Musicians Friend Leak
    In case this hasn't been mentioned before, Musicians Friend has 2 huge telephone numbers on the page with no way to track affiliate sales. The page linked below is visited via a CJ affiliate link:

Screenie -> http://www.abestweb.com/MusiciansFriend.png
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; March 11th, 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Affiliate Link
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

I especially like this one:

Call 866-926-1928 and mention code ASK to learn about unadvertised specials and get the guaranteed lowest price!
    They should add "...and how do we guarantee the lowest price? By screwing the affiliate that sent you here out of their commission, that's how."

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Admin Note: Please do not do that that again, no not just the affiliate link, but the live link with anchor text.

Sorry Haiko... Just trying to show that the phone numbers appear even when a CJ affiliate link is clicked.. I changed the PID to 1..
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

Code Monkey or Haiko or guess anybody who might see this post:

Please pay attention to what Haiko said:
    "Admin Note: Please do not do that that again, no not just the affiliate link, but the live link with anchor text"

but could somebody please let me know which page this is in reference to. Example, Home Page, Shop by Brand, Bass Guitars, etc.

I spotted this post so was gonna email the affiliate manager the link to see what he said about it but for some reason when I click on one of my own links I'm not coming up with that page that's in the screenshot. Looked at several random pages on the site but can't find anything showing that page or any showing 2 toll free numbers. I'm seeing the one tool free number at the top right of the page but not the other one or anything about the ASK code.

*Not in any way doubting what ya said, just don't know if maybe somebody already alerted the affiliate manager and it's been removed or if it's on a page I'm just not looking at cos I don't know which it is. Don't wanna email the affiliate manager if it's not still appearing that way or if it is would rather email the specific page to show him/her.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    purplebear, the phone number is displayed prominently on their header which looks like is used on all pages

Thanks Seymour
    yeap, I do see that one on their site, but only see the one not the 2 that Code Monkey and Rematt's posts said were there and is in the screenshot

As an affiliate I hate the 800 numbers, too. but umm as a coupon type site there'd be an awful lotta merchants not listed on my site if I excluded em all for just that reason. There appears to be several opinions here about the 800 numbers (with no tracking) and some....not sure but think even Michael (really am not sure tho and definitely don't wanna put words into his mouth....specially if they weren't ever said lol ) but some affiliates don't think it's necessarily a bad thing and can actually sometimes be helpful.

I honestly don't know how bad it is. I do have merchants who have em and I have gotten sales but then.....don't know how many I may not have gotten cos of it either.

Definitely don't like em having an 800 number tho if they're sayin what Rematt and the screenshot says tho with mentioning that code to get unadvertised specials. So was gonna ask the am about that.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am only seeing the one 800 number - it appears the other was removed.

Virtually all merchants have 800 numbers with very few featuring a tracking number. To post a coupon prompt (or popup) with a phone number is another matter - that undercuts affiliates big-time.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Dell has their phone numbers appearing on affiliate links, but I don't hear anyone complaining here (then again, Dell phone reps can't even come close to matching the affiliate deals, at least as of a year or so ago). Phone numbers are a factor that we affiliates have to deal with for many advertisers - Frankly, most of the time the companies aren't going to take the time to code up something to remove phone numbers if the source is an affiliate link.

Affiliates & Custom Phone #'s
    I attended a CJ webinar last week, and they had a way of changing the 800 based on the source of the lead, so leads from affiliates had a different 800 # so affiliates would get credit. I haven't actually seen it in action, but I think it is a step in the right direction for CJ & merchants to give credit where credit is due.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread