Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=...3856054135&p=1
    I have seen very little response coming from AM's and Networks.
    Now that this matter has come to light what are your thoughts on this program and how it works?
    What actions will you take when shown proof of affiliate overwriting?
    What actions will you take when shown proof of competing merchants popping on affiliate sites or your sites?
    Will you be joining other AM's to band together to stop this?
    Will you be taking this matter to your repective networks?
    Does the company you represent advertise with this program?
    Can we expect your help in overcoming the present situation?
    Inquiring minds want to know!
    Cazzie

Join the Fight! Parasite Free In 2003!

Yes, I think it will be most interesting to see what the response to this is. This is blatant thievery, and no matter how you slice it, you can't say it's OK.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Well I guess the responses to this post tells it all! Not one AM has responded! Their silence speaks volumes.
    Todd and ScottJ have at least said they will look into it.
    Cazzie

Join the Fight! Parasite Free In 2003!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    This merchant alert thread just started today and it's Friday on a holiday weekend, give them time and I'm sure you will see some responses. You should bump it up on Monday AM when more AM's are online.

I declined them for Irvs way back in March after I first heard rumblings that they even might be parasitic. I also just posted in another AM only forum and alerted them to the main thread here. One of the AM's said, let's wait to see what the networks say before we pass judgement. On Sunday when I do my invoices I am alerting all my other merchants to be on the lookout and to decline if they try to join.

My guess is that the lack of response boils down to 2 things. 1) Many AMs are off or working limited hours for holidays. This thread alerting merchants was just started today. 2) One other time when I got involved in a situation like this there were threats of a lawsuit or other legal problems due to my post. Now I don't post any detailed info in threads like this and only in the private AM forum here.

Linda Buquet 714.754.1280 :: Catalyst eMarketing Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Merchants!

Cazzie,

So what you're really looking for is a response from AM's from stores that are mostly lurkers I would suppose.

I think the only way to get down to business with those that need to be made aware is a personal letter. To each and every program manager, management firm, which I think Leader is being drafted to write a letter to address this issue.

I think waiting a couple of days into the first work week is reasonable.

The damage to affiliates during Christmas has already been done and I don't think much can be changed about that.

Allen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gearshopper:
    I am sure that many AM's don't visit here<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI - We have 475 registered AMs

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Direct emails is definately the way to go. Many of the AM's here don't read all the threads and only check their own forums. I was on the board several times today checking new posts and somehow I didn't even see this one until now - 8 hours later. If you don't live on the boards full-time - which many AM's don't have time to do, then it's easy to miss posts if you only occasionally view new threads.

Whenever hot issues like this come up they are discussed in the AM forum. The last post in that forum was 3 days ago, since most do not work holidays. I really suggest personal emails and also bumping the thread on Monday.

Linda Buquet 714.754.1280 :: Catalyst eMarketing Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Merchants!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scarry to think that only a handful respond - Respond to smart ass replies also !

SandraR

ABW Ambassador
    Thing is - one of the PPC search engines has some kind of distribution deal with 180Solutions. I can't remember who it is at the moment or the nature of the deal but it maybe that these affiliates have bought 'honest' traffic via this PPC unaware of the nature of the deal the PPC has with 180Solutions. I am trying to find out who it is and all the info on the deal, but am not having much luck at the moment. Will report back later.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    Well, that didn't take long - the PPC is 7search but can't get info on the deal yet. Mind you, this might be a red herring and the affiliates concerned may very well have gone direct to source.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Gearshopper:
    I am sure that many AM's don't visit here<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko

Haiko, that is more than I expected... but much less than the overall total. Considering CJ has over (guessing) 1200 merchants just by themselves I stay with my comment.

It really is a shame that of those 475 only a couple of handfulls participate with us.

Why won't they let us know they are around? What are they afraid of?

I think this speaks the holy truth of what those AM's are really about.

Allen

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> which I think Leader is being drafted to write a letter to address this issue.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the first I've heard of that...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Direct emails is definately the way to go. Many of the AM's here don't read all the threads and only check their own forums.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A majority NEVER respond to any email.

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    They may not respond, but that doesn't mean they never read it or won't do anything.

For instance, I've had some of the best results in getting site theives booted, from AMs who never acknowledged my email. But when their links disappear from a copy site within a couple of days, I know THEY DID ACT on the information I provided.

I don't know what makes some decide to refrain from responding to emails informing them of some lowdown tactics, but as long as they terminate the offender, that's what counts to me.

I would think that they would respond about these parasites like they do about site thieves: Some will reply to emails, but there will be a contingent that never officially responds, but whose links will disappear from the parasitic site "by incredible coincidence" soon after they get an email.

Of course, there will be some who don't get rid of the parasites. But whether they do or not does not seem to correlate with whether they respond to emails. I remember reading about a lot of AMs who did respond to emails--to offer excuses as to why they were letting some parasite stay!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    No matter how few respond to email I still make the attempt. And, it seems, whenever I post their lack of response at ABW, ironically, all of a sudden, this generates input on their part. That's one of the key reasons you'll see me complain alot on these boards . . . not because I enjoy this pastime at all. I joined ABW because I saw that IT WORKS. Thanks Haiko, and all . . .

Now if only the AMs . . . . could get a clue~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

After careful consideration I have expired the affiliate in question from Irvs. My existing affiliate relationships are more important to me than anything else.

My hesitation at 1st was ONLY based on the fact that I thought - what if they were only partnered with 7search and thought they were just getting PPC traffic and did not know 7search was partnerd with 180. Since this affiliate admitted working with 180 and using iframes they are gone. It will take 7 days through CJ for them to officially be expired.

Again to my Irvs affiliates, barely any sales were made, so I don't think you lost commission to them. But based on the princals of honesty and fair play they are gone.

Thanks to MsB, Poon, Cazzie and everyone else for bringing this to light and fighting for what's right.

ABW Ambassador
    Linda
    Thanks for looking into this and doing the right thing.
    Cazzie

Fight Back! Parasite Free In 2004!

I did a search for 247malls.com (and 247mall - I'm confused as to which it is) in CJ and did not find them in our program. I PM'd Ms. B. to ask for CJ pids for any of the affiliates in question. It took me all morning, literally, to read the 7 page thread. I wanted to read it all the way through to make sure I got the right info - it would be my luck to do something and then have the next page of posts be about how the site name was wrong or something. But that particular site isn't in our program.

I checked my email once on Friday while doing physical inventory. That was the closest I came to working at my desk. I would hazard a guess that MANY AMs were off - especially those directly employed, like me. (Except I wasn't off, but that's another story. )

Anyway, when I came to ABW this morning, I did what I always do - check my forum, then check new posts. It was plastered with Ms. B's thread. The only reason I saw this post now was because Linda bumped it up.

Anyway, speaking for myself, if an affiliate emails me about something like this, I immediately respond. My email address is in my profile and my sig. Always feel free to use it.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager | eastwood.com
    e: patrice@eastwood.com | v: 610.323.2200x2206 | aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

From the dust up I'm assuming this is an important issue I need to get up to speed on asap. That said, lots of demands from many directions on the first day back for a lot of folks.

Will wade in asap.
    Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    affiliatehelp@JCWhitney.com
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681

Cazzie,

Overstock.com plans to take great measures in 2004 to prevent affiliate overwriting in our program. We view this as a serious issue and a blatant act of thievery. That being said, the best way to notify us of any infractions is to either post on ABW or send me an e-mail. Please be sure to provide evidence of the infraction so that we can research the issue thoroughly.

For example, BLFH (Ms. B) provided us with a video of the 180Solutions pop-up infraction. Her conclusive evidence was all we needed to temporarily remove 180 from our program.

J.T. Stephens
    Affiliate Program Manager
    Overstock.com
    jstephens@overstock.com

It is not just 180 solutions that is the problem. Removing them does not solve the whole problem, what about the affiliates using 180 solutions to advertise and overwriting..will they be removed too?

Connie,

We will remove those affiliates using parasitic software when we get proof of their infraction(s).

In regards to 180Solutions situation, assuming they pull their software, then anyone using their software will be affected as well.

Regards,

J.T. Stephens
    Affiliate Program Manager
    Overstock.com
    jstephens@overstock.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    JT you have more pull with Linkshare than any other merchant. I know Overstock no longer embraces parasitic affiliates, but you'll always be in the dark until you pressure LS to publish/devulge ALL affiliate Dupers using BHO applications. Merchant AM's should also be given a informed choice to NOT partner with S/W affiliates, regardless of assurances by some lame network compliance wank who runs the check mailing machine as their side job.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Even you pull 1800 Sulutions to your program, the affiliates that is in your program is using them to pop up on our sites and others are using 800sulutions and forcing cookies to the users machines.

What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I sure is important for OverStock to take a firm stand and stop supporting ALL BHO's from overwriting their affiliates cookies. Sure they can push their lame 2 coupons to the couponers to develop SE spam. Sure they can develop high traffic portals like iVillage with private labeled OS mirrored sites. Sure they can spend millions on TV Ads and send out 100 million e-mails a month ...as long as those don't overwrite their affiliate base cookies with a house account cookie.

But in no way can Overstock afford to play with BHO drive-by and bundled installs of the internet affiliate Duper sleezeballs. Nothing is ever gained from pissing off comnsumers with OS branded popups by these perps. Trashing OS customers systems and destroying their domain bound affiliates income should be eliminated in 2004.

Put a new TOS out at Linkshare to cover BHO's and spammers and make all affiliates approve the terms. ANY affiliate caught hijacking or overwriting another affiliate's cookie will forfeit all commissions due and be banned from OS's program. Simple and I'll even write it for you if you lawyers are incapable.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast