Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    "Interest-based advertising" requires changes to privacy policy
    Just received:
    Hi,

We're writing to let you know about the upcoming launch of interest-based advertising, which will require you to review and make any necessary changes to your site's privacy policies. You'll also see some new options on your Account Settings page.

Interest-based advertising will allow advertisers to show ads based on a user's previous interactions with them, such as visits to advertiser website and also to reach users based on their interests (e.g. "sports enthusiast"). To develop interest categories, we will recognize the types of web pages users visit throughout the Google content network. As an example, if they visit a number of sports pages, we will add them to the "sports enthusiast" interest category. To learn more about your associated account settings, please visit the AdSense Help Center at www dot google dot com/adsense/support/bin/topic.py?topic=20310.

As a result of this announcement, your privacy policy will now need to reflect the use of interest-based advertising. Please review the information at www dot google dot com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=100557 to ensure that your site's privacy policies are up-to-date, and make any necessary changes by April 8, 2009. Because publisher sites and laws vary across countries, we're unfortunately unable to suggest specific privacy policy language.

For more information about interest-based advertising, you can also visit the Inside AdSense Blog at adsense dot blogspot dot com/2009/03/driving-monetization-with-ads-that.htm.

We appreciate your participation and look forward to this upcoming enhancement.

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team
    burrrrrrr. It's getting chilly in here.

Does anyone think that if the average G user really understood the wealth of personal information about them that G is stockpiling, and using to "direct" the information the user subsequently receives, that they would start going elsewhere for searches?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Sad, but NO
    Proof that G is EVIL

Just got this tonight too.

They want us to check our privacy policy to see if it's up to date.

They are now cookie dropping using double click.

===============================

Google Advertising Cookie and Privacy Policies

What is the DoubleClick DART cookie?

The DoubleClick DART cookie is used by Google in the ads served on publisher websites displaying AdSense for content ads. When users visit an AdSense publisher's website and either view or click on an ad, a cookie may be dropped on that end user's browser. The data gathered from these cookies will be used to help AdSense publishers better serve and manage the ads on their site(s) and across the web.

What should I put in my privacy policy?

Your posted privacy policy should include the following information about Google and the DoubleClick DART cookie:

* Google, as a third party vendor, uses cookies to serve ads on your site.
    * Google's use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to your users based on their visit to your sites and other sites on the Internet.
    * Users may opt out of the use of the DART cookie by visiting the Google ad and content network privacy policy

After reading about this on another forum...I turned it off.

Adsense -
    My Account -
    "Interest-based Ads Preference" - Do not show...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Think I'll throw the following into my privacy policy...

*Link removed - destination URL redirected*
    Last edited by vbadmin; July 15th, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    They crept up on you so slowly.
    Any G service you ever used will come back to get you.
    G is EVIL
    They always were.
    They will never stop.
    Not even Parkinson’s will stop it.

"interest based advertising"

*husband gets off computer and goes to work

*wife gets on computer and thinks:
    hmmm...why am I seeing all these ads for cheap motels and divorce lawyers...

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    "interest based advertising"

No, the stories should proceed like so:

*wife has no clue since G knows that husband has gone to work by 8:32 am, instead there are ads on how to improve your sex life and Victoria Secret lingerie

*on the way to work, husband receives ads on his iphone for motel CheapSleaze as he is about to drive by the motel, with coupon 30% off.

After reading about this on another forum...I turned it off.
    Me too! Thanks for the tip.

what i don't get is why we would have to change and say that google is dropping cookies to serve you. would not that be googles job. i don't use adsensless but i feel bad for you all.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    What if every merchant had their own specific requirements for your privacy policy? Or other sections of your site(s)?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Ahhhh but Google is creating the *ultimate customer service* spybot. It's for OUR OWN GOOD, you see. They'll "help" us navigate and browse and shop and think so we don't have to. Taking the "machine" to new heights of intelligence and information gathering.

Scary if you're really paranoid, interesting if you're not. I'm about 3/4 way to scared. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

if you opt out, do you have to change your privacy policy?

I don't want to serve up ads based on anything other than the site's content!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    if you opt out, do you have to change your privacy policy?

My feelings exactly. (And I make a fair amount with G/A/S.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Ditto here! Does Google actually think that your typical shopper even reads a privacy policy? Let alone go to Google and opt out? Of course not, that's what they're counting on.

Suppose your reader typically looks for DIY arts and crafts stuff or freebie coupons. She gets engaged, just begins looking for rings, bridesmaids gifts, etc. and is on a diamonds or wedding favors page. They're going to serve up DIY arts & crafts or feebie coupon ads? This is the idea? How long will it take for her history to build up for them to serve currently relevant ads?

Insanity.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Well the first thing I did was as simcat suggested opt out of the new Ad Preference. My next step was to opt out of the google data collection http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html. Interestingly enough, they now have a plug in that keeps u oped out even if your cookies are erased now.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I will be changing my privacy policy I love Big G
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Yeah, I also love the Big G. But I'm not about to change the privacy policy on 40+ sites. I want the ads to reflect the site contents, not the visitors' PAST history. I just clicked to opt OUT of this new feature.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Exactly. The nerds in ivory towers have this idea that it's one person + 1 computer in their distorted lens of the "real" world and no one else ever uses another family member's computer. They are so out of touch.

The real issue is Google losing Adsense money. They've emptied out the MFA sites from the SERPs but are now dealing with reader "Adsense blindness." There may not be a cure and this model is dying.
    Renée

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Exactly. The nerds in ivory towers have this idea that it's one person + 1 computer in their distorted lens of the "real" world and no one else ever uses another family member's computer. They are so out of touch.

The real issue is Google losing Adsense money. They've emptied out the MFA sites from the SERPs but are now dealing with reader "Adsense blindness." There may not be a cure and this model is dying.
    Oh, I wouldn't say this model is dying. I'm not sure what caused it (hopefully the clearing out of MFA sites), but I am seeing AdSense revenue increasing nicely ever since the first of the year. I have not added any new ads or sites, but payouts seem to be on the rise. I don't expect it will ever get to where it was three years ago, but I do welcome the increase.

even for the same person,
    i have completely different interests at different times

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Oh, I wouldn't say this model is dying. I'm not sure what caused it (hopefully the clearing out of MFA sites), but I am seeing AdSense revenue increasing nicely ever since the first of the year. I have not added any new ads or sites, but payouts seem to be on the rise. I don't expect it will ever get to where it was three years ago, but I do welcome the increase.
    OK, I was extreme. I had pulled a ton of ads off when the payouts decreased, but if you say they're movin' on up, maybe I'll revisit it. I opted out as well.

As 99.99999999% of readers never look at privacy policies and Google says we have to change to comply but can't tell us what to say, I was wondering what's next. Google requiring us to require our readers to read our privacy policy?
    Renée

I love the big G too, but I opted out since I only want ads that are related to my site.

They just want people to change their privacy policy to cover their A$$es.

Google's Behavioral Ads May Not Have a Bright Future After All

http://www.enews20.com/news_Googles_...All_16958.html

I turned it off, and specified in my privacy policy that the site doesn't participate in the program.

But, isn't this exactly the sort of thing that other advertisers have done for years? And to give G some credit, it seems easy to opt-out for both end-users and webmasters.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast