Question: sales tapering off
    Hi All,

I have a question I hope you can help me. Forgive me if it's very basic, I'm still new to the whole business.

Twice, so far, I've been able to find a niche I thought was really good. In both cases, I put ads that directly linked to the product. It turns out I was right in both case:things seemed to work very well in the first few hours: in the first I was making ok profit (sales greater than cost), in the second my revenues were much greater than my costs.

But then, after a few hours: it stops. A lot of clicks, but no sales. In the first I actually ended losing money, in the second I stopped the campaign just before that happened.

I don't understand: if this was a bad niche, then why was I making sales at first? And if it's not, then why am I not making sales anymore? What is going on? Is it a coincidence? (I know 2 is not a great sample size). I'm a new to this business, maybe I'm missing something very obvious here... Could it be hour of day?

By the way, in both cases I used a different affiliate program. So it can't be related to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
    Conan

ABW Ambassador
    It sounds as thought you didn't give your ads enough time to determine the real ROI
    How many clicks did you have?

Well, for the first campaign I had a total of 807 clicks. I don't think the last ~370 clicks resulted in any sale.

For the second campaign, I have much fewer - so far it's around 100 (still running).

Did the number of clicks you were receiving from your traffic source increase? I heard a PPC marketer at an affiliate conference say that some PPC companies will give you traffic from their best source first and if you keep buying the traffic then they start delivering traffic from some of their secondary sources which often have a much lower ROI.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    A possibility...

Your competition adjusted their campaigns and in turn their position changed your ad's position - you may have actually moved up in position, which means the visitor came to your site, went back and kept searching. You were no longer the last click...

Check your stats - and see if your average position changed.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Maybe this is what happened. In the second campaign (which I have now stopped) all sales took place in the first 30 minutes... and nothing afterward.

It feels like there's something going on there that I simply don't understand (but potentially could)...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    Did the number of clicks you were receiving from your traffic source increase? I heard a PPC marketer at an affiliate conference say that some PPC companies will give you traffic from their best source first and if you keep buying the traffic then they start delivering traffic from some of their secondary sources which often have a much lower ROI.
    Oh, btw, yes - it seems the number of clicks for the first campaign DID increase. Hmmm.

How do they define 'best source of traffic'?

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    You might want to give you campaigns at least a few days to see if they're viable vs. a few hours. That seems like it's too short of a time to get a really accurate picture of a campaign's long-term profitability.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread