Joomla add on question
    I am using Joomla to build my first website. It's been challenging, but I'm learning. I am hosting my website thru godaddy and they offer free add on's for the web site. I have "installed" a gallery and a forum but for the life of me can't figure out how to get them "into" joomla. I tried the "install add on" from joomla and tried to tie it to the directory that I "installed" the gallery and forum into...

Help???

Well - your first problem is hosting with GoDaddy.

People have problems with their sites there all of the time.

You need to change host and get a real host.

A lot of us here use HostGator http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

ok...but
    I only signed up with Godaddy for 30 days...so I can transfer after 30...but I believe the question still remains in how to tie the other programs in to Joomla...

Quote Originally Posted by KnickKnacks4less
    I only signed up with Godaddy for 30 days...so I can transfer after 30...but I believe the question still remains in how to tie the other programs in to Joomla...
    Firts make sure that the programs that you are attempting to install are Joomla extensions. My guess is that they aren't and are standard add-ons for any site, not Joomla specific. It's not that you can't make non Joomla applications work from within Joomla, but it sounds like you are pretty new to Joomla so I really wouldn't recommend taking that route.

To find applications that are designed to work specifically with Joomla got to the Joomla Extensions Directory. Here you'll find over 4,000 extensions and applications that were specifically designed to work within the Joomla environment and a wide variety of "bridge" tools that make working with non-Joomla applications easier (or in some cases possible). Most of the extensions you'll find here are Open Source (free!) or have similar licenses, though there are some commercial extensions available that do require a fee.

A good example of a non Joomla specific application working within the Joomla environment is the Joomla.org Forum that is Powered by phpBB. The forum admins are likely using an application like the Joomla - phpBB 3 bridge: Pb bridge or the have developed their own hack to allow integration (which I really wouldn't recommend unless you are very well versed in Joomla core code and PHP). There are also forums that are specifically designed to work within Joomla and may be a little easier to integrate and work with (I haven't used any of these myself).

I would also recommend not using GoDaddy as a Joomla host. There have been several reported issues with their implementation and the work arounds available usually aren't worth the trouble. You can find more information on the Joomla Forum which is a good place to start learning more about Joomla and Joomla resources. You'll find recommend hosts, information on installing and using many popular extensions and work arounds for GoDaddy. If you can't find the information that you're looking for, ask. You'll find the users there very knowledgeable and helpful (like here ).

I'd really recommend that you start with Joomla.org and take a look at their different sections on working with Joomla, from getting started to contributing to the Joomla community. Trust me, this is your best resource for getting started with Joomla, it will save you hours of trying to figure it out on your own and possibly give you some new ideas on ways to work with Joomla.

Good luck!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

A million thank yous
    My problem was that I thought that you could use any add on with Joomla. (Must have missed that part in the research). While someday, I may be savvy enough to use these bridge programs..I'm not there yet. I've installed the proper Joomla add on's and I'm on my way.

A million thanks for the assistance. I hope that some day I can repay by sharing my knowledge with the next generation newbie.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey! What a coincidence, I was just playing with Joomla and GoDaddy this weekend! There are some HTML wrapper modules that work with Joomla, you might give that a go? Also, ditto what Rematt said, the Joomla community is a solid group of folks, I'm sure they'd be able to help.

Finally, I didn't really have much of an issue implementing Joomla with GoDaddy...as soon as I figured out they had a custom installation process (in fact they have this for a good many CMS tools). All I did was click a link, and Joomla was ready to go.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    While we're on the topic, would there be any interest in a ShareASale module for Joomla, or do HTML wrappers pretty much do the trick for you guys?

Module > Wrapper any day.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread