Putting together NEW affiliate programme
    Hi,

My name is Sean.

I'm creating a new AP for a software product which will payout 30% commission per sale recurring yearly for the lifetime of the rebill. This equates to about $15/sale/rebill. Buyers can and will buy multiple liceneses of the product and the commission stands for the total sale.
    Also we will offer a Two Tier Programme with a further 30% commission per sale.

What I would like without offending the posters here is some information:

1. Is an in house affiliate software solution suitable or would affiliates rather see us using Shareasale?

2. What do affiliates demand from an Affiliate Programme to make them happy?

3. Is there anything we can offer that will interest affiliates to sign up?

I am trying to build a programme with input by affiliates for affiliates.

We have one product currently live and we have 3 more to come on stream over the next 3-6 months.
    We currently have traditional resellers/distributors but we have no web marketing currently and my job is to remedy that.
    Any and all comments welcome.

Sean

Affiliate Manager
    Sean,

I thought I would try to answer some of your questions from a merchant's perspective.

The reason we went with a network (ShareASale) was because I think affiliates prefer it. They don't know you at all, but they know the network, and have built a relationship of trust with them over the years. Also, since they're already signed up with SAS, it's one less thing to manage.

Also, being a part of a network makes it easier for affiliates to find you. Since they're already a part of SAS, they can find you there in the new programs section and in your specific category. The chances of them finding you there are much higher than them finding your specific website on their own.

As far as what affiliates want to make them happy, I understand a good commission always helps. But communication, responsiveness, and fairness also seem to rank high.

As far as interest, some companies offer a bonus to affiliates to get them to sign up, or to put up links, or on their first or second sale.

The fact that you're asking these questions ahead of time sounds like you're on the right track.

Just my 2 cents.

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    Hi Sean,

I'll second the above opinion and would like to add a couple of thoughts I hope will help:

Working with a network vs an in house program reduces or removes any mistrust an affiliate might have in regards to payouts, tracking and commission being owed. The network always tries to make sure their tracking is working, payments are on time and are almost a third party mediator in case there are any major challenges. Affiliates therefore feel a little more at ease working with programs that are in a reputable network.

As for ways to get affiliates signed up - just make sure you have a fair commission, are available to them and try to provide as much information about the product / service as you can so affiliates can decide if it's a fit for their site or if they would like to create a site specifically for it. The more information you include the better. Things like average order size, conversion rates, product demand, keywords, product descriptions and tools (banners, text links, coupons) are all helpful. If they see that there is demand, you've provided them with tools that will help them sell / convert and they have an interest in the product, then you'll be good to go.

It's also a good idea to post an announcement here on ABW once your program is live and include the link for them to sign up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Verdant,

Going through the process with SAS.

By the time we get it all in place I would say we can have something ready by the end of next week.

I hear what your saying about bonus's and that is something we can implement very quickly with commission levels up to 50% available to proven sellers.

Thanks for the input.

Sean

Hi Sarah,

Good point on the SAS v In House Programme.

Once I figure out the landing page codes for SAS we will progress to the next step. I am sure I am missing something simple.
    Anyone who can help it would be appreciated.
    We will bin the in house programme.

I know we can offer great commission levels and as it is quite unique as a product regarding computer/laptop security I think affiliates will like selling the product.
    There will also be new addon products related to the initial one which affiliates will get commission on with existing customers when we launch them later in the year.
    Also multiple sales will generate excellent revenue.
    Finally there is the yearly recurring renewals which will pay the same commission.

As soon as it is ready I will post a request for some affiliates to try out before we announce so we have any potential bugs fixed.

Have a great day,

Sean

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread