HTML or PHP for SEO ?
    Hi Everyone,

Up until now I have created most of my pages as html files, have run php scripts on them and parse the pages using an htaccess.

I am now thinking of just creating future pages/sites as php files.

The question is, do the SERPs have any preference? if they see 2 identical pages, one a php page and one an html page do they see any difference?

Thanks in advance.

mopek

ABW Ambassador
    Isn't php dynamic, and html static?

So it would really depend on your content. An http page and a php page couldn't be identical then could they?

I have pages with .html, .htm, and .php for the page extensions.

They all do the same - come up on the first or second page in search results in the big G.

The extension has made no difference on my pages at all.

My server seems to display .php pages faster because it doesn't have to parse php in pages with .html.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Isn't php dynamic, and html static?

So it would really depend on your content. An http page and a php page couldn't be identical then could they?
    you can run php includes and soforth in .htm and .html pages by using .htaccess to tell php on the server to parse php in .htm and .html pages.

In your .htaccess file you put:

Code:
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .htm
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .html

Thanks!

Julian - I basically do what BurgerBoy just explained so that the pages are in fact dynamic.

BurgerBoy - I thought there would be no difference but wasn't completely sure. BTW, what is .htm for?

Quote Originally Posted by mopek
    Thanks!

Julian - I basically do what BurgerBoy just explained so that the pages are in fact dynamic.

BurgerBoy - I thought there would be no difference but wasn't completely sure. BTW, what is .htm for?

FrontPage 2003 made pages ending in .htm. I still have some on older sites.

If all of your pages are .html you don't need that line in .htaccess.

Some other programs do also.

Got it ... thanks

.htm is the same as .html, the only difference is in several years ago DOS and Windows type operating systems allowed only 3 letter file extensions so ".html" became ".htm" and by now it has become a habit...

The search engines have absolutely no preference whether it is html, htm, php, asp, jsp, ... The bottom line is no matter which technology you use the code that is eventually sent to the browser (and search engine bot) is HTML (or a modern variation like xhtml). Whatever you use at the back-end, the front-end is always the same and search engines will not differentiate.
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

c4 is right that "The search engines have absolutely no preference whether it is html, htm, php, asp, jsp" -- there was a time in the 1990s when some search engines treated pages differently based on the extension, but that's long behind us.

There are certainly some ways that a page can be designed or implemented, using any technology, that could interfere with proper indexing of the site, especially if the site makes extensive (or worse, inconsistent) use of URL parameters.

It's also extremely important to recognize that "what you see is not necessarily what you get." Just because a page has a .htm or .html extension, does not mean that there isn't ASP or PHP code running to generate that page. For several years (starting back when a few search engines still favored .htm pages over .asp versions), my sites were dynamically-generated from databases, but appeared as if they were static HTML pages (.htm) to visitors; I simply directed the server to interpret .htm pages using the ASP parser. It's entirely possible to create a site that has .jsp or .asp file suffixes, which actually is entirely written using PHP (or ColdFusion or any other technology).

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread