More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The Three Components of a Well Ranked Site?
    I see the three components as:

#1. Useful and Authoritative Content on a Specific Subject
    #2. Getting Initial Exposure and Links To Your Site
    #3. Keeping Your Site “Fresh” (Adding New Content)

Any others? Also, is adding fresh content an absolute must? I included #3 because I hear it all the time. But I have some "content pages" that show more traffic (AdSense Impressions) now than a year or two ago even though I have not added content or kept it "fresh". I suspect I picked up some backlinks in that time. Does the fresh content on existing pages count toward "authority"?

I know adding pages and sections related to your content counts toward authority and for sure can only help bring traffic, but I am wondering if simply modifying an existing page weekly (or more often) by perhaps having a "This Weeks Featured Product" is helpful at all.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I agree with #1 and #2.

You are right about #3 also. So maybe you need #3, depending on the age of your site and how good you have been in the past. (good report card, in good standing) I too have a site that I have not been updated for couple of years and it is my stable and best performer.

#4 I would add this. Brand name and recognition. If you already have a following and started a brand new site, and people know who you are, you can get links, backlinks, people blogging about you, etc. pretty quickly.

I think #3 has a lot to do with #1. If you are an authority site, which comes with age and links, I don't think new content is as important. Some subjects simply don't require updated information regularly. A site just starting out, needs to show a steady growth in quality content to reach maturity and authority status.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

http and a telephoto
    New content is important, but that doesn't mean constantly changing existing sub pages. It means adding new pages and updating the home page. The *site* needs to be fresh, not necessarily every single page. However, if you use includes on your pages it is easy to "update" the pages by making changes to the navigation and sidebars that don't affect the body of the page but still update the "page" as well as the site.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks ladidah for the suggestion of #4. I think "branding" would be very important if you were selling a unique product. It could also play a very big role if you could somehow brand your affiliate site with a shopper service. This takes a lot of work and sustained effort. I have an informational site that ranks very high and is just now, after nearly 5 years of a lot of effort, starting to (barely) become a household name (based on how many people search for the site name by itself). No doubt, once you achieve this status, your site (and brand) can grow by word of mouth, on its own.

With respect to fresh content, I have done some experimenting as of late. Fresh content on the home page, by itself, will bring the search spiders back more frequently, but still, that does not mean you will get better ranking (at least not for me). I tried adding "This weeks featured product" to an affiliate site. It has been about a month now and my rankings moved a bit, but seemed to have settled back down to where they were originally. I linked out to the merchant site within the featured product blurb. I am thinking that if I also linked to pages within my site, I would benefit more - I will try this. What has worked for me well (on my content site) is to create a new page on my site and then link to that new page on my home page and leave that link in place. Thus, I am then updating the home page along with building my site. This is probably something I will be trying on my affiliate site. The intra-site linking seems to be key - I have read this in a number of places regarding blog posting - link to the post, and link back to the site within the post.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

BUMP.

I bumped this thread to show over the SPAM post.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread