ABW Ambassador
    Product Display Builder Gone
    One of my favorite tools of Avantlink "Product Display Builder" has gone. Instead, they replace it with "Product Ad Widget" which is way too much to go through for a simple product display.

"Product Display Builder: Legacy: The Product Ad Widget will be replacing the Product Display Builder, but we will still allow affiliates to edit existing product displays."

Avantlink, would you please add the "Product Display Builder" back?

Oh noes! How do you write content for a widget? That's a limiting move. I guess it works out OK if you have a certain type of site, but it's not the same at all.

YIKES! The product display builder was one of the best, easiest tools Avantlink had for a quick blog posting or two with a few products.

I've spent half my evening trying to figure out and configure one of those nasty new widgets so that it did what I wanted.

No good.

Gary -- Avantlink tools are great for the more techie folks, but for the rest of us, please, PLEASE don't do away with the easier, simpler tools.

After spending an hour or so off and on playing with the new widget tool, I created a very, very LAME looking single column display that wasn't doing most of what I could do with a few minutes work on the old tool.

*sigh*
    Generate more fake news.

FYI -- I just went into the new product widget tool and tried to create an equivalent to one of the product display builders I have for an Avantlink merchant -- AND THERE ARE NO IMAGES AVAILABLE IN THAT TOOL FOR THAT MERCHANT??

Now if they're going to replace the Product Display Builder, why on earth won't they leave it around for use until they get the feeds with images into the new tool?

As I understand their page discussing the product display builder and the product widget creator, I can only edit current product display builder configurations, not create new ones. But, without images, I sure can't create something for this particular merchant with the new tool.
    Generate more fake news.

Why not try Pepperjam Network? They have a pretty good product display builder.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    Why not try Pepperjam Network? They have a pretty good product display builder.
    LOL - Those Crooks?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Product Ad Widget vs. Product Display Builder
    We understand that some are more familiar at this point with the Product Display Builder (PDB) tool, and are concerned with it going away.

What we will do is keep the PDB tool active for the time being while folks get familiar with the Product Ad Widget (PAW) tool. We trust that when you get familiar with the PAW tool that you will find it easier to use, and much more powerful. Just keep in mind that at some point in the next couple months, we will remove the ability to create new PDB subscriptions. All existing product displays will continue to function and you will still have the ability to edit those existing displays.

Just so it's clear, the Product Ad Widget allows you to easily create the same type of displays as the Product Display Builder. It has most of the same functionality, with the addition of many of the functionality requests we've received for the PDB over the last six months or so.

Here is a summary of functionality improvements with the PAW.
    1. You can now apply the layout and design configuration from a previously saved display widget to your current configuration. This alone should make for much faster configuration time.
    2. You can now add products from multiple merchants into one display.
    3. The ability to easily search for products within a single merchant datafeed or across multiple merchants and easily add the results to your display widget.
    4. Built in pagination of product results in your widget.
    5. A new Flash carousel style product widget.
    6. A couple default style widgets (block and round) that are very easy to customize as well as a no template wrapper option for full page displays and an advanced option that lets you create your own widget HTML.

Scott is working on a blog post now, which will get in to more detail on the Product Ad Widget tool. Look for that on the blog sometime today.

GM

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    We understand that some are more familiar at this point with the Product Display Builder (PDB) tool, and are concerned with it going away.

What we will do is keep the PDB tool active for the time being while folks get familiar with the Product Ad Widget (PAW) tool. We trust that when you get familiar with the PAW tool that you will find it easier to use, and much more powerful. Just keep in mind that at some point in the next couple months, we will remove the ability to create new PDB subscriptions. All existing product displays will continue to function and you will still have the ability to edit those existing displays.

Just so it's clear, the Product Ad Widget allows you to easily create the same type of displays as the Product Display Builder. It has most of the same functionality, with the addition of many of the functionality requests we've received for the PDB over the last six months or so.

Here is a summary of functionality improvements with the PAW.
    1. You can now apply the layout and design configuration from a previously saved display widget to your current configuration. This alone should make for much faster configuration time.
    2. You can now add products from multiple merchants into one display.
    3. The ability to easily search for products within a single merchant datafeed or across multiple merchants and easily add the results to your display widget.
    4. Built in pagination of product results in your widget.
    5. A new Flash carousel style product widget.
    6. A couple default style widgets (block and round) that are very easy to customize as well as a no template wrapper option for full page displays and an advanced option that lets you create your own widget HTML.

Scott is working on a blog post now, which will get in to more detail on the Product Ad Widget tool. Look for that on the blog sometime today.

GM
    Thanks, Gary. I feel better now -- a little. You know that "hope and change" mantra of Obama and the Dems? I subscribe to the "hope" part, but as I get older, I'm less enthusiastic about "change" -- any change.

I'm sure the blog entry will be helpful.

Any plans to do one of your "how-to" screencasts on the Product Ad Widget? Also -- I mentioned in a post above that I was unable to do a product ad widget for one of the merchants I currently have a PDB for, because there were only "No image" placeholders for the merchant's products in the PAW?
    Generate more fake news.

Gary can you email support/at/avantlink.com about the bad image URLs?

GM

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    Gary can you email support/at/avantlink.com about the bad image URLs?

GM
    Just sent email to support/at/avantlink.com with details on the merchant and what I was doing.
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks Gary.

BTW I missed your question about the screencast tutorial from earlier. And yes, we plan on eventually putting together tutorials for the new tools.

GM

ABW Ambassador
    Gary-Avantlink,

The new Widget funtions sound promising. Thanks for your explanation.

One of the funtions I'm not confident about is the "search" funtion. For those of us who are using other "product display builder" tools such as Popshops, one biggest issue for "search" function is that the return result usually very limited. One one hand, you have to seach the exact terms that merchants use on their product description or title to get the products show up. On the other hand, it is often time that many irrelavant products show up on the result list. For example, if I seach for "White Gold Necklace", all the products has "white", "gold", "necklace" on their description will show up. Then we are talking about thousands of products from books to clothing. Filters won't work in this case because you can't filter out any of the three words.

It is a common issue for all "search" based tools. To prove that it is also an issue with Avantlink, I did a search for "fly reels" for all merchants on the new "Widget builder". The search result has only 13 products. Then I did it with "Product Display Builder", I select one merchant, under "department", under "fly reels", that one merchnat along has 25 products already. Now do you see what I mean?

The tool of "product display builder" has the ability to find(not search) products under different categories, departments, brands within a single merchant. All you need to do is to add the ability to find(not search) products within all merchants. You have a best tool, why replace it with another?

The "Widget Builder" tool do have many fancy functions attached to it, I'm sure some people will love it. But I for one who enjoy old fashion way which prove working in affiliate marketing, will love to see "Product Display Builder" stay as an option.

Thanks.

"Oh noes!"
    I'll take a couple of very long deep breaths and not panic yet.

Think Writerguy does make a very good point, tho. Uhhh as us geezers begin to think as we get older...... change is more appealing when we're younger

Not gonna panic. Long as those I already have will be ok....definitely breathing ok with that. When I wanna do more I'll take a couple deep breaths and if I have trouble breathin, I'll just ask one of you guys for help.

Uhhh...just thought of somethin tho so may need them deep breaths....Will this new thingie be able to work with the Squidoos? ok, not the end of the world I guess if it doesn't. Am not gonna panic til I watch the video, etc.

Update -- The support people at Avantlink were incredibly quick to get those images into the merchant I mentioned in my post above. Good work.

ALSO -- I spent some more time working with the PAW (simply gotta learn the lingo -- PAW, PDB, etc.?) and created a pretty decent widget for one of my sites.

I'm starting to figure it out. I really don't have an opinion as to how it compares with the old PDB, but I think I can learn to live with it.

purplebear -- we old geezers still have a chance! Embrace change! (well, okay, maybe "embrace" is to positive. But it's better than the old "duck and cover" of childhood days/daze. LOL!)
    Generate more fake news.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread