Is My Flat Panel Monitor Dying?
    I have a Dell flat panel monitor and after it comes out of sleep mode it's brightness goes up and down for a while. It's only about 16 months old but seems to be dying. After I use it a while it seems to settle down and stay bright. Anybody seen this?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I have three Dell flat panel monitors and have never experienced this.

Could be the monitor or the graphics card?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

you gotta plug it into another computer to test if it's the monitor or the graphics card

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I have a Dell flat panel monitor and after it comes out of sleep mode it's brightness goes up and down for a while. It's only about 16 months old but seems to be dying. After I use it a while it seems to settle down and stay bright. Anybody seen this?
    Sounds like a cable problem actually. Does it have other types of connections you can use?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Sounds like a cable problem actually. Does it have other types of connections you can use?
    I have dual monitors and I guess I could swap the cables on the card to see if the trouble shifts to the other monitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by shimmy
    you gotta plug it into another computer to test if it's the monitor or the graphics card
    I'll try that after doing the above. The trouble is it's not doing it all the time. Mostly when it comes out of sleep mode.

The trouble is it's not doing it all the time. Mostly when it comes out of sleep mode.
    Well, come on, John. The solution is obvious -- quit sleeping so much! Be alert!
    Generate more fake news.

Swap the cables, swap the input sources, swap the power cords, and if that doesn't fix anything, take advantage of Dell's amazing 3 year warranty on their monitors. I know that if you bought the monitor directly from Dell (not sure about through BestBuy), they'll ship you a new monitor for free, and then you just ship back the old one. One of my Dell monitors went through 3 replacements in its 3 years, and there were no questions asked (dead/stuck pixels, broken button, and then bad LCD panel on the last refurb replacement).

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    take advantage of Dell's amazing 3 year warranty on their monitors.
    I'm not that lucky. Just checked with Dell and it had only a 1 year warranty the same as the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    One of my Dell monitors went through 3 replacements in its 3 years, and there were no questions asked (dead/stuck pixels, broken button, and then bad LCD panel on the last refurb replacement).
    Great warranty, but not a real good endorsement on the quality of their monitors.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Great warranty, but not a real good endorsement on the quality of their monitors.

-rematt
    Well, it's more of an anomaly than anything - I bought another identical monitor at the same time that had no problems, and I have 3 or 4 other Dell monitors that have also never had any issues over the years. The fact that Dell replaced my first monitor for 2 stuck pixels (not even dead pixels) is amazing - Most manufacturers require 4-6 dead pixels in order to do a replacement. The next time around, I broke the power button myself, but they replaced it with a refurb, anyway. That refurb happened to have a bad panel that had some "burn-in/persistent image" issues after a while, and the monitor that they replaced that with has been going strong for a year now with no issues.

Well, come on, John. The solution is obvious -- quit sleeping so much! Be alert!

Seems like the right answer to me, too.
    Hope ya get the problem fixed.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    To me it sounds like the backlight might be failing. But I would check the cables. Video cables do weird things when one fails. I had one show bluish tint when it was failing.

If it is the backlight there is probably not much you can do. It might cost more and be more trouble than a new monitor.

Actually, the backlight or inverter is usually cheap and easy to replace. I've had one go bad on a monitor and one on a laptop screen, and you can usually find replacement parts on eBay in the $30 to $50 range and it's usually a simple 5-15 minute repair. You just unscrew a few screws, unplug the inverter, and plug the new one in. It's one of the few parts that can fail on an LCD screen.

With both of mine that had inverters / backlights go out, the screen took a while to come on or just stayed dark. On the one that stayed dark, you could still barely see the image if you pointed a flashlight at the screen. The brightness going up and down sounds similar enough that it might be the same thing.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Actually, the backlight or inverter is usually cheap and easy to replace.
    This might turn out to be a real money saving tip. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    If you have a duel monitor than if the monitor dies you can work with the other one until you get a new one. Since it is mostly ok, i.e. after it warms up, I say ignore the problem until it does die assuming that through the above testing you have found out that it is the monitor not the cable connection or card.

Of course buying a monitor is a tax deduction so if you want to buy one early go for it, but I would personally wait until real death occurs what is the worse that can happen, you'll have to buy a new monitor and for the hours or days between the old monitors death and the new monitor, you'll have to limit urself to working on one monitor at a time.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread