IE8 available
    in one hour
    www.microsoft.com/ie8

noon EDT

Affiliate Manager
    Great, a new set of non-standard implementations to deal with.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

IE8 is being pushed via automatic updates now. I'm thinking that I need to keep IE7 to check my pages since more people will have that for a while. Has anyone tried it to see if there is much difference in the way it renders.

I put IE8 on one of our computers tonight just to see. I was a little disturbed by the "Compatibility View" feature. It's supposed to make sites designed for older browsers look good in IE8. It is easily turned on and off but it makes a difference.

To have the site I checked look the same as IE7 I have to view in Compatibility View. If it's off then IE8 messes with my positioning. So now we have to figure out how to look good in both.

Lots of people auto-update and will have it whether they want it or not. I like how they named IE7 View as "Compatibility View".

ABW Ambassador
    I installed it several weeks ago and it was the worst browser I have ever used byt miles. It totally messed up my whole browser functions I'm used to etc in IE7. Lucky, I found a way to uninstall it and I wish you much better luck!
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I installed it a couple of weeks ago and have had no problems with it yet. I did have to make one correction with the toolbar which was very easy. I am using it on my Vista machine.

Gene
    TCS

I'm only seeing it as an "optional" download under Windows Update for XP. Perhaps the characterization of the upgrade is different for XP and Vista?

Mark,

You may be right. When I downloaded it, the update was specified for Vista.

I have not updated my two XP machines. Nor, have I been prompted to do so yet.

Gene
    TCS

I can't remember when I last fired up IE on my home PC! I don't think it has updated.

This version does seem much better than the release candidate though. I have a test installation that I have used on a few sites without any issues.

If you find that your site is not rendering properly in IE8, then you can add a tag to it which will make it render like IE7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I can't stand IE. Even before FireFox, I used the Mozilla/Netscape browser.

But. . . I guess I better take a look at this new IE browser so I can test new sites/pages on it.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You can use BrowserShots to check compatibility of IE8 (as well as about 90 other browsers/versions). BrowserShots doesn't have a way to check in IE8 compatibility mode, so I suppose I'll have to install on at least one machine.

So far I haven't been thrilled with the way it renders my sites in BrowserShots, especially my Joomla sites. Way ta go Microsoft.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

If you find that your site is not rendering properly in IE8, then you can add a tag to it which will make it render like IE7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197
    I didn't read every word but I couldn't find that. It looks like a guide telling PC users about Compatibility Mode.
    Some Web sites are designed for older browsers. You may experience compatibility issues on these sites until they are updated for Internet Explorer 8.
    Softy is as self centered as ever.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread