What is the definition of a coupon site?
    I get emails from merchants saying: We no longer allow coupon sites in the affiliate channel.
    Well thatís fine, but what is your definition of a coupon site?

I also read in other threads, that merchants do not want to pay a commission because they think that the affiliateís website is a coupon site.

Letís say that I have an apparel website with 20 merchants and their products on that site. Three of the merchants have coupons that they want me to use on my site. So I put their coupons on the site. Are the other 17 merchants going to say that my site is a coupon site and they will not pay a commission if there is a sale?

Who is the judge? Sounds like the merchant without the coupon is the judge.

I hear that some merchants do not have coupons because the shopper will go to the merchantís website, leave to find a coupon, come back with the coupon, through the affiliateís site and then the merchant will have to pay the affiliate a commission.

From my business experience, coupons are smart marketing tools. Every shopper wants a coupon, deal, break, discount or whatever you want to call it. (Especially in this economy)

Merchants and Affiliate Managers: What is your definition of a coupon site?

If the merchants are stupid enough to drop you, it just means you will send more traffic to the ones who want you to post deals and steals. Just continue on and
    sell more stuff from their competitors.

Every reject is just a roadmap for you making more money promoting the merchants who want your business.

15 years and counting
    A long, long time ago, Google wiped out all the affiliates sites, all with the exception of coupon sites. The reason given by Google for keeping coupon sites was that they were providing a service!!! The others were considered thin affiliates. At that time a coupon site was just listing merchant names and coupons, nothing else. Affiliate sites with content and some coupons were not considered coupon sites.

No wonder why most of the affiliates sites are coupons sites, now. Search engines and networks are making stupid decisions impacting affiliate marketing.
    It would have been fine for a merchant to don't allow coupons a few years ago but it seems totally absurb now. The best suggestion for these merchants is to don't start an affiliate program if they don't want to allow coupon sites or they will never reach their full potential. The merchants not allowing coupon sites are the same ones having a coupon box during the checkout process and asking the visitor to fill the box with a coupon.
    Google still have the best definition for coupons sites. I can call all my sites "coupon sites" if Google let me rank first for my keywords.

This is why I am still looking for a white label shopping portal to put on one of my shopping domains. I don't want to deal with hundreds of individual links and affiliate managers.

I would gladly share profits with a company who is willing to manage the technology, link updating, merchant relations, etc... while I focus on driving traffic.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    This is why I am still looking for a white label shopping portal to put on one of my shopping domains. I don't want to deal with hundreds of individual links and affiliate managers.

I would gladly share profits with a company who is willing to manage the technology, link updating, merchant relations, etc... while I focus on driving traffic.
    I have shopping portal if your interested. It allows for the admin to be able to update coupons, and/or allows merchants to post/ manage their coupons from a ppc model.

Its written in asp.net and C#. I have 25,000 invested in it (offshore development price)

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread