Question Question about choosing a domain name
    Everything I have seen says that it is essential to select a domain name that has your target keywords in it so that you will come up high on a Google search.

Yet when I do a search for make money online the highest ranking domain that even has the word money somewhere in it comes up 9th.

There are even 2 of the three top results hosted at blogspot.com. So much for the conventional wisdom "you have to have your own web site".

Am I trying to read too much into this single observation, or am I on to something?

ABW Ambassador
    Results 1 - 10 of about 234,000,000 for make money online

No competition there [smile]

ABW Ambassador
    There are many factors involved. Not just domain name choice.

As Julian said, there are many factors. But, domain name is definitely 1 of them. If you are just starting out with a brand new site and you have the ability to choose a domain name (as compared to trying to use one you already own), it's a good idea to choose one with your target keywords in it as it can only be a positive influence on your overall 'score'.

With that said, a site with really solid and focused content hosted on blogspot is going to do better than a site with minimal content with the best domain in any niche.

Many Variables
    Hey Robin1,

Although it's great to have a keyword rich URL it's not everything. Do the best you can to get a good name, but really it's SEO, relevance, page rank and myriad of other factors. Get your sit up and then work out the details. I

If you are doing 'make money from home' campaigns I would suggest signing up for these two KILLER programs:

Check out the the 123Employee Affiliate Program.

If you have a base of clients you can help them start saving money while improving their operations with a Virtual Assistant Services.

All you do is link them to the order form for my free book ‘Outsource This!’ which will explain all the great benefits of having a virtual assistant. If they decide to hire one of our agents, you get 50% of the first month of service for each agent hired.

This can become quite a nice chunk of change. For example, if one of your referrals hires one agent you receive $450. If one of your referrals hires ten agents you receive $4,500!

We can offer these kinds of payouts because we know that your referrals are going to be so thrilled with this program and that they’ll become profitable long term clients.

This is a real win-win deal.

You help your client base by giving them a book for free ($39 value) and help them out with their business while you receive some healthy checks for almost no effort.
    Click here now to sign up

And:

The Magic Button Lead Generator

These are both great programs for you to market.

Good luck!

Daven

Hey 123Dude, you're starting to sound a little SPAMMY. I know you're new here and I know you paid for a program announcement, but come on, the answer to every post can't be "join my program".

You would do well to perhaps read a little more and get an idea of how we interact before continuing to post the same info about your program. Soon you're gonna start to piss some people off.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

you know i had something really intellegent to say and do you know what happened? It dissappeared. If you find my intelligence please return it.

-rematt

Thanks for the heads up. To be honest with you I'm new to the site. I'm really not clear on when and if its appropriate to pitch my program. I just went through the posts today and noticed a lot of people pitching their program. So I did the sayme. What do you suggest? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 123Employee
    I'm really not clear on when and if its appropriate to pitch my program. I just went through the posts today and noticed a lot of people pitching their program. So I did the sayme. What do you suggest? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Pitch it where you HONESTLY see a good fit. Freebies was really pushing the envelope don't ya think? I know when you're selling hammers there's a tendency to wish that everything was a nail, but use a little restraint.

Get to know the users here and what they're looking for and use your announcement thread to provide updates and incentives (as far as it's allowed, I'm not sure of the rules for paid announcements).

BTW, I have a B2B site which looks like it may be a good fit for your program, I'll apply in the next day or so, no arm twisting necessary.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

-rematt

---My apologies to the OP for further derailing this thread. That is all.---
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks!
    Thanks I really do appreciate the feedback!

Daven

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin1
    Everything I have seen says that it is essential to select a domain name that has your target keywords in it so that you will come up high on a Google search.

Yet when I do a search for make money online the highest ranking domain that even has the word money somewhere in it comes up 9th.

There are even 2 of the three top results hosted at blogspot.com. So much for the conventional wisdom "you have to have your own web site".

Am I trying to read too much into this single observation, or am I on to something?
    You could own MakeMoneyOnline/dot/com and not rank at all in Google for "Make Money Online" (which by the way "only" has Results 1 - 10 of about 16,400,000 for "make money online". - In quotation marks, more exact).

Content is king - first and foremost. Keep it fresh and relevant.

Look up "Affiliate Programs" in Google - majority of ranked sites do not have "Affiliate Programs" in their domain - but their content makes up for that.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

You know it's true, content is king. But having said that. I have a website that we have been doing SEO work on for years and that I write content for on a weekly basis. I am number one on Yahoo, number one on MSN and number two on Google. I am second on Google to some company that has a crappy flash website, but who's company happens to be the exact keyword name. So go figure. One trick that I have found helpful it to buy an older domain, but you can't to it from a host as they will just flip the date back to the current date after the transaction. You have to buy it from a private party.

Daven

What about having dashes in the website name...does it hurt or is there no affect..

i.e. make-money-online/dot/com

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KnickKnacks4less
    What about having dashes in the website name...does it hurt or is there no affect..

i.e. make-money-online/dot/com
    Dashes do not help or hinder in regards to SEO.

Just remember, where there is a dash, someone trying to remember the site name may omit it during a direct type-in...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I've heard that it helps, but I have NEVER found that to be the case.

Just my humble opinion, but when it comes to "online money making" sites, choosing a keyword rich domain name isn't going to help you that much since all of the good, natural sounding, keyword combinations are taken.

You'll probably end up with something akward like MakeMoneyOnlineTodayHonestReviewsBlog.org and will fail to distinguish yourself from all the other cheap looking "me too" sites out there.

I think it makes more sense to use keywords in the name where you are dealing with a smaller niche and less competition and it sounds natural to include them. In your case, I'd either come up with something unique sounding and try to create a brand around it or use your own personal name for a blog.

In either case, your ability to get anywhere in the make money online market is likely going to rest entirely on your ability to create good content that others are really interested in, using some basic SEO and taking advantage of web 2.0 traffic generation techniques to build a following.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread