Is this spammy?
    Is this spammy?

I have a website offering a service to everyone in America. Most people will do a google search for something like "My service anytown NY" or "My service anytown CA".

Is it spammy to create a landing page for every single city/state combination in America. Each page would be 99% the same as all the other pages, just the City and State listed on the page would be different..

Thanks
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

Personally, I am not 100% sure what you mean, but I think I have the general idea. And personally, I do not think that would be spammy. Of course, I am one of the few that think spam is over-rated.

I can't really see the difference in what you are talking about and a big company buying AdWords for a 1,000 words and phrases and each one landing on the same page.

If you offer a service and it is available to all cities, you should have the right to let those in those cities know about it.

Google and other search engines will probably weed out a lot of them. Now, the search engines may see it as spammy, but they are weird anyway.

Just curios about the SEO aspect of it. Will it be seen as duplicate content?
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Unless each page's content is unique - they will probably be considered "doorway pages"...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    It is doorway pages.

give it a try what are you going to loose, just try to code the location in a few times ya know header, title, page name and the body a few times.

either your tagged or your not....is it a new site?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    give it a try what are you going to loose, just try to code the location in a few times ya know header, title, page name and the body a few times.

either your tagged or your not....is it a new site?
    You could lose getting in the top SERPs for YEARS - and become blacklisted.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    Just curios about the SEO aspect of it. Will it be seen as duplicate content?
    Yes, you will get nailed with a dup content penalty in Google although your pages will be still listed. I tried something similar with Webmerge some years back on a site that I get fairly minimal traffic now. (minimal as in 10 visitors a day!) But I have more or less abandoned the site.

For example, I created pages for each state like
    [My Service] in Alabama

If I search for [My Service] in Alabama, I am not listed. However if I search for mydomain.com [My Service] in Alabama, I get top position (as worthless as that is).

You will be far better off to simply make a list of all the states on the one page. "We serve the states of . . ." You won't get any dup content penalty for that, and you can spend the time saved doing something more productive, like writing some unique and informative content pages to support your service.

Google talks about this at http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=35769 where they say
    Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; March 14th, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

If getting those specific search phrases is important enough, then you should probably expand on your concept and make each page more unique to that city & state.

The danger, as others have posted, of your concept is that the page content (other than one or two words) will be duplicated. And with the MANY possible combinations, you would have a very heavily duplicated site.

However, if you can expand the regionalized aspects of the page into something more unique for each city/state combination, that danger is reduced.

Obviously, this is a lot of work, so see if you can figure out through your site stats and the geographic profiles and various keyword tools, if there are 5 or 6 city/state combinations that are the most important and test the concept with them.

Beyond that, you could probably start with a hybrid of Cheesheads concept and post a unique page for each state, which includes a list of the major cities covered. It would be far less pages to create unique content for. And then, you might be able to expand out from those pages for the top city / state combinations as noted above.

The important thing - in order to avoid duplicate content penalties - would be to have substantially unique content on each.

Just my 2 cents...

Paul

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread