ABW Ambassador
    NEW YORK (AP) - Software makers have spent millions of dollars developing new tools for battling spam, and a federal anti-spam law went into effect Jan. 1.

So are our e-mail inboxes any less cluttered?

In the week since the law took effect, spam-filtering company Brightmail Inc. flagged 58 percent of incoming e-mail as spam, showing no change from December. And America Online Inc. saw a 10 percent jump in spam from overseas, possibly from spammers trying to evade U.S. law.

Some experts even believe the new law will actually bury us in even more electronic junk.

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, just more SPAM, more of the unsolicited stuff we don't want. And less people sending out their newsletters, stuff people want, have opted in to get because of the fear of getting in trouble somehow. Technology/ISPs/Email Providers etc should handle this problem, not the government.

They just made it legal to send SPAM, just have to include a physical postal address, i'm sure the rare spammer that actually does this, they are fake addresses. But most it's just business as usual and the big Spammers that the government are actually after in the first place will find a way and just took this Act as a challenge and will give us even more.

I work in lounge pants

I haven't seen a decrease either. I am looking forward to the government making some examples out of a few the spammers.

As far as email from overseas, I'll probably set up my spam filter to delete all email with overseas origins. Though the fake email addresses will probably get through, at least for a while.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

No change, just as bad as ever.

I'm not seeing physical addresses on them, either. I'm not seeing any changes to them, in fact. Spammers don't care about the LAW, which was written and signed by a bunch of old fossils too old to understand the real issue.

Typical politics. Totally worthless. A waste of taxpayer's money, but isn't almost all of it?

Andy

I see a huge decrease, went from 40-50 spam mails a day to less then 10.

I'm seeing the same amount of spam, although now they're acting high 'n mighty about their rights to send me said spam.

The ironic thing is that most of the spam is coming to a new email address I added for use only as a Paypal account a couple of weeks ago. That address has been sold to the weirdest combination of spammers - all of the Nigerian, Sierra Leone "royals", ChristianMediaResearch.com (I feel no qualms about using their exact domain name because I know for a FACT that my dog did not sign up to learn about the Rapture - heck, my dog can't even send mail out, as her email address forwards to my regular one) and other weird stuff from foreign addresses.

So, I think the law is a big bust. And not the kind I saw at Internext.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like PayPal is selling off your information to spammers.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

No, Paypal isn't selling the information, it's being scraped from websites. I have other non-public Paypal email addresses and they don't get the spam.

The problem with nameing domain names is that it very unlikely that domain name sent the spam. In fact ChristianMediaResearch.com are probably now recieving thousands of bounced emails they never sent. The problem is that people think that because there is a domain name for the Sent From address, they sent it, which is rarley the case.

The spammers use someone elses domain name for the Sent email address, not their own.

I had spammers use 2 of my domains as the Sent email address. I recieved thousands of bounced emails plus all the hate emails from people who were recieving the spam, and thought it had come from my domain.

I replied to each one, saying my domain name had been hijacked and the spam was not origination from me.

You can't do anything to get it stopped. I let the companies hosting my sites know what was happening, they investigated, but as the emails weren't originating from my mail server (probably a mail server in China, apparantly most spam originates from mailservers in China I was told, so the law isn't going to bother them one bit), and the headers could not be used to find the origin, there was nothing they can do.

Problem with the new law, which is a worry, if they have to include an address and phone number, that may well be the one for the owner of the domain name they are hijacking. It certainly won't be there's. Imagine if all those angry people out there thought it was the address and phone number of the spammer, and not some innocent website owner, the problems that could cause, hate emial was bad enough, letters and phone calls.

This law is stupid, it won't stop spam, but it could cause a lot more trouble for website owners by encouraging spammers to include the domain owners details. This law is more likely to leave website owners exposed to abuse and threats than stop spam.

I've had 2 domain names used, it could easily happen again, it can happen to anyone with a website.

If you use the catchall email address for your domain, you will know when it happens because you will get the bounced emails by the thousand, if you don't use the catchall, it could happen anytime and you might not be aware.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The problem with nameing domain names is that it very unlikely that domain name sent the spam. In fact ChristianMediaResearch.com are probably now recieving thousands of bounced emails they never sent. The problem is that people think that because there is a domain name for the Sent From address, they sent it, which is rarley the case<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, this actually was from these people. All of the info in the email matched their website. I skimmed the junk, but as far as I could tell, they weren't selling anything but their own brand of religious, uh, stuff.

I've had an email address used as a from address for someone's spam and got thousands of bounced emails back. This one was different. All of the info in the email matched the website, including the whois info. Plus, all of the stupid overusage of underlining and italicizing was the same.

I sure hope they weren't hoping to convert my dog. She's a devout Kibbleist, who believes in the higher power of peanut butter.

Shows they must be amateurs at the game.

What gets me, I'm still recieving spam emails trying to sell me lists of email addresses to spam. I wonder if the likes of the site mentioned get these and just think it's a good idea, without realizing what they are really doing.

ABW Ambassador
    More spam than ever. Looking forward until one of them is sued.

carneol

Also the same, couldn't take it without a spam filter...

Jonathon Palbicke
    krookedstix.com
    It's all golf baby!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread