Can Affiliates Use Shopping Cart?
    Hello, I tried searching the forums for any similar topic but I couldn't find any info regarding this...

Ok my question is can affiliates use a shopping cart script to promote merchant products? Or is it limited to only individual product pages? I was thinking my visitor can add multiple products to cart and then when it comes to checking out, he gets redirected to the merchant checkout page...is that possible?

It's limited to the site itself and individual product pages.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Really depends on how well your site can integrate into the merchants site. Transferring basket data to another site, creating a user session to hold that data, create affiliate tracking and not confuse the consumer is quite a task. It can be done but certainly requires working very closely with the merchant you're promoting to ensure the set up is smooth and clean.

It certainly needs a single store focus to make it work, mixing products from multiple stores will make the smooth transfer of data impossible.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by zone
    Hello, I tried searching the forums for any similar topic but I couldn't find any info regarding this...

Ok my question is can affiliates use a shopping cart script to promote merchant products? Or is it limited to only individual product pages? I was thinking my visitor can add multiple products to cart and then when it comes to checking out, he gets redirected to the merchant checkout page...is that possible?
    That would be with a white label program which most merchants don't offer. And as Chris said, it is only able to work with one specific merchant.

It can also cause issues with potentially misleading the customer and making them wary of entering their credit card information when they think they are buying from *you* and get sent to merchant only for final checkout. With traditional affiliate created pages, you send the customer to a product landing page and they complete their purchase there, and they are familiar with the idea that they were sent to another site to actually buy stuff.

You want to pre-sell, but you don't want to look *too much* like the real merchant.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

On a related issue to your shopping cart/merchant question: One of the biggest issues I see as an affiliate is that people simply do not understand that I am NOT a merchant. I'm sure many affiliate marketers can tell you of email -- some even phone calls, perhaps? -- from people who want you to replace incorrect or defective products.

I do not have "inventory" of any sort from which to do that, and it becomes very difficult to get someone to understand they must go back to the merchant.

If you integrate your site with a shopping cart into a merchant's shopping cart, it seems to me you'd have an even harder time dealing with inquiring or dissatisfied customers, wouldn't you?
    Generate more fake news.

Wow loving this new forum already...some great and interesting replies. Thanks pple!

I have to agree with everything's that said...I didn't think about the possible implications of a customer mistaking me for the actual merchant and then bothering me with sales questions I can't answer.

I was a little caught up in the fact that the visitor comes to my page and sees my big logo or website title, and then minutes later he gets redirected to a totally different website with a much uglier design. Hmm...but then again it's really quite similar to the traditional affiliate marketing of digital goods/services. :P

Oh yes did you guys create a site specially for shareasale prior to registering an account? I heard shareasale's requirements are pretty strict and they don't want any 'under construction' sites...

http and a telephoto
    You need to have a website built, yes. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it needs to be "real". It can be a blog or a static site or any one of a number of things. If you want to work with Shareasale merchants you need someplace to promote them from.
    Deborah Carney

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I have to agree with everything's that said...I didn't think about the possible implications of a customer mistaking me for the actual merchant and then bothering me with sales questions I can't answer.
    To give one example, when I was back at Mondera we had a script that could transfer content of a basket to the Monders site. What this basically entailed was

1. The aff partner had a dedicated site for Mondera with the data feed loaded onto it
    2. They had a shopping cart system to allow customers to brouse the "store" and add products to a cart
    3. They needed to co brand the site to make it look very similar to Mondera
    4. When the custom clicked check out, the basket contents were replicated into the Mondera basket, a session ID created and the LS tracking created
    5. The customer finished checkout on Mondera.

It was pretty involved, required keeping the data base very fresh to ensure no items were out of stock on the aff partner site and overall was a lot of work for everyone with fairly small return.

White labels, as Lox mentioned, are the easiest way to provide an easy solution.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Chris: That sounds like too much of hassle to write such a script! And yeah you're right you also have to somehow synchronize quantity of stock left with the merchant, transfer cart contents etc. etc...lol ok I'm sticking to what SAS was originally built for.

Loxly: My blog was actually rejected, and it met all their requirements stated. The design is way better than majority of their merchants' sites...Well fine it had 2 posts at that time, but it was more of a landing page then anything else.

I'm going for a full catalog site when I retry my account registration but I wonder how am I supposed to start building the site and populating it with the actual data when I can't even get access to the product feeds/links etc. Don't they make exceptions unless they have toooo many affiliates already and don't need more...

I am looking into creating my site with a shopping cart but little bit differently. I am thinking about disabling the 'add to cart' function and replace that 'add to cart' button with an affiliate link.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by zone
    Loxly: My blog was actually rejected, and it met all their requirements stated. The design is way better than majority of their merchants' sites...Well fine it had 2 posts at that time, but it was more of a landing page then anything else.
    It needs to be more than a landing page. Where was it hosted? Was it your own hosting or someplace like blogger or wordpress.COM? Did your email address match your domain?

Shareasale likes to work with affiliates that are really building sites, not that are making a place to only send PPC that is like a jump page to the merchant. (PPC guys don't jump on me, lol, I may not be explaining this as clearly as I could).

Most merchants on Shareasale are not there so affiliates can do DTM (Direct to Merchant) PPC, they are there to build real relationships with real affiliates that will be promoting their products via websites that are going to be around. Not fly by night hit and run affiliates. So you need a real website to show that is what you are doing. Building a real site to send your PPC or SEO or other traffic to.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by citra
    I am looking into creating my site with a shopping cart but little bit differently. I am thinking about disabling the 'add to cart' function and replace that 'add to cart' button with an affiliate link.
    Some affiliates have modified some shopping carts to do that. But really then what you have is a catalog and not a shopping cart. So any database/links directory type program can be used to create that kind of site and you are just going to skin it to look like a catalog. You don't need all the functions that a shopping cart was build for and will have lots of extra code on your site that you don't need.
    Deborah Carney

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread