View Poll Results: Google Page Rank Poll - What Hurts a Site's Page Rank?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dead links.

1 3.23%
  • Multiple redirected pages.

0 0%
  • Lack of content.

11 35.48%
  • Datafeeds without unique wording.

5 16.13%
  • Pages with duplicate titles.

2 6.45%
  • Missing titles on pages.

2 6.45%
  • Multiple outward links.

3 9.68%
  • Not Listed - See Comments

7 22.58%
    Google Page Rank Poll
    What do you think contributes the most to losing page rank with Google? Please choose what you think would be the top two.
    If I missed some, please add it into the comments.

Thanks!
    Last edited by leeann; March 19th, 2009 at 12:06 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Ummm a lack of inbound links?

Or more precisely, a decline in authority of the inbound links that you have.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Now regarding Page Rank, you do mean TBPR (Toolbar Page Rank - little green bar) and not SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages), right?

Because most items listed affect SERPs and do not pertain to PR. So I didn't vote.

What dynamoo mentioned is one of the impt things, having good inbound links will affect PR and if you had it up there, that would get my vote.

ABW Ambassador
    Most of your poll choices will not affect Google Page Rank.

Page Rank is sooo overrated.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Page Rank is sooo overrated.
    Agreed. Do people still go by Page Rank? Has no relation to SERPS.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp
    Agreed. Do people still go by Page Rank? Has no relation to SERPS.
    I believe that's a giant generalization.

You can draw natural traffic for long tail and odd searches without PR, but I doubt you can hold a candle for one word searches that have tremendous competition and visibility without it.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

That said, PR is not the only, nor perhaps even the most important factor in gaining those eyeballs. Nor can it be scientifically stated how PR is currently calculated (toolbar or otherwise.) So the question will always remain:

Is a page popular because of its PR? Or is it's PR what it is because of its popularity?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    PR means you get spidered more frequently, it has no direct relation to SERPs or traffic. I had a PR8-9 site for several months that had very little actual traffic. (Compared to what you *think* a PR9 site should have!).

Work on SERPs not on PR. IMO.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ummm a lack of inbound links?
    Quality Google approved inbound links are the biggy.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    If your have a page that should be updated like a blog and it is not being updated. That makes Pagerank drop pretty well.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Google PageRank is for webmaster's egos - have even heard speculation that Google will be phasing it out as it has can be manipulated as easily as Alexa ratings.

You see a lot of manipulated PageRanks in buying/selling domains as PageRank used to be a barometer of a domain's value.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

> "Please choose what you think would be the top two." <

I can only select one item when voting, not two. I'm really not sure that it's fair to identify any specific problem as the "most important" -- nearly all of these could be "the most important problem" for a particular site.

I'd say the biggest factor for SERP placement is the quality and *frequency* of inbound links. A site might have some very high quality inbound links, but unless it's gaining new, equally valuable links every month it may lose placement. I believe over the past few years Google has put a lot more emphasis on the frequency and age of links. The newer and stronger the links, the better.

Everything else is second to this. You really just want to avoid leaking too much link juice and avoid using any spammy on-site techniques.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

How do you build inbound links?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

What I found that works for me is not listed on the poll.

What works for me is SEO in the page contents, meta tags and page title.

I can put any page I want on the first page of G without worrying about anything else on the page.

SEO is the most important thing you can do with a page.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I don't look for inbound links at all and it does not affect my sites ranks.

I can put any page I want on the first page of G search results with SEO only.

You would be a lot better off by building pages with good SEO instead of spending your time trying to get inbound links. They don't affect my pages or sites at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I don't look for inbound links at all and it does not affect my sites ranks.

I can put any page I want on the first page of G search results with SEO only.

You would be a lot better off by building pages with good SEO instead of spending your time trying to get inbound links. They don't affect my pages or sites at all.
    The idea isn't to necessarily look for links, but to earn them on a regular basis from people referring users to your site. The best kind of links come naturally without any effort on your behalf. But that being said it's still a good idea to seek them out in very prominent places such as posts on major blogs or news outlets with press releases. Without a regular flow of natural links any site won't last very long in Google.

My guess is you must be earning them naturally not to have to worry about them.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    That's the big question isn't it? My best strategy is to monitor blogs and news outlets that talk to my target audience and note what it takes to get a story. Maybe today they're talking about sites that implement Facebook Connect, but tomorrow they might be talking about sites that implement an iPhone app. Then I try to take it a step further and implement Facebook Connect and an iPhone app to see if I might get a story.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    PR means you get spidered more frequently, it has no direct relation to SERPs or traffic. I had a PR8-9 site for several months that had very little actual traffic. (Compared to what you *think* a PR9 site should have!).

Work on SERPs not on PR. IMO.
    Would love to look at that site to understand the causes of that. If it was some real PR gained form related sites in your industry, then it it should be doing quite well.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The PR Number is outdated and irrelevant.

To get good SERP rankings you need good content. And the good content can then get a lot of natural and relevant inbound links. Those are the two biggies that have stood the test of time.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by SandisMN
    Would love to look at that site to understand the causes of that. If it was some real PR gained form related sites in your industry, then it it should be doing quite well.
    The site is now settled in at PR 5-6. Still gets the same traffic it did when it was a 9. My point is that the 9 didn't make a heckof allotta difference.

Page rank is not your goal as a webmaster or affiliate. Ranking in actual searches for the products on your pages is your goal. I personally know a lot of PR1 sites that make a lot of money because they show up in the searches that people are using to find the products being sold on those sites.

Focus on making your sites usable by people and the search engines will find you. You can try and game the system but that won't work for long.

As far as inbound links, you want your sites and products to be talked about, go comment on appropriate blogs (whether the links are nofollowed or not) so that real people will find your products and pages. Deep link from social networks and when you are talking about your sites anywhere online. Link building is easier but harder than it ever was. Now you can still post on directories, but you can also go find blogs and communities where you can participate and put your links *when they are appropriate to the conversation*.

More and more people writing on the web in blogs or where ever go do research on a topic and then link to the sites/pages where they find appropriate information. There is more natural link building going on than people going out asking for links.

Press releases are another way to build good inbound links, but again, you have to talk about something worthwhile.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Network Rep
    Thank you for your reply, Loxly.

I'm more of technical type person, thats why I found it very interesting to ask. PR9 means lot of power from linking perspective so lots of magic could potentially be done there from heavy internal linking to millions of long tail pages ranking almost like wikipedia, but okay, whats gone, gone.

However, this quote is absolutely true and I couldn't word it better. It is "a quote of the day" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    More and more people writing on the web in blogs or where ever go do research on a topic and then link to the sites/pages where they find appropriate information. There is more natural link building going on than people going out asking for links.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by SandisMN
    Thank you for your reply, Loxly.

I'm more of technical type person, thats why I found it very interesting to ask. PR9 means lot of power from linking perspective so lots of magic could potentially be done there from heavy internal linking to millions of long tail pages ranking almost like wikipedia, but okay, whats gone, gone.

However, this quote is absolutely true and I couldn't word it better. It is "a quote of the day" for me.
    Believe me, I took advantage of the outbound linking to some hand picked other sites But again, the traffic wasn't buying traffic and the levels were way lower than one would expect for a PR9 site. Unless my analytics were lying to me, which is possible! But not probable.
    Deborah Carney

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread