Cool Matt Cassel
    Do you think Matt Cassel will be good in KC?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    $14 million bust.

No NE coaching, system, or talent, plus years of KC ineptitude and neophyte head coach in KC = DISASTER!

(couldn't happen to a nicer brain surgeon*)

GO BRUINS
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

He's no Brady so don't expect too much ...

Its hard to be a good qb when you are on your butt all the time. He is also coming from a good system to a system that is not so good due to lack of personnel.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Couple of observations here from a LONG TIME, diehard Chiefs fan:

1. Cassel only has to win 3 or more games this season to look MUCH better than the wonderboy QB Brodie Croyle, the aging/aged wonder Damon Huird, or the eager kid Tyler Thigpin.

2. Given the obvious problems Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards left the Chiefs with their lame offensive line, Cassel may not win much more than 3 or more games -- but, heck, it's a good start.

3. No, Cassel definitely isn't Tom Brady -- but he proved he could step up and do a pretty darned good job of filling in for Brady last season. (My prediction for NE -- even Tom Brady ain't gonna be much of a Tom Brady this season.)

4. Given all the changes KC made and all the changes probably still to come, I'm sort of cautiously optimistic for their season. As I mentioned in #1 -- they don't need to do a heck of a lot better to show fans a better season than they've had under Herm Edwards.
    Generate more fake news.

He definitely won't have as good of a line to play behind, although he did show a pretty good ability to scramble.

His supporting cast is not bad and from what I understand KC took over his one year franchise tag contract, so he will still be motivated to play for another contract this year.

Their new head coach Haley was the offensive coordinator for Arizona the past two seasons so he won't mind throwing the ball that's for sure. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be good. I think the big question marks for KC will be the defense and Larry Johnson.

Five years from now, Tyler Thigpin will be an NFL starting QB. Cassell will not be one.

Five years from now, Tod Haley, following in the footsteps of the likes of Mike Martz, Al Saunders, Phil Bengtson, Buddy Ryan, and countless others, will be looking for a coordinator's job.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Five years from now, Tyler Thigpin will be an NFL starting QB. Cassell will not be one. Five years from now, Tod Haley, following in the footsteps of the likes of Mike Martz, Al Saunders, Phil Bengtson, Buddy Ryan, and countless others, will be looking for a coordinator's job.
    I don't know much about Thigpen or Haley, and you know I don't care for USC being a Michigan guy, however don't forget that Scott Peoli (former NE GM) is the new GM in KC. He brought Cassell there so obviously he likes him and I think he will be given every opportunity to start as long as he is not injured. Being a lifetime backup, I think he will be ready to go and pretty fresh IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    I don't know much about Thigpen or Haley, and you know I don't care for USC being a Michigan guy, however don't forget that Scott Peoli (former NE GM) is the new GM in KC. He brought Cassell there so obviously he likes him and I think he will be given every opportunity to start as long as he is not injured. Being a lifetime backup, I think he will be ready to go and pretty fresh IMO.
    Scott Peoli was to Bill Belichick what George Seifert was to Bill Walsh, what AJ Smith was to John Butler - a figurehead who did his master's bidding, but who could not and will not succeed on his own.

Scott Peoli was to Bill Belichick what George Seifert was to Bill Walsh, what AJ Smith was to John Butler - a figurehead who did his master's bidding, but who could not and will not succeed on his own.
    In such an unpredictable league where you see teams like Miami go from 1-15 to the playoffs and you see backups like Brady become stars, your predictions seem just a little bold and anti-USC to me. We'll see, I guess I'll have to bookmark this thread until 2014 LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    In such an unpredictable league where you see teams like Miami go from 1-15 to the playoffs and you see backups like Brady become stars, your predictions seem just a little bold and anti-USC to me. We'll see, I guess I'll have to bookmark this thread until 2014 LOL.
    There are few real geniuses in the field of building a winning team in any sport. One of the few is Bill Parcells, and he is responsible for the turn around in Miami.

I would not call Cassell a star. Stepping into Brady's shoes, behind his line, with Belichick's coaching and system, and MISSING THE PLAYOFFS did not make him a star, or even an acceptable replacement (Earl Morrall for Johnny Unitas, Kurt Warner for Trent Green, etc.) let alone a star.

My feelings towards usc are frequently stated when appropriate. You can read much about the true facts of their NCAA-protected, criminal-infested, rule-flaunting athletic department in my sports blog. For the record, much of my feelings towards usc stem from dealing with their alumni in the business/economic/social/political/legal spheres of SoCal for many decades, though I do admit much began during my four fabulous years at UCLA (though enough preceded that time for me to make my choice between the schools).
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; March 12th, 2009 at 12:18 AM.

I think Matt Cassel can be a plus for KC, but it will take a lot more than the plus one Matt Cassel to help KC.

Being a fan of Tom Brady, I am eager to see his return. I doubt he will ever be the quarterback he use to be, but who knows. It could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Five years from now, Tyler Thigpin will be an NFL starting QB. Cassell will not be one.
    I absolutely agree with your assessment of Thigpin's career. Cassel -- I dunno.

If you lived in or near KC and were a Chief's fan, you'd have really mixed feelings about the two.

On the one hand, Thigpin was pretty "newbie" inconsistent last season, but he was a true bright spot in KC's offense overall. All of us hereabouts were hoping for good things from him this season.

On the other hand, after the horrendous seasons the Chief's had under Herm Edwards, most are so hungry for even 3 or 4 winning games this year that we are willing to say, okay, let's see what Cassel can do.

But I agree with others who have said here that Cassel in the new Chief's system with the Chief's sorry offensive line -- well, that's not sounding too good.
    Generate more fake news.

I would not call Cassell a star. Stepping into Brady's shoes, behind his line, with Belichick's coaching and system, and MISSING THE PLAYOFFS did not make him a star, or even an acceptable replacement (Earl Morrall for Johnny Unitas, Kurt Warner for Trent Green, etc.) let alone a star.
    For the record, I'm not calling him a star either. The question was whether or not we think he will be good.

Just because they missed the playoffs and play in a tough division doesn't make an eleven win season with almost 3700 yards, 21 Td, 11 int and 2 rushing touchdowns an unacceptable replacement.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I think pretty much everyone would be a bust in KC...except Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson. Who is he going to throw to?
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    I think pretty much everyone would be a bust in KC...except Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson. Who is he going to throw to?
    How about Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, and Will Franklin for starters? Not too shabby.

Biggest single problem the Chiefs have is their offensive line, so Cassel, Thigpin, even almost-always-injured Brodie Croyle, aren't going to throw very successfully to anyone.

(Second biggest Chiefs problem -- defensive line/linebackers who can't put pressure on ANYONE.

Third biggest Chiefs problem -- really mediocre to poor defensive backfield.)
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    How about Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, and Will Franklin for starters? Not too shabby.

Biggest single problem the Chiefs have is their offensive line, so Cassel, Thigpin, even almost-always-injured Brodie Croyle, aren't going to throw very successfully to anyone.

(Second biggest Chiefs problem -- defensive line/linebackers who can't put pressure on ANYONE.

Third biggest Chiefs problem -- really mediocre to poor defensive backfield.)
    I'd trade our LA fill in blank receivers, O-line, D-line, LBs and DBs for KC's in a heartbeat. (wouldn't take Cassell, though) {15 years and counting} Any interest?

I'd trade our LA fill in blank receivers, O-line, D-line, LBs and DBs for KC's in a heartbeat. (wouldn't take Cassell, though) {15 years and counting} Any interest?
    Alas, I grew up back in the (groan!! creak!! wobble!!) 1950s and '60s when I learned beyond a doubt that the Los Angeles Rams were superstars. (When I was a small kid, one of my favorite movies was an old black and white B movie, "Crazy Legs" -- starring Hirsch playing himself. Yes!)

NOTHING will ever sound "right" to me regarding the Rams except "LA Rams," or "Los Angeles Rams." This St. Louis thing, ugh, just pretenders.
    Generate more fake news.

100% agree.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    I got to watch every Patriots game this season. Cassel impressed me as the season progressed. At the beginning of the year, his first two options would be covered, and he would get "happy feet" in the pocket, tuck the ball under his arm, and try to run with it. He got sacked more often than not when this happened. After his first 6 games, he was being more patient in the pocket, moving laterally and back and forth, still looking for the open man. Once he started hanging in the pocket, he was deadly. i attribute some of this to the Patriots having great players around him, but I give Cassel a LOT of credit. The man who hadn't started a game since high school homecoming, turned into a legitimate QB. I think he deserved to make the pro bowl over Brett Favre. I think KC fans have a lot to look forward to. Cassel is going to be a good pro QB. It will take him some time in KC to get back to the level of success he saw with the Pats, but I believe he will succeed. You can't beat getting a potential franchise QB for the cost of a second round pick!

Brent
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread