Ok hey guyz, wanted to ask what you think works, heres a email i sent to jason one of the other members, instead of me writing same question again, ill post it here as it has my questions in it, also if you can provide URLS for sites (shoppingmalls) that are generating large sales, afiliate sites i mean, I would like to see some examples, anyway here was my email to him.

Hey there Jason, can you tell me based on owning, running xtrmeshopping.org does the large shopping mall concept work? like you list many catergories and many products each catergory isnt related, so basically the site is one big shopping mall, I was told that having sites based around one catergory works better, yet its expensive to keep buying domains for each catergory when i could place them all on page site/domain and then track which ones do best and then start sites from there, so if the sports section was making sales I would know ok, go create a domain.site based on sports.

any ideas, suggesstion, comments or recommendations? based on your sales from your site?

I'm guessing maybe a niche site is more receptive to impulse buys. So if you have a site about home improvement where the buyer came looking for cabinets, they may be likely to buy a fridge as well. This is just my guess since I'm not experienced enough to say. Basically I'm just going to try it all as long as I keep making more money. =)

If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying?
    If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?

ABW Ambassador
    AffiliateTracking --

From a merchant perspective, we enjoy niche categories.

Though we could sell TVs, VCRs, DVDs, and Books like 10,000 or even 50,000 other people do, we instead enjoy selling Candles and Cheese which few other people do.

If we sold large ticket items like consumer electronics and grabbed .2% of the market share, we'd make a TON more money than if we sold candles and had 20% of market share. However, getting 20% of market share with candles is easier in my mind because there is less competition, and therefore things change a little less often, it's easier to run a stable company.

The risk, in my mind is less. If we had .2% of consumer electronics we'd make 10X the money we are with candles, but it would be much harder to maintain that .2% and every inch would be harder fought. I choose to go where there are less people fighting for market share, and that's my personal preference.

I'm a niche advocate, and my bias leans towards that in almost all things. Our affiliates don't make zillions of dollars, but it's easier for them to help us make money because there is less competition.

For instance, if you sold Candles and Cheese like our affiliates do, and you had five, six or seven other niches you concentrated on, you'd make $6,000 - $10,000 in commissions. Or, you could choose one major category, and focus 100% of your time on one merchant and make $6,000 - $10,000 per month. But the advantage of many niches is that you are not vulnerable to huge market changes because if something changes, likely only one of your affiliate relationships is going to change.

For instance, if you bank everything on one merchant, and they go bankrupt or there is a lawsuit or they change their linking structure or terms and policies or something drastic, you could lose all of your hard work and all of your income. If you focus 100% of your time on something which is what it takes to be successful in some categories, you run the risks. However, if you go with six or seven smaller affiliate programs that are easier to divide your time with, you get the reward of allocating your risks among many companies.

So, a direct answer to you question would be to go for many smaller affiliates like ours instead of one large affiliate that is going to take the majority of your time.

How you do that is up to you. Large shopping directories could work, or you can target keywords in various search engines and go with that. But the general advice stays the same - don't put all your eggs in one basket! $1000 checks from six merchants is BETTER than one $6,000 check from one merchant.

Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com

ABW Ambassador
    It all works. I would read the ebooks you posted links too, all the answers are there.

I work in lounge pants

Affiliatetracking, Sent you a email, Trust is correct. you could do it both ways, anyway works really, Just gotta to some learning and investigation on different issues related to this biz. I do several different options... and as long as they convert, I say it's good....

I'm unemployed and love it!, Thanks Affiliate marketing for giving me that freedom!

Thanks for that info. I was though meaning, more along the lines of..

Say I buy a domain called shoppingbag.com

and on that site I have like 20 catergories evrything ranging from books, dvds, cds, flowers, perfumes, clothes, candles, music equipment, sports gear.

Now for each caterogyr I wouldnt be using the same merchant i.e. CJ or LINKSHARE i mean i would use differnet companies based on their commission,

now do those type of sites work well, basically someone arrives at the site and they have choice of everything you can think of.

Or is beter to just go buy 5 domains and have it more specific like (this arent real, well hopenot)
    www.candlemadness.com
    www.sportlife.com
    www.clothmall.com

and each site deals JUST with its catergory, like you dont sell dvds/books/clothes on the candle site, you just sell candles.

Its just I have seen alot of affiliates and super affiliate stick with creating a site/domain around ONE theme, i.e Dating or credit cards or satellite tv and they dont alter from that, if someone arrives they only can chooice from what that site is about, ie. dating, only dating merchants, nothing else

Do you think that works better, I mean I can see the pluses to it, but it means you have to keep buying domains for every niche you want to go into, instead with the mall mindset, you BUY 1 domain and throw everything on to that site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew@CandlePeople.com:
    AffiliateTracking --

From a merchant perspective, we enjoy niche categories.

Though we could sell TVs, VCRs, DVDs, and Books like 10,000 or even 50,000 other people do, we instead enjoy selling Candles and Cheese which few other people do.

If we sold large ticket items like consumer electronics and grabbed .2% of the market share, we'd make a TON more money than if we sold candles and had 20% of market share. However, getting 20% of market share with candles is easier in my mind because there is less competition, and therefore things change a little less often, it's easier to run a stable company.

The risk, in my mind is less. If we had .2% of consumer electronics we'd make 10X the money we are with candles, but it would be much harder to maintain that .2% and every inch would be harder fought. I choose to go where there are less people fighting for market share, and that's my personal preference.

I'm a niche advocate, and my bias leans towards that in almost all things. Our affiliates don't make zillions of dollars, but it's easier for them to help us make money because there is less competition.

For instance, if you sold Candles and Cheese like our affiliates do, and you had five, six or seven other niches you concentrated on, you'd make $6,000 - $10,000 in commissions. Or, you could choose one major category, and focus 100% of your time on one merchant and make $6,000 - $10,000 per month. But the advantage of many niches is that you are not vulnerable to huge market changes because if something changes, likely only one of your affiliate relationships is going to change.

For instance, if you bank everything on one merchant, and they go bankrupt or there is a lawsuit or they change their linking structure or terms and policies or something drastic, you could lose all of your hard work and all of your income. If you focus 100% of your time on something which is what it takes to be successful in some categories, you run the risks. However, if you go with six or seven smaller affiliate programs that are easier to divide your time with, you get the reward of allocating your risks among many companies.

So, a direct answer to you question would be to go for many smaller affiliates like ours instead of one large affiliate that is going to take the majority of your time.

How you do that is up to you. Large shopping directories could work, or you can target keywords in various search engines and go with that. But the general advice stays the same - don't put all your eggs in one basket! $1000 checks from six merchants is BETTER than one $6,000 check from one merchant.

Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I'm guessing maybe a niche site is more receptive to impulse buys. So if you have a site about home improvement where the buyer came looking for cabinets, they may be likely to buy a fridge as well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think a niche site would be one that sold refridgerators. A person arrived at the site because the searched for refridgerators, good chance they might buy one.

ABW Ambassador
    Mall sites, broken down into logical sections and with pages individually optimized for their keywords and phrases can make their way up through the search engine listings as well as any niche site.

With that said, I'll also say that I use niche sites myself. For the eight-ten bucks a year it costs for the domain, the expenses are minimal. I use a hosting plan that allows me to have up to 200 domains, with room to expand if necessary, so these costs are fixed and not much more than if I were hosting a single domain.

Personally I don't think twice about creating a seperate domain for certain niches that you know will perform. Examples may include posters,pharmacy, travel etc.

Seperate domains are great of you want to keyword stuff the domain name (which doesn't seem to work as well as it used to).

They are also great for maximizing the pages that get indexed. If you have 20,000 pages on a PR3 mall site you can pretty much forget about getting them all indexed. However if you split it up into separate domains you will get a lot more pages in the index.

As others have mentioned between reseller accounts and $8 domains it very cheap to create sites.

The nice thing about an established mall site is that you can add a category and Google seems to spider this quicker. As Leader said the malls are great for testing merchants/products. if they do well time to get a separate domain for it.

Before I joined ABW a year ago I thought mall sites went away around 1998. I was surprised to hear how many people had them. I since have built a few of my own.

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

ABW Ambassador
    Our top 10 affiliates have CIG domains.

Some Mall Sites are driving traffic and making sales.

Some "Mall Site" owners have told me that other merchants on their site are dictating what products/services they can promote.

fyi

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

Personally I always tell people I really do not think it matters. What I do think matters is that your able to drive targeted traffic to your site/pages. What works for me is to have tons of pages targeted very niche keywords that produce. Those pages can be on a mall site, niche site or what ever ....

Just as long as you can drive targeted traffic I don't think it really matters.

Cheers,

Brian Johnson (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    myrxforless.com | My Affiliate Programs

Both work.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Both methods work because it all depends on creating and meeting the customer's need at that time. The mall sites can create one stop shopping and brand recognition for their malls giving the customer one name to remember to get their products. Convenience is the game. Look at the portal sites they're doing this now.

Nich sites offer the same thing on a smaller scale. They operate more like superstores for their customers. Its all branding and trust. If they trust you, you'll see the money. If not, you'll be gone.

Luke

Bop Til You Drop, Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread