Recession...or Reality Check?
    Certainly, we have all been affected by the economic downturn. But overall, I think that we needed a reality check.
    When did it become acceptable to pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee?
    When did it become essential that children have $200 sneakers or receive video gaming systems and games that cost hundreds of dollars?
    When did it become the norm to take on credit card debt in the hundreds of thousands of dollars?
    When did it become reasonable to purchase a house that you could have never afforded on the advice of a mortgage broker who had nothing but to gain on the sale? And why did we stop reading the fine print and trust salespeople?

I don't know when things started to go wrong, but I do know that there was no way to sustain this "American" lifestyle of revolving debt with no willingness to accept responsibility.

Times are tough, we can all agree. But I think we will be a stronger country when this is behind us and hopefully, people have learned the real meaning of a dollar.

So, let me step off this soapbox of mine and ask the question:

What have you given up/changed in your life because of the economic situation that was hard, but you know is a positive change?
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

ABW Ambassador
    Irrational exuberance
    "Irrational exuberance" is a phrase used by former Federal Reserve Board Chairman Alan Greenspan

maybe the US government can make overspending work this time. it hasn't worked out so well for the people, but the government is much smarter

superCool has given up his gold-dust glitter showers. it was tough but probably for the better

Let me be the first...

Mike and I have given up eating out so much. We also made the conscience effort to support local restaurants in lieu of chains. We discovered an INCREDIBLE Korean place!
    Dyan Carlson

superCool?
    you wouldn't happen to have any video on those showers, would you?
    Dyan Carlson

Does anyone remember that movie, "Dave" with Kevin Kline?
    He gets his accountant to go over the US Budget and the accountant tells him that if he ran his business like the US Government, he would have been out of business!
    Guess you don't have to worry about spending with a seemingly unlimited supply of cash! Run out of cash? Increase taxes!!!!!
    Dyan Carlson

ABW Ambassador
    LUV that movie

I could go to town on this topic and tell it like it is, but I'm suppose to be good while in the forum. These economic woes are the fault of WE THE PEOPLE. We did it. I could explain that, but my explanation would be too controversial.

Affiliate Manager
    I'm with you Dyan...Eating out a lot less. I have learned that I actually enjoy cooking, and am not half bad at it.

Definitely a reality check for us. We looked through all of the subscriptions that we were paying for and not really using, including the water being delivered to the house, the gaming website one of my kids never even used, etc. Chopped off a lot of that kind of stuff and didn't even feel it. Then we started looking at the eating out and cut back considerably. Thankfully we started doing it BEFORE my husband lost his job.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    Times are tough, we can all agree. But I think we will be a stronger country when this is behind us and hopefully, people have learned the real meaning of a dollar.
    I'm not sure how to say this without appearing to be political, but this is meant as just basic economics... I think everyone is going to be in for a big shock when we see what effect the unprecedented government bailouts/spending/taxing has on the value of a dollar. You can't tax yourself out of a recession.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Originally posted by guinness618
    I don't know when things started to go wrong, but I do know that there was no way to sustain this "American" lifestyle of revolving debt with no willingness to accept responsibility.
    Let's see... the govt. just passed an 800 billion dollar "stimulus" bill with no funding for it and the people seem happy about it.

I'd say, nope. Nobody has learned anything.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    ONE RED CENT [off topic?]
    "one of the nation's largest radio station owners might trade for a single penny."

ABC Radio

Affiliate Manager
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

"What have you given up/changed in your life because of the economic situation that was hard, but you know is a positive change?"

Hmmm.... I gave up television.

I also gave up the hope that most people will ever change. I have become a 'gloom and doom' type guy. It is for the better. I don't get disappointed as much.

I also gave up on believing that people will ever actually listen to anything I have to say. That's cool though. Their loss! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    superCool?
    you wouldn't happen to have any video on those showers, would you?
    dear sweet guinness618, you know how the internet is.....once it gets out there it's out there. (and it's out there)

other than the gold-dust showers, superCool has also given up his twice a month coffee runs to Seattle. superCool happened upon a cool little hipster hangout called Starbucks back in the days of punk. he's been flying up there for coffee ever since..rain or shine. there's just no place around here with the same kind of coffee. it would be great if they would open a shop here in Texas.

eagles eggs - another thing I miss, but they're so damned expensive...(and too difficult to collect on your own)

kind of a catch-22 right now - need to save money just in case, but the way the printing presses are working overtime the money you save won't be worth much. might as well spend it all now and have stuff....right?

hmmmm, new business idea - printing press parts, supplies and maintenance

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread