Need a little help...thanks in advance
    I know it may seem lazy but as you all know...you only have so much time to learn new stuff. I am a vba guy. So although I could sit down and try to learn all the great stuff about php. I would rather use that time to make my site more "sticky" like so many of you talk about.

What I need is the php code to just download through FTP as many merchants as I am approved for into there own text file. I have seen a few other threads here which tell how to do it..which is great...but they always includ code to import the info into a database like mysql which I am not using. So as you know taking piece of code out that you are not sure on in the first place is going to cause some errors and waste time. I am assuming a lot of pros could write it in several lines in 10 minutes what it would take me several hours to figure out.

Currently I am downloading each .csv file by vendor number and my code imports those file into my database which works great. What is not so great is downloading each file one at a time. Thank in advance...and this is the best forum I have ever found.

Lots of views and no comments...scary?

Did I say something wrong?

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps those looking don't know how to do what you are asking

I thought I was the only one without a clue. That makes me feel better. There are some really smart people here. I have spent hours/days reading their messages and it is weird in that I feel like I know them but since I am new...they rank higher so I won't bother them by PM. It will be awhile before I am in the in crowd. Maybe

ABW Ambassador
    If you want help with coding, then you would be better posting in the code forum

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Thanks....going to check that out right now!!!!

No luck so far...of course I did grab a few tibits of great information that I would have never thought of. Thanks again.

ABW Ambassador
    You could try a forum dedicated to php.

This is an affiliate merketing forum. There are coders here, but there are far more non-coders than coders. Search for php forums

Thanks...this is like my 11th post. I just picked here hoping someone who deals with shareasale could slap that code down and I could be off to the races...sort of.

I'm not certain that I understand the question -- and I'm someone who's spent considerable time over the past 2 years trying to manage the import of datafeeds.

After I re-read your question, I've edited my reply:

If you want a tool that will actually manage the process of identifying which files have been updated on a remote FTP server (or on multiple remote servers), and download the new ones, then you're in exactly the same situation that I am in right now. I'm trying to find a workable solution using PHP (and I, too, am a newbie to PHP).

So my answer is, "I have the exact same requirement. Maybe we could combine our efforts."

Many folks on ABW have done this work, but they aren't interested in sharing it for free.

You wrote: > "I am assuming a lot of pros could write it in several lines in 10 minutes what it would take me several hours to figure out." <

I've spent a lot more than several hours and still can't figure it out, so I think your time estimate is wrong on both sides. It requires some specific planning and an existing database design that includes merchant info (which merchant feeds will be imported, what was the last download date, when was the file last checked for updates, where can the file be found on a remote server?).

Of course, the requirements will quickly expand: ShareASale isn't the only network out there, and each network has a different system for providing access to datafeeds.

Mark, I have read a lot of stuff...look at your pdf and feel your pain. I just assumed you got your answer cause I seen a lot of people trying to help. For me...maybe I am wrong...but I don't need to know if it has been updated or not for now unless my bandwidth becomes an issue. I just want the script to download files to my server and name them as a text file (like their merchant id) in a specific folder. Then my VBA coding will just grab all of those text files and import them into a database.

I know you can't say here...but I really tried to figure out your site so I could see your project. It sounds exciting. I have been thinking about my idea for about 2 years and being unemployed now...give me the time to try it.

a lot of your stuff (AKA messages).

Also, I don't care that the download writes over the previous download. Actually I would hope the php code could delete the file first if it existed.

"Many folks on ABW have done this work, but they aren't interested in sharing it for free."

I can understand that....but I also have found several spots where they have helped the noobs like myself. Like I said...I remember a lot of giving you suggestions and reading your requirements. So since you said you didn't get it worked out...did you decide to go to popshops. I thought I read that in one of your threads.

If I can help you....or you think I can...just ask. I don't know much...but I know a little.

Quote Originally Posted by john the noob
    I just want the script to download files to my server and name them as a text file (like their merchant id) in a specific folder. Then my VBA coding will just grab all of those text files and import them into a database.
    What you want is very simple, just use any of the scripts available here, and just use the part of the script to FTP the files to your server and rename it what ever you want.

If you use any of those ready made scripts here, just delete or comment out, the part of the script that do the Table part.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread