What would you do?
    I was invited into a merchant's program today and I decided to join because they seem to have a decent program that fits well with my niche.

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice at the very end of their list of protected keywords they state: "Please request permission for additional search terms not listed here."

The thing is, they only recommended 5 or 6 basic keywords. It makes it sound as if they want you to send them your entire list of keywords to get permission on any keywords that they don't already recommend. I currently have well over 25,000 keywords for that niche, even though most of them are paused, I doubt anyone would have time to look through a list that huge.

On the other hand, they might have meant by that statement that they want affiliates to get permission for any words that might be similar to their protected keywords. If this is the case, maybe they should change their wordage to something like: "Please request permission for any additional search terms that may be similar to our restricted terms, but are not listed here."

So what would you do? Would you send them your keywords or not? Does it seem like this merchant is trying to get affiliates to send them their entire keyword lists, possibly so they can use them? Or is it just a case of them poorly describing what they meant to say?

Obviously I am not going to send them any of my keywords. I will just avoid the words they don't allow and leave it at that. I might contact their affiliate manager eventually to let them know how confusing that statement sounds.

I would never send anyone keywords, active or not.

If faced with this issue, I would contact the affiliate manager for clarification - if they seriously expect you to provide a list of keywords (regardless of those that might be deemed similar to the brand), I would drop them. And fast.

Seems likely it's a just a confusing statement that no one ever questioned.

Recently I had a merchant express surprise that I had even read an update to their t&c! Had received an email that something had changed, and asked a question.

This is a good reminder for us publishers to carefully read merchant policies..

I'm with teezone, don't send them. I can understand why some merchants may want to see them but there should be a better way to work around providing your secrets.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thanks for the reassurance. The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure it is just a case of bad wordage. The program in question is a very well-known brand, so I doubt they are actually trying to collect keywords.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I agree all around, and I just want to say you really should at least tell them about the confusion because they may honestly think it sounds right. Not everyone has the writing skills to even recognize that there's something confusing about that statement.

I hate keyword policies, if you as a merchant have restricted keyword policies make it easier on us and do not offer ppc. Makes no sense

Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    I hate keyword policies, if you as a merchant have restricted keyword policies make it easier on us and do not offer ppc. Makes no sense
    i do really agree with u

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Are you sure the merchant is giving you keywords you should not focus on as opposed to ones they want you to focus on?

I believe, though, that merchants certainly have the right to dictate PPC terms you can not bid on but not keywords you focus SEO on.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread