that down payment each time a person clicked on one of his ads.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans. http://www.IceIsHot.com

bad business practise

--------------------
    Tell Mama don't cry. Even when they kill me, They can never take the game from a young G. I'm str8 ballin'

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Goes to show the flower/giftware market if rife with adware merchants. Like most the have no inventory ...ship nothing and are just middlemen playing CPC arbritage.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Remember to use the feedback for that article.

I thanked them for the heads up so I can drop that company.

Feedback? Write to fsb_mail@timeinc.com

SandraR

I just sent an email of complaint that this guy was stealing from me and then bragging about it.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Ya, I did as well, told him to make sure he gets both sides of the story first, before he makes it sound good in his story.

I got the read notice!

At least they are opening the mail sent!

SandraR

ABW Ambassador
    Once again, for most people it is the bottom line what counts at the end of the day.
    This is not a surprise...

meanwhile, I've advised CJ about the article and received this:
    "We have that account on watch right now already. It's on hold."

so far, so good, in part. would be nice if we could do something else.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

I wonder how they got connected with WhenU?

Could it be ....

THIS?

Email: mike@floristone.com
    Country USA
    URL: http://www.flowersacrossamerica.com
    Joined Network: 24-Jan-2000

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    This shouldn't be a suprise, LinkShare dropped WhenU and a CJ merchant posted in this forum that CJ promoted them. And a link.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=2676006894

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on January 06, 2004 at 02:49 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I dumped FlowersAcrosssAmerica this morning. There are plenty of other flower programs.

It is too bad that they put themselves across as a trusty, family-run, local business, but it is essentially an arm of the big-business parasites.

I mailed Mr. Perry this thread

BTW - Growerflowers / 99Flowers (has a forum here at ABW ) dropped WhenU --- see http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...515#1126049515

</font></p>

The irony is all those extra clicks to there company from the article are not for more business. but from us dropping them like hot cakes.

Wonder if they will regret bragging about being thieves?

SandraR

What is so sad here is the merchant sounds as if he is only in this for the money as he states "hates to have to deal with customers" and "can't make floral arrangements". This guy is just in it for the buck and he probably hates to deal with us as much as his customers.

Is this someone you would want to team with even if he was not in bed with WhenU? NO!

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    This is all very interesting. Mr. Perry's flower shop is located in the town I live in. I can say that the floral arrangememnts his store makes are beautiful, but evidently he does not get involved in this. I promoted him because of his being a local business in the community. After reading the above, I will have to drop his program and no longer shop in his local shop. I will also tell all my friends not to shop there also. There are other florists in town I can visit and I am sure they make arrangements just a nice as his shop does.
    Very disappointing
    Cazzie

Fight Back! Parasite Free In 2004!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    7-days, you are right, he sounds like he really just wants to be left alone, raking in money without working or worrying about the ethics of his actions.

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    First, I do not and never have dealt with this company.

He certainly seems to have no qualms stealing like mad!

But I notice other interesting things in the article. Like how his cost-of-acquisition is going up, even using parasiteware. The more it costs to use the stuff, the less likely merchants should be to use it--at least once the fees pass a certain point.

I also see that there really isn't any need to have a brick-n-mortar to run one of these floral sites. And he made 700k in new sales. HMMMM that's interesting, and certainly there's got to be a way to do it without using parasites!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is this someone you would want to team with even if he was not in bed with WhenU? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If his ethics were better (re: parasiteware) I wouldn't be bothered by his dislike of the floral business. He inherited it--it's not something he had really "chosen" to do. And, he's got employees to do all the customer service junk and arrangement-making in his retail location. There's no need for him to have to like the products OR the people--that's what his employees are doing there!
    Just as long as I didn't have to deal directly with him, I probably wouldn't have any problems at all if he "wasn't in bed with WhenU" or the like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What is so sad here is the merchant sounds as if he is only in this for the money <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the heck is sad about that?! I hope you haven't been thinking I am gung-ho about all the gajillion products on my site, LOL!

Sure, there are activities I do that aren't for the money (and I assume he has some nonmonetary activities he likes, too), but business? That IS for the money, that's the whole point of it--because it's where the money comes from to finance those activities that don't generate any on their own.

Again, I'm NOT defending his use of parasiteware or his lack of ethics in that regard. But I wouldn't condemn anyone for not being enthused about customer service (which has to be one of THE most awful jobs) or not wanting to get "hands-on" with their products, especially when the person didn't even choose those products but got stuck with them because it was Daddy's business. Most retailers never have to make what they sell (manufacture is usually done by wholesalers and all the retailer has to do is unpack the stuff and stick it on the shelves) so I would think that being able to make the final product is actually somewhat of a rarity...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>meanwhile, I've advised CJ about the article and received this:
    "We have that account on watch right now already. It's on hold." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    What's "on hold?" Hopefully it means CJ will do the right thing and "nip this in the bud."

cazzie:
    Too bad Mom & Dad's business sunk into the WhenU sewer. I'm sure they deserved better than this.

Wayne

Leader,

You make some very good points...I should have worded my comments differently. My real point was that this is not the type of AM I would want to deal with. Given the gambit of online florists, he would be my last choice after reading his comments.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    It's not just the merchants using these tactics but the websites that report positive influences created by the parasites. Ban Fortune too! Any people reading that article would be jumping at the change for that level of customer acquisition.

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Everyone

I would just like to add that it is excellent to see partners here actively dropping Merchants that are working with Parasites. I know that, sometimes, it is not easy to be 100% free of parasitic merchants (due to Niche requirements, old sites etc) but it certainly makes those of us who are not working with parasites feel a whole lot better to know that YOU are making your impact felt and are DROPPING these people, be they our direct competition or not.

BRAVO!!

Cheers

Chris

<font size="1"> Web Studio-1 Solutions.
    http://www.webstudio-1.com

Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com - Netmagazines.com - KegWorks.com - Left On Main - Pierced Body
    DriveWerks.com - DeluxeGrills.com - Irish Photo Shop - Vegas Experts

<FONT COLOR=red size="1"> A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope </font></font>

I'm sure Mike Perry's family must be proud of him! Taking a family business of 44 years and disgracing it in this manner.

He doesn't like to mess with customers.

He doesn't like to do flower arrangements.

So he partners with a company that allows him to steal from others, and gain financially while he does next to nothing! In my family, we'd call him a DEADBEAT!

Yes, indeed, I'm sure his family is very proud of his accomplishments! And to advertise the dirty deeds to the world! His deceased ancestors must be waiting in line to kick his butt when they see him for disgracing them in this manner.

Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast