This is an interesting idea that at least a couple of affiliates have brought to my attention. The idea is implementing a "click-and-buy" model in addition to the "click-and-bye" model of our affiliate program. (Don't ask me where the wacky terminology came from.)

What if affiliates were able to have custom websites based off of our database, and hosted by us. Overstock has done something similar (see http://ivillage.overstock.com) using subdomains.

Let's say we theoretically have the capability to do this to an even more extensive level. I would like to discuss in depth how you guys feel this should/would/could work.

I can already see many benefits for the affiliates, and there are potentially endless possibilities for the merchants. But on the other hand, merchants stand to get screwed in a lot of ways:

<u>Pros:</u><ul>
    <LI>Your sales could skyrocket.
    <LI>Better, more detailed stats.
    <LI>You'd be able to see reversal reasons much easier.
    <LI>We wouldn't really need to go through CJ-- but that's not to say we wouldn't.
    <LI>It would clamp down on parasite activity since only one affiliate is eligible for payment to a site.[/list]

<u>Cons:</u><ul>
    <LI>It doesn't build our brand. It builds yours. (Unless we implemented something like the Overstock plan.)
    <LI>It uses our internally developed software-- which you didn't pay a dime for. (Unless we charged something like a franchise fee.)
    <LI>We could build them ourselves for cheaper.
    <LI>You'd be competing with us on the brand level.
    <LI>We'd have to develop even more software.
    <LI>Despite the above, we still have to talk with customers, which costs money.[/list]

If it was possible for us to do this, how would we get past some of these issues?

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

Sounds a bit like the Catalog City model, doesn't it? It certainly works for them.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    My site certainly could use something like I saw at ivillage.

Can you as a merchant sustain it. I mean, don't give it to us for a few months and then yank it away (like the tiger direct datafeed fiasco)

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Yawn ...I've done this for years with some computer distributors where their VAR force gets a private labeled reseller site hosted for 30.00/month. The distributor fulfills all orders and settles up with resellers every 30 days.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

What about our actual domain name instead of the name.domain.com? Would be just another record in the DNS tables.

Chris

----------------------------
    <FONT SIZE=1>ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....</font>

Yes, it would be an actual domain. I'm not entirely sure what DNS tables are, but I know it would be for actual domains.

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

This kind of site doesn't get any free SE traffic (duplicate content) so it only works for people who have other ways of generating traffic to the own/co brand site.

Ensure all the other metrics are right (sales value, commision rate, conversion etc) then set an appropriate monthly/annual charge for the facility and you will get the right people motivated to drive traffic to their "own" site.

Availability of a datafeed allows affiliates to set up feeder sites as their "own" affiliate, attracting SE traffic to the feeders and sending to their own/co brand.

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What if affiliates were able to have custom websites based off of our database, and hosted by us. Overstock has done something similar (see http://ivillage.overstock.com) using subdomains.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it ever works well when the merchant does the hosting of all the sites.
    Any affiliate can have a custom site by designing it themselves. What would work well would be if the affiliate could have the shopping cart so the customer can buy without going to the merchants site.

The merchant could host the shopping cart and the aff could build their own custom page to link to it. Aff would not have login info to see orders and cc info. Take a look at Americart for a good example.

I will say this succinctly, it does work...

Jonathon Palbicke
    krookedstix.com
    It's all golf baby!

I know of several ppl here who would be happy to give it a try.

I'll try anything free, of course.

Especially if customization is part of it, like antique or contemporary oriental rugs. (gotta try to fit my visitors' habits)

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

I think it would be good.

Here is where many in the past have said it doesn't work.

Vstores...

And here is another similar setup, where I have not had much luck. (World Choice Travel), which was purchased by Travelocity. I can't properly evaluate this partnership because I don't really have targeted (travel or golf travel) traffic.

Conceptually, however, this is how it would/does work. A merchant has absolutely no worries about branding their product fulfillment center. (Corporate Name, Store name, whatever).

Like VStores. Brand the affiliates...

Private label pages are then set up so that all of the product links are hard coded all the way to the checkout portion of the shopping cart, (cookies are not relied upon). Design of course is integrated to emulate other areas of each particular site, and when a purchase is made, a confirmation email is sent with the private label partner being represented in the thank you message not the actual merchant.

When sales are made, all contact information, email addys, physical addys, phone numbers, are sent to the privatel label partner, or are provided to them for download.

Private label affiliates don't have to contend with parasites, and enjoy repeat sales with alot less effort than through normal affiliate channels, and are higly motivated as a sales force

The merchant doesn't have to worry about partners resorting to tricks for clicks, search engine spamming with trademark keywords, cookie setting iframes, etc...

In short it is almost like a drop ship agreement except it is a commission structured contractual deal, so no sales tax, etc...

And I am not describing a fantasy either...

Jonathon Palbicke
    krookedstix.com
    It's all golf baby!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread