What is your policy regarding affiliates who copy another site's meta-tags or other content in order to drive traffic to their site by pilfering the efforts of the original site's owner?

Merchant responses only, please.

Unethical. Buh bye. That's my response.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well Mr. Akiva, talk is cheap.

Action is cheap too, when you compare it to the cost of inaction.

xxxxxxx.com continues to use content stolen from a competitor to drive traffic to your offers.

The victim has kindly given you the opportunity to do the right thing, as his beef is with xxxxxxxx.com, not with you or Essential Apparel.

[Edited to remove another affiliates domain]

[This message was edited by BLFH (Ms. B) on June 22, 2003 at 03:05 PM.]

Apparently it is not as cheap as you think it is. The site you are referring to has been removed from the EssentialApparel.com affiliate program after an email was sent with no response.

Is that not what you wanted me, as the AM, to do?

Akiva Bergstrom
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Play by the rules set down by honest AM's like Akiva and you to can make money by earning it the old fashion way. Shady affiliate practices have been with us since inception of affiliate marketing as cockroaches always find the cracks in the system to nest in.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Essential Apparel Links are still working... Your cancellation must be on a 7 day remove at CJ. Akiva, maybe you can contact CJ about this problem. This person seems to be in violation of CJ's guidelines. They need to be dropped from the networks completly.

Allen

Show me the Big Bucks!

ABW Ambassador
    Essential Apparel's links do still work on that site. Hopefully once the 7 day period has expired, they no longer will. Just a heads up, Akiva, since I know you'll want to confirm this.

Thank you Mister Akiva. I didn't know, as the links on his site are still leading to yours.

It will just make things less complicated when action is taken against xxxxxx if EA is no longer deriving benefit from the culprit's acts.

I don't want the extra billables and I'm sure you don't either

If this jerk gets too comfortable with the idea of pirating content from other sites, who knows how far he will go and how many he will cause problems for if he ever gets motivated to "expand" his offerings.

[Edited another affiliate's domain]

[This message was edited by BLFH (Ms. B) on June 22, 2003 at 03:08 PM.]

I'd just like to point out that in any case of copying, I send an email to the accused party letting them know of the accusation and give them a chance to explain (sometimes it can actually be quite complicated - and may be partners that split up). If I do not receive a response within a few days, I deactivate the affiliate account on the theory that silence equals admission.

Also, when contacting a merchant regarding site copying, you should take screenshots and save them, email them... make sure that you have proof even if Google's cache is updated without the copied content.

It is also my understanding that even after the CJ 7 day period, CJ links will forward but will not track to the affiliate. I think it works since the AID, the last set of digits in the qksrv link, is set to forward to the advertiser regardless of the PID.

Akiva Bergstrom

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Deelz,

You should know better than to post another affiliates URL. And 3 times in one thread.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Akiva:
    Unethical. Buh bye. That's my response.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it dissapointing that only one merchant has responded to the initial question.

I was also dissapointed with Overstock's response to this iisue that it was a matter between me and the other affiliate and nothing to do with them. (Posts deleted along with the entire Overstock forum). Overstock's comment that it was hard to prove "who copied who" is also hurtful as it implies that they don't believe me and I may even be the guilty party!! A rather dismissive way to treat an affiliate who sold over 50k of products for them last month.

So even though this other affiliate has admitted to me in writing (email) that the page on their site was copied from mine, they are still going to be paid the commission they earned from it and I assume will remain as an affiliate. Theft is theft, wether through scumware or through ripping off someone elses work and it would be nice if there was more than one merchant willing to acknowledge this in a public forum.

Affiliate Manager
    Mellow-
    I apologize for not speaking up earlier- sometimes I think I assume because it is clear in our contract, our stance is known.

It is against our contract to violate another's copyright. We always check extenuating circumstances- like site ownership and html and use archive.org and we print copies obsessively. I also visit legal before I turn anyone off.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The site you are referring to has been removed from the EssentialApparel.com affiliate program <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems odd that a terminated affiliate would have access to all the latest links.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread