Angry Shareasale need to do a better job
    Shareasale need to do a better job of notifying an affiliate when a merchant closes their program.

Everyday I check my online status of my merchants. Today I see that I generated an invalid link from DHGate. I checked and nowhere is DHGate listed in my list of merchants. In the pass I would see "Closed" and the merchant would still be listed with all of my active merchants. So I click on DHGate and go to their merchant page and see that they are CLOSED. No e-mail from DHGate, nothing from Shareasale. At least on CJ, GAN and Linkshare I get an e-mail that the merchant closed their program. The last thing listed for DHGate was a transaction on 03/01/2009.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I agree. Never understood why SAS doesn't generate an email to all affiliates that are joined to a merchant telling them the change in status of the merchant.

I was going to say that is a lack of common courtesy but in reality it is worse. This isn't a matter of forgetting to invite Jimmy to a second grade birthday party, it is business and SAS should be keenly aware that these are times when such oversights can annoy the people they are the source of their income.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Brian is too busy dealing with the toolbar crowd to take care of the business of Shareasale. He has seemed to forget, that one less click to a Sharasale merchant
    or one less happy affiliate can impact his revenue.

But hey, toolbars are so NOW. And heaven forbid, he is not with the cool people and going broke faster than Citigroup.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    boningroup,

I'll look into it - usually if the merchant program is closed a newsletter is sent out to that group of affiliates but I'll go in and check. If you can send me your userID or username via email that would help as well.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    I checked and nowhere is DHGate listed in my list of merchants.
    I just checked and I'm in the same boat. Sending wasted traffic to a gone merchant. I watch for emails on closings close too.

Danny, You don't post a lot, but I find that when you do they are gems.

I just checked and I'm in the same boat.
    My bad. I must have gotten a notice because I had them on GAN.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell

Danny, You don't post a lot, but I find that when you do they are gems.
    You're making me BLUSH! I did get an e-mail this morning saying Oh Toy was closing IMMEDIATELY. That comes after yesterday's 11 e-mails from NetShops on Pepperjam closing yet more stores. I wonder if the move to PJ was what they thought it would be! It seems lately that I am removing more shops than I am adding.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    My bad. I must have gotten a notice because I had them on GAN.
    I'm showing them alive and well in GAN

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    boningroup,

I'll look into it - usually if the merchant program is closed a newsletter is sent out to that group of affiliates but I'll go in and check. If you can send me your userID or username via email that would help as well.
    Brian,

I can't remember ever seeing an email from SAS (only from a merchant) where we were notified before or after a program closing.

~ Denis
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    Brian,

I can't remember ever seeing an email from SAS (only from a merchant) where we were notified before or after a program closing.

~ Denis
    I never gotten one either.

Have never received an email from SAS and only get them from a merchant IF they are responsible & courteous, which as we know, is not everyone by any stretch of the imagination. Too many merchants simply close shop or leave the program with NO notice to any of their affiliates.

I'm a SAS fan but I must say, this problem with offline merchants -- both temporary & permanent -- is definitely the weak link. We've had this discussion here a bunch of times and I don't see much improvement (if any), and probably won't until SAS announces a clear "carrot & stick" policy of rewarding merchants that stay online and "punishing" those merchants who can't seem to keep it together. It's really an aggravation that happens much too often and is a real embarassment to this otherwise fine company.

The newsletters would come directly from the Merchant even if we "authored" them - usually they are authored by the Merchant as part of our closing steps.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

SAS should tell us when a merchant is gone , or offline, or low on funds, or whatever, whether the merchant does or not.

BurgerBoy,

There is an RSS feed for offline/low funds information, as well as an offline custom redirect that you can set in your account. Whenever a merchant is offline and you send a click to them - we redirect it back to you to whatever page you define in your settings along with the MerchantID information... If you need further explanation on how that works let me know...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    There is an RSS feed for offline/low funds information,
    Same old question, same old answer. What if I don't use RSS?

Brian, why sending an email out to affiliates of deactivate merchants will be so hard for SAS? All networks have been sending email notifications out except SAS. Are you really that stubborn?

Brian
    I've never gotten any emails from any merchants that I can remember either. As to the rss feed:

Quite a while back when I opted into your rss feeds I opted into all that were there to opt into but I only get the feed that's for coupons (and offers) and new merchants. (I get them with no problem) Not sure if there was a boo boo with the rss subscription maybe? I've never gotten any for offline/low funds information . May be that you've just recently added that one? Only know that I subscribed originally to all that you offered but have only ever gotten those two I mentioned. (I very much like both of them, tho )

Do agree that it would be very helpful to receive an email from the network informing us of closed programs.

"What if I don't use RSS?"

Mayfly - Certainly and most definitely am not tryin to tell ya what to do. but "try it, you'll like it"

Not sure why ya don't but can tell ya there doesn't exisit probably a more computer techie challenged person than me. All I have is just a plain ole regular Yahoo account. All I have to do to subscribe to one of these feeds (and have quite a few of em, even one for here) is click on the little rss feed thingie icon. Choose Yahoo, think it then asks if I'm sure I wanna do it, say yes and that's it. Very, very simple....honest even I can do it I don't do anything after that. I go to my yahoo page and ta da....there it is everyday starin me in the face. Nothin fancy, just looks like plain ole regular text with links. Really is very, very helpful. Only problem for me is I'll see the new programs as they become available, spot one that may look good, I apply......and now I've got a mile long list of merchants to put on my site and am waaaaaay behind on things. lol

Am only lettin ya know, in case ya might think ya have to be a computer smarty to do the rss feed stuff.....nope, even a computer dummy like myself can do it

Ooooops I did forget to say. I do use the redirect that SAS offers.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    "What if I don't use RSS?"

Mayfly - Certainly and most definitely am not tryin to tell ya what to do. but "try it, you'll like it"
    Purplebear, I was simply making a statement there. I had SAS RSS set up for years. Don't really check them daily as checking my emails.

There might be somebody else don't check their RSS feed daily as well, but I'm sure everybody check their emails first thing in the morning.

ok
    just wanted to let ya know in case you mighta been like me. lol

I only see em every day cos Yahoo is one of the places I go everyday cos have an email account there, too. One of these days I'll get brave and figure out how to have all my emails in one place. uhhhh me gettin brave probably is not gonna happen too soon, tho.Got an awful lotta other things waitin for my bravery and it is a very slow process.

Regarding the RSS feed, I would only want offline status via RSS for my own merchants, NOT for every merchant that may be offline at any given time. 99% of them have nothing to do with our websites, so it's meaningless information.

And, I'd not want coupon offers or any other kind of solicitations from anyone unless we specifically request it.

The only thing I want to know is this:

Which of MY merchants is now offline? (Yes, I know I can check the affiliate admin panel, and I do, but not every hour of every day, and an offline merchant is, for my purposes, something I'd like to know about within the hour).

If the RSS feed can notify us only about the merchants we promote, then that's a fine alternative. If not, then given the seriousness of the offline problem at Share-A-Sale (it's very serious), SAS admin can help everyone if they'd install a program that can send an auto-generated email to each affiliate when one of their own merchants goes offline.

The merchant goes offline ===>>> We get a notice.

Very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    Same old question, same old answer. What if I don't use RSS?

Brian, why sending an email out to affiliates of deactivate merchants will be so hard for SAS? All networks have been sending email notifications out except SAS. Are you really that stubborn?
    They're too busy trying to keep up with the toolbars.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    All networks have been sending email notifications out except SAS.
    GAN seems to do the best job of sending email prior to actual termination of advertiser. That's not enough to make me like them better than SAS though.

I get the feed, but like someone said there is too much data that doesn't concern me. I rarely check it because it's too time consuming with all the stops and starts do to low funds.

What John Powell and Aphiliac said. RSS is easy and nifty, but sifting through tons of irrelevant listings isn't efficient. I can log into my account and look up this faster, but as Aphiliac said, you don't want to log in every hour to check merchants.

Interestingly enough, SAS has the time to develop "complicated testing" programs so they can allow toolbars but can't address seemingly easier issues like notifying affiliates by email that a merchant closed, is offline or low on funds.
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I just set up the RSS as a Live Bookmark in my FF browser - easy enough. I am seeing all merchants that are low on funds or offline. I can skim through them all and keep a look out for mine.

Is there a way to see only my merchants? That would be very nice.

Another question: What about merchants that leave SAS - do these show up in the RSS listing? If not, will we always get an email notification of their departure, even if the merchant does not bother?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread