I'm wondering what you guys have found to be more effective: fewer links or a shallower depth? What I mean is a product can be 4 or 5 clicks into the site after following a couple sub categories, but the PR will faulter slightly. The pro to this is you have fewer links on each page, making things less cluttered and easier to absorb for Google. Now the other way to go is to make your site 3 levels deep at the most. The problem with this is you'll have thousands of links on the 2nd level. This maintains a more consistent PR for each product but Google may not like all the links on the 2nd level of depth. So I'm just curious to know what you've found to be better in terms of indexing time and search engine placement.

Thanks in Advance!

If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying?
    If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?

It depends on the website. If you have to many links on a page and not enough content the user may get bored and go elsewhere but if you make each page interesting and easy to navigate then they will keep clicking.

Its all relative.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

Another pro I forgot to mention to having a variable depth site is you can have more index pages indexed in Google. This allows you to capture more keyword phrases.

val, but what if your goal isn't to entertain the user? What if you just want them to come to you via Google and proceed right to the checkout process. In which case they won't even view your index pages or browse what else you have available. This just brings to mind whether people will only buy what they're looking for or will they buy something they aren't looking for? I'm assuming it's easier to make a sale when they're looking for the product. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A good balance is important. If you can keep each page to no more than two screens full of data, about 20-100 links, and a small (codewise) as possible, that's pretty optimal. Try to minimize the depth of your site within those constraints.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This just brings to mind whether people will only buy what they're looking for or will they buy something they aren't looking for? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found that people only seem to click a link to what they are looking for. But once they click it and get to the merchant site, they may buy quite a variety of things. Or they may add items to go with the thing they were orignally looking for.

Note that this is based on only a small sample of information, because CJ no longer tells what people bought. So I'm basically going on the info from only 3 merchants, that are at other networks. In other words, it's not scientific in the least, but so far that's how I've noticed things working out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So I'm just curious to know what you've found to be better in terms of indexing time and search engine placement.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A shallow site seems to work well for me. But some sites have so many pages that they require multiple indexes. I try to get most of the indexing done in the first or second directory so there's not too many clicks to do before getting to the point (the "point" being the detail page).

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread