Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How long before you throw in the towel?
    I launched my first affiliate marketing web site nearly 2 months ago. To date, I've had 0 conversions. I'm starting to lose heart, but don't want to throw in the towel too early. How long before you finally admit to yourself that you're in too tough a niche and it's time to move on?

My site focuses on anti-aging skincare products. Advertisers are SkinCareRX and SkinStore. The site is extremely content-rich--- more than half of it newly created. I'm getting hits mostly via my social networks, but am not being found by search engines (they're indexing the site, but not pulling it for keyphrases, so I guess I'm still in the sandbox.) I also just launched a PPC campaign, but again, this being a very tough niche, clicks are coming slowly and nothing's converted yet.

Do the affiliate tracking links in my site send some sort of warning flag to Google--- "don't go here! Thin affiliate" (even though it's filled with content that's relevant to the target audience.) Do I give it a few more weeks, then move on? What's the average length of time before a site take's off?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

15 years and counting
    Fab 40 - What's the average length of time before a site take's off?
    Even well established sites have a tough time to convert right now. Two months is way too early to decide to throw in the towel. It can take 2 years and more for some sites to have a steady organic traffic. (and make some money)
    Your niche is pretty crowded, it's going to be tough for a new site to rank well for your keywords.
    Google don't flag Affiliate tracking links but the quantity of these links may be a problem.

ABW Ambassador
    I' recommend a niche other than anti-aging.
    Google returns 22,100,000

Just because your site is filled with content does not get it off the "thin" affiliate list. I agree with the others anti aging is a tough niche.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Just looked at your site and saw a few things that scream out to me. Tough love coming up:

1) Who runs this site. Is it a doctor or a guy smoking cuban cigars in the tropics? There is no way to tell as you have no "about" the site. I would click off asap and find a trusted source of information before buying.

2) No email addy listed - once again its a trust factor thing.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

15 years and counting
    I didn't have a look at the site.
    The site is extremely content-rich
    That's just cut & paste from the merchant site.
    Why do you have a brand description from SkinCareRx and the products description from SkinStore on the same page? It's plain silly and I'm not sure the merchants would like that.

Your site is just duplicate content and Google don't like it.

You never give up. You just start moving into other niches and try to find the ones that work for you.

It takes time and a bit of money in this business regardless what people say to really get off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MeeMaw
    You never give up. You just start moving into other niches and try to find the ones that work for you.

It takes time and a bit of money in this business regardless what people say to really get off the ground.
    I agree with MeeMaw 100%. I've made many, many sites that have bombed completely, and a much smaller number that have generated a decent amount of revenue. This is normal.. learn from the experience, and keep trying to find the right niche!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

You are right. Needed to hear that from others who have been through the fire. Thanks for helping me figure out next steps---- you are all really good to offer your time and share your experiences with others coming up the ranks.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Who runs this site. Is it a doctor or a guy smoking cuban cigars in the tropics? There is no way to tell as you have no "about" the site. I would click off asap and find a trusted source of information before buying.
    Hmm falcon, I can't find a thing about this guy...maybe you have heard of him...Vinny From Brooklyn., doesn't say a word about who this guy is...yopu know I don't even know if he is from broken maybe he's a guy smoking cuban cigars living in the tropics?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Just keep at it, Google "minisite" and get some ideas, unless you win the lottery or your uncle is Jeff Bezos you are going to need more than one site to make a good buck
    Last edited by Robin1; March 10th, 2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: jb

Just out of curiosity, how did you get to be a .org? This looks like a totally commercial site to me, don't see signs of the usual ".org" here.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Just out of curiosity, how did you get to be a .org? This looks like a totally commercial site to me, don't see signs of the usual ".org" here.
    There are no restrictions to registering .org domains. ICANN lost control YEARS ago...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

In the affiliate marketing arena, you just keep on keeping on if you want to make money ... actually, I don't want to make money ... I want to make a PROFIT.

I have had one page sites make money for 10 years like clockwork and then zippo.

I have had pages do nothing for months, then all of a sudden sales start showing up on a consistent basis.

I have sent traffic direct to Ebay for a decade and make money every month. Sometimes serious money ... sometimes not.

I used to make good money from Clickbank, but that died on the vine for some reason.

If you find something that works, keep doing it. There is NO magic bullet ... except effort and perserverance.

Right NOW, Blogs with a large number of readers are as good a way to make money as any. Buy as much traffic as you can get for the lowest possible price. If the traffic volume is high, the blog almost always gets a good Google listing and then you get traffic that can make you some good money.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have a "content" site I launched last summer with virtually no affiliate links - just some AdSense. And I get about 40 visits per day - that's all! But it is in a fairly crowded field.

The key is to get natural back links from a variety of sources related to your niche. And that may be very difficult if you are in a crowded field. Offer something very novel and very valuable. It is getting tougher and tougher. Content alone does not do it as there are many sites/blogs filled with unique gobblety-gook garbage-content, that to a search spider, are no different than a quality content site - so you get the same garbage rankings. The difference between your good quality site and a garbage site is the number of quality, relevant backlinks.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Right now some of the alleged "gurus" are evangelizing the idea of building a hundred or more sites, all making a few bucks a day.

i.e. 100 x $2 = $70k a year and don't stop at 100

Thank You.
    Thanks very much. All these posts have helped me to put things into perspective. Great advice!

Just looked at your homepage, which I assume is the site you are referring to. Doing a search of a string of your "content" from the home page, I see that this is shared content. See http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=%22Re...fp=w4rzjNLR2Ts
    So you are being hit with a duplicate content penalty. It has nothing to do with being an affiliate as much as it has to do with posting content that is already being posted by many other sites.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It can take years to really get off the ground. You're competing with experienced veteran affiliates like the ones at ABestWeb and while there are true and trusted SEO rules to follow and keep up with, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason.

As an example, I had a blog that I used to operate and for two years I blogged every day. Then I gave writing on the blog and 5 months later traffic started coming to the blog.

In t his industry you need to work at it and don't give up. Continue to read articles about SEO, visit this forum regularly and pick up revenue magazine for some good affiliate marketing tips.

Duplicate Content
    Cheesehead, thanks for your reply. I have a lot of original content mixed with duplicate content on my site. I just want to be sure I'm clear on this: Google won't spider a site if it contains any duplicate content?

Content
    you are being hit with a duplicate content penalty. It has nothing to do with being an affiliate as much as it has to do with posting content that is already being posted by many other sites.
    Well said. The most time consuming task for organic traffic is content content, and more content, and also updated content.

Quote Originally Posted by Fab_40
    Cheesehead, thanks for your reply. I have a lot of original content mixed with duplicate content on my site. I just want to be sure I'm clear on this: Google won't spider a site if it contains any duplicate content?
    Google will spider your site regardless of whether or not you have duplicate content.

The more original content your site has, the better Google likes likes it. Google has a scorecard. You have an original page, Google adds points to your score. you have duplicate content, Google takes away points, you reproduce content and link back to the source they don't take away as many points.

When somebody does a search, Google looks at the search terms and the pages that have the terms and the scorecard and delivers results.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fab_40
    How long before you throw in the towel?
    Sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    There are no restrictions to registering .org domains. ICANN lost control YEARS ago...
    Da doh! Thanx for the info.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Robin1
    Google will spider your site regardless of whether or not you have duplicate content.

The more original content your site has, the better Google likes likes it. Google has a scorecard. You have an original page, Google adds points to your score. you have duplicate content, Google takes away points, you reproduce content and link back to the source they don't take away as many points.

When somebody does a search, Google looks at the search terms and the pages that have the terms and the scorecard and delivers results.
    Nice analogy! Is this your own, or have you read this somewhere? How do you know that fewer "points" are taken away if you link back to the source? If you have a source, please post.

Even assuming this score card, there are many nice looking sites (usually made-for-adsense blogs) with unique content, but when you read the content, you find it is good looking mumbo jumbo written by outsourced writers (or computer generated?). So unless Google strongly considers factors besides simply uniqueness and relevancy, they can end listing such nonsense sites too highly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast