ABW Ambassador
    ok, i have found loads of urls that are basically cloaked, or making the pages actually look like the store.
    There must be thousands of them as i checked 2 of my keywords and 5 of the top page are these links!
    they are using domestictions, linenplace and probably all linkshare affiliates to do this.
    is this unethical?? spamming the search engines with it all? or am I just being a creep?

this is a couple of the searchs i did
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...incess+bedding

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+clues+bedding

*** And people say I'm just a housewife!!! ha ha ***

ABW Ambassador
    What they are doing, at least from the searches you posted, isn't unethical. Nothing illegal about it, and SE spamming is almost the norm these days. The site is also not cloaking - although it is doing SE spamming.

While this site is probably bringing the webmaster some nice money now, wouldn't count on the long term viability of this site. Google and the other SE's aren't wild about these types of pages (the site is rather useless), and sooner or later will filter them out in one of their many algo tweaks.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    That's not cloaking. Spam maybe, but not cloaking.

Sites Positioned Above Mine

ABW Ambassador
    yes, I realise now they are using the actual shop that is copied, I did not look all the way down properely!

it just annoys me that there is always someone out there that cheats their way!

*** And people say I'm just a housewife!!! ha ha ***

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    These are your typical affiliate keyword SE spammer offerings. Sites so sh*tty they just perfom automatic redirects to the merchants to set their cookies. Sad ...but most affiliates are tricks for clicks gimic players allergic to any type of value added selling.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Well I think what they are doing is very deceptive. I tried clicking on the menu links and all the links take you to the same page on the merchant site. For example I clicked bedding and wound up looking a gnomes. I can just imagine the visitors thought looking at that. Don't think they will last that long at least I hope not.
    Cazzie

Fight Back! Parasite Free In 2004!

ABW Ambassador
    >Sad ...but most affiliates are tricks for clicks gimic players allergic to any type of value added selling.

"BS"

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

Adam if your such an expert just ask the Google staff. 90% of all their SE spam is affiliate related.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    >Google staff.

Please post the names and direct phone lines + Email addy's..

[when the ipo happens, all direct contact will be eviscerated]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    >>they are using domestictions, linenplace and probably all linkshare affiliates to do this.

I haven't seen a lot of affiliates doing this particular system (with the top part of the page looking like the merchant). It's probably more like, a couple of people doing it in a massive way!

>>is this unethical??

Not in terms of the SEs, IMO. But the merchants may have a problem with their site design/logos/etc being used in that way! So I rate it Thumbs Down for copyright violations.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

Its funny this comes up.. I came across the site that has domestications in it and actually emailed domestications about it.. They said thanks for bringing it to their attention and they would take care of it. Well nothing was done. I don't think they cared about all the keywords, they didn't like the picture of their site on there... This was about a month ago, and as you can see nothing has been done..

I hate sites like these! You get stuck in a big SE keyword loop, they offer no value. They're infuriating when you want to actually BUY something.

That's the way to do it, I guess. Really P!SS off the customer, that'll teach 'em!

Andy

Similar spamming was mentioned before by All Piercings. Same system, probably by the same people.

SEO-wise; It's not Search Engine Optimization. It's screenshot of merchant page, with keyword spamming all the rest of the page. It's definetely SPAM.

I think these kind of practises are VERY BAD for all affiliates in the long term.

So we can cal on them with Google:

And contact the merchants. But, don't contact the AFFILIATE MANAGER of the program. Contact higher up, marketing VP or higher.

We need a lot of cleaning up to do... These people are not better than parasites IMO.

The only problem I have when sites do this is when they're not providing the product they're spamming. If Disney Princess Bedding was there when you clicked, I'd be good with it. When it just redirects to unrelated products, it's just annoying.

Well, I wouldn't call this spam. Spam, in my definition, is creating pages for keywords/keyphrases that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual page's content or merchant's products and then redirect in some way or another. I didn't follow all the links but what from I've seen, these pages are promoting the things they were optimised for.

In the business I'm coming from I've seen a lot worse things (like 45,000 subdomains with all possible keywords javascript redirected to a dialer-site). What you show in the two Google-SERPs is really mild spam, if spam at all. But if you are uncomfortable with it and feel it dilutes the SERPs report the sites to Google using the Google spam report: http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html. Don't expect these pages to be removed immediately, tho. Google is using the spam report to 'improve' their algo and only manually removes the sites in *very* extreme cases.

Whoever finds typos and grammar mistakes may keep them...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 45,000 subdomains <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wow...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really

A little PHP magic and a little knowledge about webservers and you could create an infinite number of subdomains. I've written a script like that myself for teaching myself PHP and it took me less than 2 hrs. Never used it, tho because I think sooner or later the search engines will find out and this would possibly result not only in blocking the domain but possibly in blocking the whole IP.

I love how the ABWers pussyfoot around these mine fields. Call them for what they really are cookie setting SE spammers who wake up every morning and check their network stats...then duplicate the scheme with more SERP friendly hidden pages on other merchant victims. The really lazy just look over eBates merchant list and apply to all those parasite friendly merchants....then just set out more cookie traps.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    When you come across sites like these, you
    should report them to Google. Google will
    determine whether they are spam or not, and
    decide whether to keep them or not.

Unethical SEO tricks are forbidded by the serach engines and the site can be banned for doing so. Here is info directly from Googles website and a link to report abuse:

Trying to deceive (spam) our web crawler by means of hidden text, deceptive cloaking or doorway pages compromises the quality of our results and degrades the search experience for everyone. We think that's a bad thing.

If your Google search returns a result that you suspect is spam, please let us know using this form. We investigate each report of deceptive practices thoroughly and take appropriate action when abuse is uncovered. At minimum, we will use the data from each spam report to improve our site ranking and filtering algorithms. The result of this should be visible over time as the quality of our searches gets even better. In especially egregious cases, we will remove spammers from our index immediately, so they do not show up in search results at all. Other steps will be taken as necessary.

Google appreciates your taking the time to help us improve our service for web searchers around the world. By helping us eliminate spam, you are saving millions of people time, effort and energy. We think that's a good thing.

http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html

Those of us doing ethical SEO do report unethical firms and sites and most search engines provide reporting emails.

The following email addresses can be used to report abuse:

Google: spamreport@google.com
    AltaVista: spam-support@altavista.com
    Fast: spam@fastsearch.com
    Teoma: help@teoma.com
    Inktomi: spambuster@inktomi.com

@valenkim

The problem with the spamreports is that they hardly ever have any effects. I used to be an enthusiastic spam reporter but seeing there were no results from doing so (the 45,000 subdomains are *still* in Google, although I reported them 6 months ago) I stopped doing it. I decided I'd rather spend my time and energy to be better than the spammers, which is not *that* hard btw.

For some of you this might sound disillusionised but I see no point anymore helping others doing what's supposed to be their business while they do their best to destroy mine (see the 'Florida'-update). I rather use my time making me money instead of preventing others (the SE-spammers) to make themselves money. In the long run, honest SEO is paying off better than short-term spamming.

Never should we ignor SE spammers as they not only destroy our hard earned SERPs, but poison shoppers attitudes towards affiliates in general. Tricks for clicks affiliate's cookie theft by deception parallels the losses we incur from the BHO's.

Mike & Charlie ...

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread