http and a telephoto
    Windows Defender - ugh!
    I'm glad that the might Microsoft wants to help my computer stay "clean" but my laptop was just chugging and chugging and chugging away, and has been for several days running very loudly and even if I had no visible programs running and after I checked my running processes Task Manager was telling me my CPU was running at almost 90%! Constantly.... so this morning I did some digging and low and behold, it wasn't listed as a "process" but under "services" I saw Defender running.

I was ready to upgrade to a new computer, figuring this one was on it's last legs (it's only a year and a half old). I'm glad I did some digging and found the culprit. I run plenty of stuff to keep my computer safe, I don't need Microsoft using up all my CPU to "protect" me.

Just in case someone else can't figure out why *their* computer is running nostop...

(and save the Mac upgrade jokes It's on the list to maybe try one out later this year )
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Task Manager was telling me my CPU was running at almost 90%! Constantly.... so this morning I did some digging and low and behold, it wasn't listed as a "process" but under "services" I saw Defender running.

I don't need Microsoft using up all my CPU to "protect" me.
    Don't ya know that this is the advanced method of protection.......Use up all of the resources so that no one else can get access.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Get norton 2009 uses far less resources than any other security app out there and it disables windows defender, which shouldnt use that much of your resources, something must of went funky in the last update that MS rolled out 7 days ago

Loxly - If you get the newest version of defender, and adjust the scanning settings properly (I believe their old default was every day, full scans...), Defender should be fine. I know this was an issue that people have faced before (including myself), as I've done some PC technician work over the past few years. I still believe Defender is one of the better products out there, even if you just have it on auto-protect and run scans manually, which would eliminate the high CPU load you were experiencing.

Seems to me that a complete security scan of your entire system is going to take time, probably some hours, no matter which software is performing it.

Just sliding around the Mac upgrade jokes for a moment...
    Here is a thing that surprised me when I started visiting this forum:
    I had previously got the impression (from elsewhere on the webs, over a number of years) that all people who have websites are Linux users.

I mean, your/our sites are probably served out of RedHat and Debian servers aren't they? And you look after your sites, so you must know the nix system. But you use Windows at home?

I don't mean to hijack the thread or change topic. But I really was surprised to find a large number of people who have websites but are not Linux users.

Cool
    I believe antivirus programs like F-prot are available for linux too.

Quote Originally Posted by hairy_hermit
    Seems to me that a complete security scan of your entire system is going to take time, probably some hours, no matter which software is performing it.

Just sliding around the Mac upgrade jokes for a moment...
    Here is a thing that surprised me when I started visiting this forum:
    I had previously got the impression (from elsewhere on the webs, over a number of years) that all people who have websites are Linux users.

I mean, your/our sites are probably served out of RedHat and Debian servers aren't they? And you look after your sites, so you must know the nix system. But you use Windows at home?

I don't mean to hijack the thread or change topic. But I really was surprised to find a large number of people who have websites but are not Linux users.
    If we were Linux users for our desktops, we wouldn't have time to manage our websites.

http and a telephoto
    I did try linux as an operating system, it doesn't have the programs available that I need for day to day work. Yes it is great for webhosting etc, but I can't run photoshop on linux.

The problem I have with defender is it wasn't showing in the processes list and it was hogging all my system resources and yes it seems to be from one of the latest updates because it started being a hog about a week ago.

Yes I understand anything that does a complete scan is going to take time and resources, but I should be telling it when and how. It was set to auto scan at 2 in the morning. It was running constantly.
    Deborah Carney

Switch to Norton 2009 trust me you will love it and it wont bog your system down

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Is "Defender" a Vista feature? Or is it something I should look for on my XP machine when it's lagging?

http and a telephoto
    It's with XP too, but I am not sure if it was bundled or an add in, or if they added it during an upgrade. I had it on my XP machine, and removed it from there actually. You can't uninstall it from Vista.

Thanks HardwareGeek I don't have Norton, bad experiences with it in the past, but I'm covered.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Is "Defender" a Vista feature? Or is it something I should look for on my XP machine when it's lagging?
    I had it on my old xp computer and never had any problems with it.

I now have Vista on my new computer.

I had Norton on my old computer and it sucked bad, Kept the computer tied up and running slow all the time.

On the Vista computer I run windows defender and eset at the same time and I've never had any problems with it and it's never gotten any worms, trojans, or anything.

eset runs a very lite foot print on your computer and is pro-active. It will catch things that have no difinition yet by just recognizing their pattern as compared to other viruses, trojans, worms and etc.

I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4. http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php It has a 30 day free trial also.

Windows Defender did not cause me any problems at all on either computer.

Hmm... where did you do this digging? I went to the Task Manager because that's where I thought it would be since you mention looking for it under Processes, but I don't see a Services tab.

My computer is running okay, I'm just really curious now! :P

http and a telephoto
    Defender is fine on the newer Vista computer that is a 64 bit. Trisha I don't remember if there is a services tab in XP Task Manager, my last XP computer bit the dust in December.

As noted above it might have something to do with a recent Vista update on the laptop. It wasn't impacting performance before last week. On the XP it was when Defender first was released and it was a horrible resource hog. Yes, I push my computers quite hard, but if they suddenly can't handle *anything* and as soon as I disable Defender they are back to normal.... well... that's my answer.

As I said also, it may not be the same for everyone, I was just putting this out there in case someone else was having unexplainable performance issues.
    Deborah Carney

There's not... so I guess I'm going to just blissfully ignore this until it bites me in the butt.... sounds like a good plan, no? lol

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    There's not... so I guess I'm going to just blissfully ignore this until it bites me in the butt.... sounds like a good plan, no? lol
    Yup, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Deborah Carney

How can I find it?

It's not under programs or in task mgr?

http and a telephoto
    If you have Vista it is built in and you have to click on Windows Security settings to get to it. Control Panel/Security Settings/Windows Defender
    Deborah Carney

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread