Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    how does retailmenot.com get so many coupons?
    anyone know?? how do they get so many?

Perhaps they have a "proven" record of production or they agree to take less commission to compensate.

You can always ask a merchant for coupons.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

hmm one of the favorite subjects for some of us.
    They take what is not theirs. That's a very nice way of putting it. You can find quite a few threads probably if ya make a search but here's one:
    Not very nice to do to the rest of us

What they do is take every single "exclusive coupon code" they can get their grubby little hands on and post them. Also, they are given exclusive coupon codes of their own by some of their affiliate managers.

Now, I'm gonna be a very good little girl and not post any of them other nice things I'm thinking. lol

Purplebear has the more accurate answer, listen to her. I was assuming you were asking about their real exclusive coupons and not all the other coupons they have.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

RetailMeNot is a great resource to find tons of coupons for tons of sites.
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

they allow user submitted coupons... until the merchant requests to have this function removed
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Yep, most of them are user submitted. One downside to this is that user submitted ones may or may not work. I know that none of the ones I've submitted ever did. Oops, did I just say that out loud?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Yep, most of them are user submitted. One downside to this is that user submitted ones may or may not work. I know that none of the ones I've submitted ever did. Oops, did I just say that out loud?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Classic Michael Classic!

Best Post of '09 candidate.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Classic Michael Classic!

+1
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    [B]Jeff DeBo[/B] | Sr. Marketing Manager - Affiliate
    [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K217424]ProFlowers[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K302833]Personal Creations[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K21765]RedEnvelope[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220460]Cherry Moon Farms[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220455]Shari's Berries[/URL]

P: (858) 909-4203 | E: jdebo(at)providecommerce(dot)com

Yep, I'll second Michael. They're all user submitted. They may import some from network deal feeds, but I doubt they emphasize adding content themselves.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

"Yep, most of them are user submitted. One downside to this is that user submitted ones may or may not work. I know that none of the ones I've submitted ever did. [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] Oops, did I just say that out loud?"

lol hmmm,you've given me an idea lol just kidding.

Agree they do have users submit offers but others have also said in other threads here that they have scraped sites and placed those offers on their site, too. Am not gonna go off on anymore comments regarding them on how they get their coupons on their site but

PLEASE
    I don't know who trustful88 is and don't know if he/she understands what or how users submit coupons and other offers to sites.

So.......please somebody make it clear to them that sites who have their users submit coupons and other offers to them should be responsible for that content. Please don't give them the idea that it's ok to just go posting other so called "exclusive coupons", coupons and other offers that the merchants send out in their emails that are not meant to be posted online, coupons that don't exist by the merchant, etc.

People have their different opinions I guess on what's right or not. All I'm saying is just to please not give this member the impression that what they're doin is ok. Or .......they may think it is and start doin it themselves, too. There are some of us who definitely don't think what they do is ok.

Most of the codes there don't work any way--just inflates their stats so they can brag.

Another thing they now have is local coupons. I don't know if they have an agreement with RedPlum or not to get the printable coupons from their data. If not and RetailMeNot's scraping from them, it's against the TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Purplebear has the more accurate answer, listen to her. I was assuming you were asking about their real exclusive coupons and not all the other coupons they have.
    I had NO idea that retailmenot was stealing exclusives from other sites! I used to always go there whenever I made an online purchase, to make sure I couldn't get it for less. They have a LOT of coupons.

To get AROUND using the site, if they're underhanded, where should we go for coupons for lots of sites, without stopping off at lots of coupon or discount sites? Or should we just ask the vendors?

Colleen

http and a telephoto
    You can get coupon feeds from the networks or get coupons direct from merchants, you should *never*, as an affliliate, take coupons from another coupon site.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thumbs down
    I'm not a merchant - but they have a profile for my site and I supposely have a coupon "Discount 10% Off on order $50 or more"???

Which must means they may have some sort of bot that does take coupons from some external source ...or some provider that has bulk data that is collected from around the web ..

Who knows

~~~~
    retailmenot .com/view/ellatha.com
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Reminds me of those crap sites popular a few years ago that auto-generate pages...
    www. retailmenot.com/view/abestweb.com

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Retailmenot just steals every coupon available.

Anyone notice lately the amount of "spam" coupons retailmenot.com gets?

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post

lots of great information here, great job everyone

I don't buy their whole "user submitted". They do most of them themselves and get them by scraping or entering them themselves. That way when a merchant complains they can say gee we didn't do that, one of our users did as an excuse. And the merchants believe it and dont do anything about it except ask them to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr. View Post
    Classic Michael Classic!

OMG I'm laughing so hard.

Sorry a bit OT (and a bit too late) but too bad this post was not submitted for "The Best Post 2009" vote.

Quote Originally Posted by haiko de poel, jr. View Post
    classic michael classic!

Best post of '09 candidate.
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld View Post
    I don't buy their whole "user submitted". They do most of them themselves and get them by scraping or entering them themselves. That way when a merchant complains they can say gee we didn't do that, one of our users did as an excuse. And the merchants believe it and dont do anything about it except ask them to remove them.
    I agree with you. Don't think all those coupons are "user submitted", its just a way to cover up their booty

Only those coupons may be "user submitted" that don't work:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast