What is a good conversion rate?
    I am pretty new to aff marketing and am just wondering what is considered a successful ad campaign? I recently started a campaign and was getting good impressions/clicks, but no commissions. It was a "direct" link to the pub page and therefore a poor landing page could not be the problem. After running the campaign for 2 days, I had about 170 clicks or so and no sales. I went back into my adwords account and clicked my ad, which landed me on the pub page (my hop was showing in add bar) but when I clicked through to the order page, the affiliate name at the bottom was not me. So, here's the question(s) 1) How and why did the affiliate name change to someone else? (2) How many sales did I potentially lose (rough estimate based on 175 clicks)?
    Any insight from you pros will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Trent

ABW Ambassador
    Search this site and the web for "cookie overwriting"

what is cookie overwriting?

Simply put, cookie overwriting is when another affiliate literally writes over your cookie and earns the commissions you would have earned...

that said, it "could" be one of the reasons your not converting, however, to be honest, 170 clicks isnt a heck of a lot and i wouldnt be pressing the panic button yet. Chances are the customer you are sending them just arent making the purchases...it actually happens a lot for publishers who direct link to their merchants.

And it is possible to have a few hundreds clicks, but no sales.
    You may want to provide some info on the products first, before sending them to the product landing page. Not all the people will go directly, pull out their wallet and buy your product at first sight.

That is the concern. It was a direct link campaign. I was trying to be lazy and avoid havin to build a "pre-sale" or "landing" page, but even if I did that, they can steal your commissions, right?

Quote Originally Posted by trenttdogg
    That is the concern. It was a direct link campaign. I was trying to be lazy and avoid havin to build a "pre-sale" or "landing" page, but even if I did that, they can steal your commissions, right?
    Right.

But, that's a chance you have to take if you want to be an affiliate. There's nothing you can do about it.

We all take that chance.

If you want to be an affiliate - quit talking and thinking about someone stealing your sales and start making web pages for your site.

Talking about it will not earn you a penny. It takes work and building website pages for you to make money.

Less talk and more work.

Trent,

I would agree that you should look into building a jump page for your offers. The jump page will allow you to build loyalty with the customer and they will be more likely to purchase. I would suggest testing more than 175 clicks to determine if the offer is converting well. We allow our publishers to test the offer and back out the sale so they can determine if the offer is working properly for them. Also check with your am and see if this is normal for the offer and your traffic type. Offers can convert differently based on vertical as well as traffic type.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 31st, 2010 at 11:18 AM.

Affiliate Network Rep Ryan Gilbert's Avatar
    Most affiliates I work with do at least 1000 clicks before getting a good gauge on conversion statistics and then deciding on reinvestment. The conversion % depends totally on the campaign. For instance, in the mobile phone industry you would want a return of between 2-3%.. cd/dvd more like 5%.. fashion 1-2% etc. throw an extra % or two on for brand related sales.

If your original research is sound, I'd give it some more traffic. 170 is not enough.
    Ryan Gilbert
    Webgains USA
    www.webgains.com
    AIM: WGrgilbert
    MSN/e: ryan{at}webgains.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/webgains
    Blog: http://usablog.webgains.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/WebgainsUSA

Is there any affiliate programs conversion benchmarking?
    Is there any affiliate programs conversion benchmarking available on the Net? I know only about index.fireclick.com. Can you suggest another one? May be with more detailed info?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread