Affiliate Manager
    Any computer experts around?
    My computer screen is starting to look like the Matrix. All the images and text have great grey shadows around them and it is a straigh line across the page with the width of the image or text size. It looks like someone shaded it in lightly with a pencil.

I just replaced the monitor and that didn't help any. I reformatted my hard drive (needed it anyways) and that didn't help as well. My hard drive is starting to sound funny though. When I reboot it sounds like an old car in the cold weather.

So could the fuzzy monitor be a sign that my hard drive is about to go kaput?

ABW Ambassador
    Blink.

Happy to help.

did you try a different video card?

and HD's shouldn't sound like old cars.. better backup.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>did you try a different video card?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No, never changed anything since I got the computer, accept for the monitor just today. Guess it is off to Best Buy tommorrow for a new hard drive

Affiliate Manager
    Just rebooted again...

Failure predicted on Primary Master. Back Up Your Data and Replace Your Hard Drive Immediately. A Disk Failure may occur. Press F2 To Continue.

I guess that sums it all up

Affiliate Manager
    Just upgraded to a new hard drive (working great!). Still have the monitor problems though.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    did you try a different video card?

No, never changed anything since I got the computer, accept for the monitor just today. Guess it is off to Best Buy tommorrow for a new hard drive
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you should get a new video card. That was your problem, not the monitor, nor the hard drive. I suppose if you wanted to be absolutely sure, you could upgrade the driver software first, but since you upgraded thwe harddisk, you probasbly did it in the conversion. Anyway, if I was you. I would reinstall the disgarded harddrive. The extra space couldn't hurt, return the new monitor, you didn't need it. Of course if its bigger, I suppose you could keep that too. And go back to best buys and buy a video card.

What I don't understand is why you didn't listen to Canadian.

Mike

Hopefully your not running onboard video, otherwise the following can't help you.

Before you go any buy a new video card, take your box apart and remove the old video card, then put it back into the machine. Sometimes, reseeding the card does wonders.

And if that doesn't work, try moving it to another slot on the mother board.

If you've got an old PC laying around with a card in it, you can try putting it into your machine to see if that fixes it.

As a last resort, go buy a new video card.

-----------------------------
    Scott

"Can't we all just get along? Only when we've been drinking."

Chet,

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for your video card and also check to see if there is an updated driver. Sometimes they can get messed up.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TravelDepot:
    And if that doesn't work, try moving it to another slot on the mother board.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It definetly sounds like a video card. Note: Inside your computer AGP slots are brown and PCI slots are white. Most computers these days come with AGP video cards. Others have on-board video (no card). You can not try different slots with an AGP card because there is only one. AGP video cards don't fit into PCI slots. If you have a computer with a PCI video card I feel for you. They are the worst. Check to see if you have an AGP slot(brown)in your box. Change the card and you should be good to go.

BradleyB

"Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed."
    - George Burns (1896-1996)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eVitamins Chet:
    it is a straigh line across the page with the width of the image or text size. It looks like someone shaded it in lightly with a pencil.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't imagine what your screen looks like from the description, but if you see faint horizontal lines this is a feature of all monitors based on Tron technology (Trinitron, Sonytron etc) - there are two faint horizontal lines which are the shadow of wires which hold a grill in place. You can't get rid of them (and they cause more angry customers and unnecessary monitor replacements than anything else.)

The rest of the problem could be that you have the lowest screen resolution set. If you can't increase it you will need to re-install the video driver.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread