Dual core, Core 2 Duo, Quad core, X2, X4...ARRRGG!
    It's been many years since the last time I bought a computer. While at the time I was pretty up on what was going on, but with technology, things change so fast I've missed several generations of improvements and my head is spinning.

I'm ready to jump into a purchase but not sure what would be needed vs. what would be a luxury. While a laptop is great, I prefer a desktop as I think I'll get more bang for the buck and other than summit I really don't travel much.Trying to keep the price in a tight budget. Around $500 but under $400 would be great and less is even better if the system does what is needed.

I think I've found a few candidates at the office supply stores. But what should I be looking for in a system? Processors, memory, video cards etc. Again, not a top of line computer.

Keep in mind it has to be something within the budget that can do what a mid level affiliate needs done efficiently. i.e. a little video editing, a little graphic work etc.

Thanks!
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

My opinion, for a desktop, I like anything that is at least a Core 2 series processor (Core i7 is even better but may be above that budget), with at least 2GB memory, preferably 3 or 4GB (note that if you get a 32 bit Windows, you're limited to 3 in most cases, even if there is 4 or more in the box). Basically these days you want at least two cores, and a decent amount of memory. If you can look at the computer in the store, try and evaluate the graphics and how zippy the windows render and move around. If possible, read some reviews of the systems you're looking at as well. I personally avoid the AMD CPU's as in my experience they're slow compared to the current Intel's.

My own system is a Core i7 with 6GB memory and a 3ware RAID array for disk redundancy. I'm a gamer though, so I have a higher end graphics card than you need for business.

Also make sure the system you look at has disk(s) that are at least 7200rpm, with at least 16MB of cache on the disks. You'd be amazed how much difference a hard disk makes in responsiveness.

I also highly recommend an online backup service like Carbonite, it saved my a$$ recently when my power supply died and smoked all my disks (hd's and cdrom's).

ABW Ambassador
    Good tips, TI Master.

I'm recently looking into upgrading my 5 yaers old dell desktop too. It still works great but feel it is about time to catch up with technologies a little bit

I just saw this at frys.com and I don't think you can beat their deal:
    HP a6547c Refurbished Desktop PC featuring AMD X2 5000 Processor with 4GB memory and 500GB Hard drive
    for $399 plus shipping
    I purchased a similar system from them last fall and I am completely happy with them.

they have several under $500 that look like good deals. (except for the acer models)

http://shop2.frys.com/search?query_s...y&from=0&to=24

ABW Ambassador
    Refurbished? I'm not so sure about purchasing a Refurbished computer, tho...

The price is right, AFAIK mine looked like it was done by HP, It has been flawless, I fought tooth and nail not to switch to VISTA, but this vista64 has run better than any computer I have ever had. (Going all the way back to my Kaypro 10# portable

I just purchased a Gateway DX-4200 with AMD Phenom X4 Quad core processor at Best Buy,
    About $510, plus another 8o bucks for a card to run two monitors. Very satisfied with it....very fast!
    Wish I had splurged the $40 to have them optimize it, but it just ticks me off to pay to have them remove all the $%@^ that the mfgs install.
    My thinking in getting the Quad was that I would be able to keep it a few years as it is close to the tech curve now.

http and a telephoto
    My laptop is intel and the 2 desktops are both AMD and the laptop crashes way more than the desktops. Laptops is 3 gig, one desktop is 3 gig (both 32 bit) and the newest desktop is 6gig and 64 bit. Without monitor the 6gig was around $599 I think.

I think you set your amount to spend and then get the most power you can for that price and don't think the AMD's are any less powerful than the Intels. You can always add memory and disk space, so concentrate on processor power. IMO
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I've got a HP desk top with an AMD dual core 4800 processor and 2 gigs of ram, windows vista, and it rocks.

Best computer I've ever had. I like AMD better than intel. It's faster.

I had it for two years and have never had any problems with it.

I run eset computer protection on it.

Thanks for the input everyone.

TI Master - yeah, a Core i7 is a little out of the budget right now . But it points out an issue, I haven't played video games in years but it seems most of the places online to shop for systems tout the 'gamer' capabilities. While certainly those capabilities translate to non-gamers in productivity it tends to raise the cost of the system if used by a non-gamer. Does my video card have to refresh as fast to work in excel as it would in an online game? Probably not, but the systems seem built that way.

Robin1, thanks for the idea. I'm sure the refurbs are fine but like mayfly I probably would rather get a new one just to avoid any problems down the road.

Baygrafix, sounds like you did what I'm contemplating. I don't know that I need a quad and as TI Master points out a dual core is really adequate. I hate to get further behind the tech curve by going with a dual core instead of a quad core. But it's a trade off as if I go quad I tend to end up with lower processor speeds.

Loxly, that is great advice. But with all the options on processors, do you buy a dual with more processor power or do you go to the next level and get a quad with lower processor speeds to prepare for those upgrades in a year or two?

BurgerBoy, yours sounds like one I'm looking at, it's good to know that it's serving you well.

From what I see here and what I've read it seems the AMD is not looked down on as much as it was in the past. So that feedback helps a lot.

Still debating on whether I need a quad core. It seems that 2 processors are serving people well. Perhaps it is better to spend the limited budget on 2 faster processors than 4 slower ones. Generally the systems I'm seeing the quad runs around 1.6ghz and the duos are running around 2.8. Initially I figured 4 times 1.6 is better than 2 times 2.8, but I think I misunderstood how it all works together.

So, the continuing question is, if the price is about the same is there an advantage to an affiliate to get a quad over a dual?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    ---xxx---snip---xxx---

Robin1, thanks for the idea. I'm sure the refurbs are fine but like mayfly I probably would rather get a new one just to avoid any problems down the road.
    I can relate to the reluctance, not gonna push you on that, don't want you knocking down my door in the middle of the night (but I don't have any regrets on my refurb purchase)They have some really good deals on new systems also.
    So, the continuing question is, if the price is about the same is there an advantage to an affiliate to get a quad over a dual?
    I'm sitting here with the hp dual and another hp quad beside it. the big difference I see I attribute to the fact that the quad machine has 7mb of memory as opposed to 4mb in the dual. I have no connection to Frys, but I recommend them as a satisfied customer. Their online ordering works without a hitch. My other recommended place is Best Buy. There is always a killer onsale deal at either place every week.

I would really push you to get a box with Vista64 system with at least 4mb, preferably more. The machine I have with 7mb just can't be beat (unless you get one with 8 or ....

The quads may have lower processor speeds but they should outperform their dual counterparts. A 2 GHz quad should beat the pants off a 2 GHz dual. My laptops are dual and their speed is ok. The game PC I built is a quad and it smokes. I was tempted to use it for work too, since it was so fast, but decided to keep it as a game only PC.

Tiger has a price drop on an HP in their email they just sent out. It may be worth a look http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=H24-30022.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    The quads may have lower processor speeds but they should outperform their dual counterparts. A 2 GHz quad should beat the pants off a 2 GHz dual.
    I don't think so! Apart from any differences in cache size and front-side bus speed, I doubt that most desktop or laptop PC users would see a measurable performance increase from a quad vs. dual core. This is because, unfortunately, most applications (including the latest versio of Microsoft Office) do not take advantage of multiple cores (even a dual-core). I recently experimented with FileMaker (a database program), and was frustrated to see that it could only use a single core (among many other problems that led me to demand a refund).

Don't misunderstand me: moving from a single-core to dual-core is much more significant, as this may allow a single-core app to run at 100% on one core while the operating system & other tasks run on the other core. And if you are an exceptional power user who has multiple CPU-intensive programs running at the same time, the quad-core would certainly be faster -- but for 95% of PC users, the extra cores would provide no measurable benefit. (Again, if the quad-core CPU also has a larger cache size and/or a faster bus speed, those factors would provide a benefit.)

One of the most common trade-offs people make is to use a slower quad-core CPU instead of a faster dual-core CPU. This might be a mistake if you don't have software that will take advantage of the additional cores.
    Also pay attention to the CPU cache sizes, front-side bus speeds, and your choice of graphics cards (integrated graphics are likely to be slower AND use part of your system memory for graphics).

I'm not certain, but I think that if you open more than one window, especially 64 you the different windows might get their own processor

Affiliate Network Rep Ryan Gilbert's Avatar
    I research toms hardware to get the reviews on best price V performance on CPU's/graphics cards/drives etc. and then shop around on price comparison sites. (affiliate sites of course ) check it out, its great site

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/
    Ryan Gilbert
    Webgains USA
    www.webgains.com
    AIM: WGrgilbert
    MSN/e: ryan{at}webgains.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/webgains
    Blog: http://usablog.webgains.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/WebgainsUSA

http and a telephoto
    I overwork my computers so much that any advance in processing power is a plus. That said, my dual core 3 gig desktop hangs in there while the quad core 6 gig lets me run a whole bunch of stuff at once. And it doesn't break a sweat Well, not yet anyway
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

With your budget the closest thing you'll be able to get is the Mac Mini. They just released a new model, so it's a good time to buy. I just got a Macbook Pro and it's truly the best computer I've ever used. I can't imagine ever going back to Windows.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread