Thumbs up Affiliate Networks vs. In house Hosted Networks Linkjuice?
    Hi,
    Bear with me as this is a first post from a board lurker. I am an affiliate manager here at my company. We are looking at our in house program to accompany our network program. What we are trying to determine is how much link juice does google give (if any) to CJ, Shareasale, and Pepperjam. And does that differ from in house programs like Post Affiliate Pro. We would like to bring in an option that helps our SEO while at the same time gives us a reliable system for our in house affiliates.

Please share your thoughts on this! Thanks!

Affiliate Manager Heather@Stacks's Avatar
    There is zero link juice through CJ. The redirects used to set the tracking mean that no links are attributed to the merchant, and therefore no SEO benefit.

That was our understanding about the big 3 affiliate networks. In house is really what we are curious about. Is it worth doing SEO-wise. Obviously we could offer a higher percentage commission in house without a middle man but is there a benefit to our SEO focus.

Thanks!

Affiliate programs are to drive customer acquisition and sales on a performance basis NOT for link juice - that's your SEO team's job.

Do NOT try to mix the two, affiliates will see the alternate impetus and your program will suffer.

Edited to add: That said there are ways to have your affiliate's direct link for slotting fees as well as other network based work arounds to benefit both affiliate and merchant. But the SEO aspect should, once again, not drive your network nor platform decision making.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; March 23rd, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Affiliate programs are to drive customer acquisition and sales on a performance basis NOT for link juice - that's your SEO team's job.

Do NOT try to mix the two, affiliates will see the alternate impetus and your program will suffer.

Edited to add: That said there are ways to have your affiliate's direct link for slotting fees as well as other network based work arounds to benefit both affiliate and merchant. But the SEO aspect should, once again, not drive your network nor platform decision making.
    We totally agree with that. Our company is large enough where we are not in "SEO peril." I do however want to be able to provide facts and info to the big boys of the company and I figured this would be a good place to glean your minds for info I really do appreciate it and have learned quite a bit from your forums!

Our pleasure PDX, that's what we are all here for - to learn and earn more symbiotically.

If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Our pleasure PDX, that's what we are all here for - to learn and earn more symbiotically.

If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

I am really looking at providing a quality In House program that works well with affiliates giving them confidence in it. Basically affirming to them that they are going to see their commissions. I am trying to gauge a more precise view of Post Affiliate Pro 4 Direct link tracking and if that alone makes it stand out over other software alternatives. The SEO boost is a plus that would give it bonus points but really is it going to help that much. Sorry if I am rambling. Basically: Does anyone know if the directlink tracking helps in SEO?

And if you have worked with PAP4 as an affiliate did you find it easy to use?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In my opinion PAP gives increased SEO to the merchant site as well as the affiliate site. I have no prepared study, just have seen a program grow 100% a year since we employed PAP.

As Haiko mentioned you never should force your affiliates to use direct links unless you want to pay them for it. A few extra points of commission would encourage them. Also, speak to the network on the matter as well. Several of them say they have SEO friendly links.

So with PAP the control of the Direct link being used or not used is definitive? Either we have it setup for that or not. Our goal is to have a higher % commission for in affiliates that choose to go with our in house instead of a network(Shareasale, CJ, PJ, etc). Its true, it does cut out the middle man giving us less paid to the third party(which a means larger amount for affiliate) but with that is can you set it so Direct link is required. And for those not wanting direct link they would be able to use the networks instead. Does that make sense? Thanks for taking the time to chat with me. I appreciate it Haiko, Heather, and Chuck!

Sorry I have been wanting to use that since I read the pepperjam thread and missed out using it with everyone else lol!

That does make sense. LOL with the
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    In my opinion PAP gives increased SEO to the merchant site as well as the affiliate site. I have no prepared study, just have seen a program grow 100% a year since we employed PAP.

As Haiko mentioned you never should force your affiliates to use direct links unless you want to pay them for it. A few extra points of commission would encourage them. Also, speak to the network on the matter as well. Several of them say they have SEO friendly links.
    Hey Chuck, Pap is a program that would be hosted by us. Are there any comparable programs that offer hosting form the software company or is that something that PAP offers also? Pardon this !

PAP is open source software that you run on your server. Its php. You could looking My Affiliate Program but that is what we changed from to PAP. They increased pricing so they would cost as much as CJ with no real increase in services. That we several years ago and I have not followed then since their buy-out.

Any thoughts on IDev? It looks like they offer either solutions. As far as ease of use for affiliates? Direct Link?

Thanks all! We went with Idev6. The info here was really great.

Quote Originally Posted by PDXreader
    Thanks all! We went with Idev6. The info here was really great.
    Curious to know how this is going. We are in the exact same situation and looking at different affiliate software solutions. We currently have an outdated in house aff program and are looking at new solutions but don't want to lose the SEO value of our current in house program. Idev was one solution we are looking at. How's Idev working for you so far?

We are making our transition to PAP v4 but have too much traffic so are doing it one campaign at a time. We resolved all reporting issues and migrated our custom reports over.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread