Vanity Domains, etc.
    Does re-directing vanity, keyword soaked URLs to you website still have an SEO effect?

Was asked this question this morning, and I realized my opinion on the matter hadn't changed in a few years...

What do you feel the value of re-directing keyword based URLs to your main site is, if any?

Or are they really only good for running micro advertising campaigns, for tracking purposes?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Does re-directing vanity, keyword soaked URLs to you website still have an SEO effect?

Was asked this question this morning, and I realized my opinion on the matter hadn't changed in a few years...

What do you feel the value of re-directing keyword based URLs to your main site is, if any?

Or are they really only good for running micro advertising campaigns, for tracking purposes?
    I don't know about redirecting URL's, but I do know that if you do a permanent redirect from multiple, related, domain names - it will help in Google.

Back in late 2002 - early 2003 I had a bunch of private label sites under many different domains and along came Google's Florida update - these sites got spanked by Google for duplicate content / doorway type sites. I pulled them down, created a new site on a new domain and ended up redirecting the domains to the new domain.

I kept renewing the majority of these domains year after year. Last year I started selling them off. I noticed that if I searched Google for the keywords in the domain, ie: keyword keyword, or keywordkeyword, the site I was redirecting them to ranked very well in the SERPs. Also, if I searched for a redirected domain, that the domain I was redirecting to came up first in the SERPs, long after I had sold the domain - easily 6-8 months.

I image some of the ranking was attributed, not only to the redirected domains, but that the redirected domains were 5+ years old.

I think redirecting domains may have some value, but only if the redirected domains have "aged". In other words, I don't think someone can go out and register 51 domains and redirect 50 of them to one of them.

I doubt if redirecting URLs will have any benefits and more than likely will cause a drop in the SERPs.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Use the keyword rich domain as your primary domain for any SEO benefit then advertise the vanity domain(s) and have them redirect to the keyword rich main url.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread