Add Hawaii to states seeking sales tax
    as well as Massachusetts, Connecticut, etc . . .

article on InternetRetailer.com:
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=29668

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ

Five down and 40 more to go - unfortunately.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Here's my thinking on the subject, and it very well could be misguided. States collecting sales tax on online sales is inevitable. With more and more ecommerce happening each year, and their brick-and-mortar sales tax revenue declining, governments need to make up the difference somewhere. Why not go after the online sales? It's only a matter of time.

And since it's only a matter of time, better to happen sooner rather than later. That way, every merchant will have to come up with a viable gameplan for the changes that doesn't involve terminating every affiliate everywhere. No?

If enough states pass the law, and merchants respond by axing their affiliates, that's not good for their business either. Making the (false) assumption that affiliate revenue is generated equally among all states, merchants may be willing to sacrifice 1/50th or 2/50ths of their affiliate-driven revenue. But 5/50ths - 10%? 20/50ths? tThere's a tipping point of sorts in terms of states with internet sales tax that must be reached that will force the merchants to address the issue in more responsible and mutually beneficial terms for their affiliates.

Minnesota, Connecticut, California, Illinois, Tennessee, Hawaii just a few of them. Every affiliate needs to examine pending and proposed legislation. Some of these have already passed the Assembly & Senate and are just awaiting the Governor's signature.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

I agree that merchants won't cut affiliates even if the taxed amount reached such a high threshold. Merchants would have to improve their product line and only promote products that convert at the highest and bring in the highest profit.

Great Post..

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ

Texas is mentioned in that article at one point. Does anyone know what the situation in Texas is regarding this stuff?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by affninja
    And since it's only a matter of time, better to happen sooner rather than later. That way, every merchant will have to come up with a viable gameplan for the changes that doesn't involve terminating every affiliate everywhere. No?
    I agree with you on that point.
    I don't like the idea of an affiliate being marginalized based upon the resident state of the affiliate.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Important update here regarding the hearing and also the staus of Hawaii affiliates and Amazon
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=117537
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    Texas is mentioned in that article at one point. Does anyone know what the situation in Texas is regarding this stuff?

I haven't been able to find any active legislation to redefine nexus. I do know Texas is considering the Streamlined Sales Tax Project (SSTP) but that is a long term goal at best. That was what the article was referring to.

I will check my notes and go take another look at their current definition of nexus and let you know more about the current status.

Some states like Virginia, already have a law worded to include affiliates as creating a nexus. The law is simply not being currently enforced.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

I knew that Massachusetts would be one of the other ones following suite right after. They don't nickname Massachusetts, "Taxachusetts" for no reason

Hawaii and Massachusetts have also introduced legislation that would require all online and catalog retailers to collect sales tax on Internet orders received from their state residents, regardless of whether the retailers maintain a physical presence in those states, Schibley notes.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    They don't nickname Massachusetts, "Taxachusetts" for no reason
    Isn't that ironic that Massachusetts was the home of the Boston Tea Party? No taxation without representation etc...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I know... time for a tea party!

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    I haven't been able to find any active legislation to redefine nexus. I do know Texas is considering the Streamlined Sales Tax Project (SSTP) but that is a long term goal at best. That was what the article was referring to.

I will check my notes and go take another look at their current definition of nexus and let you know more about the current status.
    Thanks!
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread