Question (sort off)
    Hello there,

I have a question for you all. I am a starting affiliate, only been doing this for three weeks. So far I've been able to make some money, but unfortunately have always later lost more than I made (in AdWords costs). I know I have much to learn, and I'm frantically trying to learn as much as I can (I'm almost certainly going to lose my day job within the next month, so I feel enormous pressure to find an alternative - even if partial - source of income until I can get on my feet again).

I know no one will hold my hand while I learn. I know this forum is filled with very useful tips I should study (and I intend to). But I do have a question: I am a smart guy, have been working as a software developer for several years, with three degrees (one advanced degree focusing on artificial intelligence), I am certain there has to be a way to utilize this knowledge to gain an edge I can exploit. I would appreciate it if someone could send a tip or an idea my way, and save me the months of learning until I stumble into it myself. I would be delighted to share anything I find/create/utilize.

That is, assuming such an advantage exists... but surely it must, because if there wasn't one, there wouldn't be programs such as Keyword Elite and that sort of thing. Though to be honest, my (very limited) impression is that they aren't doing anything too fancy. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Anyone interested in throwing me a tip? I need to do whatever it takes to get this working... and just can't wait weeks, months and years to get there.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Conan
    nemo5001@gmail.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    just can't wait weeks, months and years to get there.
    May not help if you start with this attitude.
    Affiliate mktg may not be the right thing for you if you want to succeed today and think somebody in a public forum will teach you the secrets.

ABW Ambassador
    "and just can't wait weeks, months and years to get there"

You may have to. This is not a quick and easy way to earn some extra income. It is a serious business that required serious effort.

Good luck though.

I wasn't looking for anyone to reveal the secrets, just some aspect that perhaps no one has been able to do so far.

I guess there is no straightforward tip like this

Sorry - I didn't intend to waste any of your times.

Thanks,
    Conan

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    First find a good program to promote (that can take weeks/months) Then create a high content site that pre-sells the product. (that can take weeks/months) Then create search engine optimized landing pages for high ranking - each page optimized for a specific keyword (that can take weeks/months) - prey search engines rank you high enough to get traffic (that can take days/years) etc etc etc No shortcuts (unless you write a parasite program that steals the sales of other affiliates - but I wouldn't advise it)

Thanks FriendlyPlanetTravel. It's actually what I intended to do. The only problem I envisioned is getting the website optimized so that it would be easily found through Google.. This seems like an almost impossible task. I have another website (non-affiliate) on a super-niche concept, and even that's one not in the first few pages of a google search.

By the way, do parasites actually exist? Shouldn't it be very easy to track them down and preoecute them?

You know, I think that perhaps I didn't really explain myself well in this thread. I'm not asking for any specific tips on how to become a better affiliate (though that would certainly be more than welcomed - you all know more than I do). I'm more interested in finding out if - and how - some advance AI can be used to help get an affiliate edge.

i.e. use data mining techniques to try and find out which keywords are going to be cheaper based on current news, so go look for deals on these products. Stuff like that. I'm making this example up (it may be utter nonsense), but you understand what I'm trying to say....

Hi Conan, and welcome to the forum.

First off, if you have already made some money within three weeks of doing this, then you are already on the right track. It seems like you are using Adwords to drive most of your traffic, so I'll try and give some useful tips on how to optimize that.

The best thing to do with Adwords is to optimize your landing pages for certain keywords. Also, make sure your keywords are not very common. You want to use keywords that are considered to be long-tailed. For example, you will get a TON of hits on a keyword like "shoes", with hardly any sales because people are still in the browsing mode. You will get fewer hits with a keyword like "women new balance shoes" but it is more targeted, and better chance of conversion because the shopper has already narrowed down what they want, and are going into the buying stage.

Also learn about SEO because even if you find a niche that you can sell, sometimes you just won't be able to make a profit from using just Adwords. Free traffic is always the best.

Also, the best advice I can give is to research your niche very well, learn who your competitors are and offer your visitors something no one else has before. Then advertise this to get backlinks and more traffic. Write some articles on your niche and write a few press releases.

Hope this helps.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    By the way, do parasites actually exist? Shouldn't it be very easy to track them down and preoecute them?
    Welcome to ABestWeb. You have a lot to read and a lot to learn. You can start here:
    ParasiteWare Forum
    Linkshare/OneCause
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Hi Conan,
    Some niches pay out a lot better than others. Check for programs which give high commissions and will continue to give commission for re orders.
    I am an affiliate manager for a leading RX Program. We also have no big secret that will make you lots of money overnight, but with the right hard work and efforts you can make nice money as an RX Affiliate.
    Basically what I'm trying to tell you is: find an established and successful affiliate program to join with a product that you believe you can sell and take it from there.

Good luck,
    Jeff Clifford

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    Landing Page Optimization and "long tail keywords":

OK a brief lesson example:

I recently had to go to Madrid Spain. When I checked for flights on the biggies they ranged from $800 and up. When I checked through our in-house flight contracts, the price was $384. A substantial savings obviously. Though we sell guided tours, to expand our business and offer our clients better service, I've talked my boss into allowing our customers to take advantage of our proprietary flight/hotel contracts and the substantial discounts they would be privy too. So soon this F.I.T. capability will be available on site , and be a substantial revenue source for our affiliates.

How could a "good" affiliate promote this service?
    With Landing Page Optimization and "long tail keywords".

1. Goto https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
    and find keyword suggestions - for example "flights to madrid"

2. then analyze each: for example the long tail keyword phrase "flights to madrid spain" draws 1,000 searches a month but there are only 14,800 websites on google competing with this phrase. It is then simply a matter of creating a landing page that is optimized for this particular phrase. Doing so should easily get you in the top ten listings at google, and vola -you have "free" traffic (cost is your time) and if linked to an easy sell merchant program - a steady commission source.

Since there are other longtail keywords for this particular product, flight to Madrid, and there are hundreds of other destinations available with these bargains - it will keep you busy and profitable for a long time.

You might find it helpful to do a search for products that are sold using the Rapid Action Profits script. These are usually ebooks or digital products, often related to business and online marketing, that you would be selling to people interested in building their web businesses. But I believe that there are also health ebooks, self-improvement ebooks, and more that are being sold using this script.

The reason why I mention it is the whole cash issue. When a webmaster sells something using the RAP script it allows them to pay their affiliates out immediately to their Paypal account. Then you can transfer it to your bank and have your hands on it in a couple of days. This can be a lifeline early in an affiliate's career when you may still be getting your feet wet selling physical products through other affiliate networks. Usually with many of those you have a long wait to get paid - 60 days after sale before check is issued,then you might get the check as long as a month after that.

I mention this because I know that cash flow is incredibly important and if you worry about losing your job soon you don't have a lot of time to waste with promoting products that don't pay you out quickly.

Dan

believe it or not, superCool knows a thing or two about baby-AI (rules engines). what do you need first before you can perform deep analysis work? good data right? that would be superCool's first goal....to gather real-world data from current ppc activities and detailed site statistics. once you collect some data and understand it, then you can unleash the power of AI to help you analyze it and come up with a plan of attack. you should be able to do some cool things if you're creative

it won't be quick, you have to build the data or find some place to get it.

you seem afraid to crack the google nut, that's not a good sign. that's pretty important for anything you do in this area. you better figure it out.

that's what superCool would do. good luck

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread