Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    As an affiliate you learn A LOT as you go. There are a lot of things I wish I had known when I first started.

I am hoping if I share a few tips maybe everyone else will reciprocate so here it goes….

No one else is going to tell you exactly what they are doing to make money because if you use the same affiliate program and market the exact same way they do you will be cutting into their business. You have to be unique and create your own path to success.

Don’t re-invent the wheel. Study successful sites related to what you plan on doing and see what affiliate programs they use and how they lay their website out. After you look at a number of sites you start to form an idea of what will work for you.

Do invest the time in studying search engine optimization. There is a lot to this… I was shocked when I found out what criteria different search engines "grade" your site on. This can really affect your ranking if you don’t know what you are doing.

Learn all you can about Alexa. Many search engines are now managing search results based on your Alexa ranking.

Your turn!

Kimberly

ABW Ambassador
    "Learn all you can about Alexa. Many search engines are now managing search results based on your Alexa ranking."

What? I wouldn't spend 1 minute on Alexa. Learn Google, Learn INK, and Learn MSN Search when it comes out later this year. All the other litte ones that no one uses will pick you up.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sorry, but
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You have to be unique and create your own path to success.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> seems to go against..
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Study successful sites related to what you plan on doing and see what affiliate programs they use and how they lay their website out. After you look at a number of sites you start to form an idea of what will work for you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> a little bit.

As for Alexa, many also regard that as scumware and dismiss it like it's a pest.

Guys I am telling you what I learned and hoping you will share your ideas. Its ok is we differ in opinion.

Alexa is far from scumware. In May of 2002 Alexa released Alexa Web Search and Alexa Toolbar version 6.5. By partnering with Google, Alexa has built a new kind of search engine, one that helps users collaborate and find the best sites, with less effort. Alexa's crawl donations to the Internet Archive have now surpassed the 200 terabyte mark.

Word has it that recently a number of major searchengines have decided to start using the Alexa ranking as part of their ranking system for websites. If you dont like it thats fine but I like anything that is going to help my business succeed.

As for the two statements... they do not contradict eachother. What I said is no one is going to point-blank tell you how they are making the money. You can however study the competition and figure some things out for yourself. Thas has helped me... thats why I mentioned it.

Kimberly

[This message was edited by valenkim on January 16, 2004 at 03:04 AM.]

BTW, Alexa is owned by Amazon.com and is partners with Google. Where did you get the idea that it is scumware?

Sincerely,

Kimberly

ABW Ambassador
    "Word has it that recently a number of major searchengines have decided to start using the Alexa ranking as part of their ranking system for websites."

Nope not true, the Alexa ranking is the most easily manipulated ranking out there. The major SE's would never use this in there rankings. So you don't need to learn anything about Alexa for search engine rankings. Right now just learn Google and INK.

Well, since you pushed the topic... here are some stats I looked up for ya...

"How and Why We Crawl the Web

Alexa is continually crawling all publicly available web sites to create a series of snapshots of the Web. We use the data we collect to create features and services that are integrated parts of the free Alexa service:

Site Information: Traffic rankings, pictures of sites, links pointing to sites and more
    Related Links: Sites that are similar to the one you are currently viewing
    We are currently gathering in excess of one terabyte (1000 gigabytes) of information per day. Our crawling does not interfere with a server's normal activity. Alexa has been gathering this information since early 1996, and we have continually increased the amount of information that we gather."

More info for ya....

Microsoft has been capitalizing on Alexa's technology since 1998. Alexa's Related Information has been built into every Internet Explorer browser since Version 5.0, and has helped tens of millions of internet users navigate the net. Read more...

Google
    Google is the world leader in search engine technology and Alexa is proud to offer Google search to the users of the Alexa services. Alexa takes the Google search and enhances it with Alexa information, making the world's best search engine even better.

Netscape
    The cornerstone of Netscape's revolutionary Smart Browsing feature set is Alexa's What's Related. Since Netscape version 4.6, Alexa has been helping Navigator users make sense of the net with advanced Site Information and Related Links features.

Internet Archive
    The Internet Archive is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving our digital heritage. For the past six years Alexa has been crawling the net and donating copies of the crawl to the Internet Archive. In 2001, Alexa built the Wayback Machine for the Internet Archive which received the Yahoo Internet Life Site of the Year award. The Wayback Machine provides complete access to over 100 terabytes of archived data, making it the largest database in the world.

The Library of Congress
    The Library of Congress' mission is to make its resources available and useful to Congress and the American people and to sustain and preserve a universal collection of knowledge and creativity for future generations. Founded in 1800 to serve the reference needs of Congress, the Library of Congress is the worlds largest library, containing more than 113 million items in nearly every language and format.

Alexa has donated a copy of the Web to the Library of Congress in what is definitively the largest collection of digital materials ever received.

InfoSpace
    InfoSpace (NASDAQ: INSP) is a leading global provider of cross platform merchant and consumer infrastructure services. InfoSpace's comprehensive services allow its partners to offer their customers the ability to conduct commerce, access information, communicate and otherwise manage their lives at any time from any device. InfoSpace's technology platform supports partners across multiple platforms and devices over both narrowband and broadband networks.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

By the way... I totally agree about learning Google and INK. I lump that under learning about search engine optimization. Very important.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, one more time. For affiliates to get good with the search engines they don't need to study Alexa. They need to learn Google and INK, later in the year when MSN has their own search, learn that. Telling people to spend time with Alexa is leading newbies down the wrong path and wrong. Doesn't make sense.

"Many search engines are now managing search results based on your Alexa ranking. "

Not true, unless it's some SE no one has ever heard of and no one uses.

TrustNo1... You dont have to agree with me... its ok to have different opinions.

Time to stop beating this dead horse.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

ABW Ambassador
    So you're saying affiliates should spend time trying to get their Alexa rankings up because it will help them in the SERPS?

Ok, i'll contribute. Tips and tricks for affiliates:

Pay attention to affiliates who know what they're talking about and if they post something as a fact are able to back it up.

Just because we don’t agree doesn’t mean you have to try to cut me down. All I said is that I found it useful to learn about Alexa.

I don’t come here to be cut down and have someone attack the things I post. I come here to share ideas and read ideas of others. So far I have had a great time conversing with people. You are the first person who has been abrasive. Why you decided to attack me I don’t know.

Kimberly

ABW Ambassador
    The information you posted about Alexa CAME from Alexa..... right? BTW stating they belong to Amazon (which we all know) doesn't mean a thing... Amazon has loads of scum in their program.

Don't even get me started on the 'wayback machine'. Bleh!

ABW Ambassador
    You might take it as attacking but should look at it as helping. There is enough misinformation posted around here and you started this thread as tips and tricks for affiliates and then posted some misinformation saying

"Many search engines are now managing search results based on your Alexa ranking." and "Word has it that recently a number of major searchengines have decided to start using the Alexa ranking as part of their ranking system for websites." You're posting that as a fact and its wrong.

If anything, i'm helping someone new to affiliate marketing who reads your post, then goes out and spends time getting their Alexa ranking up thinking it's going to help them somehow in the SERPS. It's not.

Valenkim I completely agree with you, I like what you have said, its true only way is to study others, find out what works from their sites. Question you say you learn about INK and GOOGLE what sites do you recommend learning about INK from? can you suggest some of your favourite sites you learn frrom , thanks

I said that based on fact.. Thats why I started learning about Alexa in the first place. It was leaked about 2 weeks ago that they were going to start using Alexa as part of their ranking formula. There were several major SE's listed in the article.

I am trying to find the information for you. I will post it if/when I can locate it.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

[This message was edited by valenkim on January 16, 2004 at 04:41 AM.]

Affiliatetracking.. thanks for the compliment.

Google has a page you can read thats a good start... go to http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

If you go to google and search for Google SEO or Ink SEO you will find some really good articles. You may have to sift through some spam but there is a lot of good info out there.

Last, I would recommend going to download.com and searching for webpostion gold. It has a free 1 month trial, btw. This software will tell give you some good pointers. It analyzes your webpage and tells you what if something is wrong. For example, I had some text on a page that was the same color as the background. I didnt realize it was even there. Webposition Gold brought it to my attention because the SEs might flag you as a spam site for doing that.

Anyway, I make a living doing affiliate marketing. I manage to do ok but I am not an expert on SEO. I know a heck of a lot more now then when I started 7 months ago.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

ABW Ambassador
    Gotta read the search engine forum here. Optimizing for INK
    http://www.searchengineblog.com/colu...or_inktomi.htm
    And really i tend to see if you do good in INK, you'll do good in Google.

Kimberly i don't think you'll find that article. Theres not even "several major search engines". There's only a few major players and none of them would use Alexa. I see you posted in another thread

"I have managed to get into the top 10 for a number of my target keywords on all of the major search engines except Excite. For some reason Excite doesnt like me. LOL!"

Excite is not a major search engine, nobody uses them, you can be #1 on all your target keywords and you still won't get any traffic.

Webposition Gold, be careful with. I've never used it, if you do maybe for analyzing your own pages but don't use it to query Google, Google doesn't like it.

If you want to learn about affiliate marketing just read as much as you can in this forum, everything you need to know is here. If you want to learn about search engines read the search engine forum here and go to http://www.webmasterworld.com and read there.

I work in lounge pants

I'd say.. understand the value of Alexa and know what it can and can't do. I don't think that Alexa is useful for SEO, but it's good for getting a feel for traffic levels at potential merchants, advertisers and competitors.

But there's some inner truth about traffic bringing in more traffic. It's widely believed that Google remembers the clickthrough counts for particular search terms to increase relevancy. It's definitely true that a higher popularity site gets better results in AdWords. And I've also seen evidence that more popular sites get crawled by often by Googlebot.. based on clickthrough popularity rather than PageRank.

..but Alexa's not that important. Learning how to do SEO for Google and Inktomi is. Webmasterworld is a pretty good place to learn SEO, also look on ABW for the posts by TallTroll.

As for the apparent contradiction of "being unique" but not "reinventing the wheel" - it really is a combination of learning from those around you and then applying things in a way that works for you as an individual marketer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No one else is going to tell you exactly what they are doing to make money because if you use the same affiliate program and market the exact same way they do you will be cutting into their business.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darned right.

Well I see you've got some debate going here. I'll add a little list.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>You need to learn all the time. You wouldn't believe how many things you have to learn to succeed.
    <LI>Be prepared to fail over and over again until you find a technique that works.
    <LI>Keep your costs as low as possible to start off with. Don't lose your shirt while starting up.
    <LI>Get a domain and a proper hosting account. It's amazing how many newbies waste time on Geocities and similar hosts.
    <LI>Learn all you can about PageRank and what it can do for you.. and what it can't do for you too.
    <LI>Commission isn't commission until it's in the bank. You'll be shocked at how often it gets reversed before you get paid.
    <LI>Successful affiliate markets prefer to spend their time selling goods to consumers. People who sell "affiliate marketing" books and ebooks are generally not successful affiliate marketers.[/list]

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Oh yeah I forget this one:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Google giveth, and Google taketh away.[/list]

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

LOL! Dynamoo you are cracking me up... and you are so right.

As for major search engines.. you are right in that Google and INK are the biggest by far. I still consider some of the others ones important but most people use SEs that are part of the Google or INK networks. Both like my site, thank god. I still get mad when I cant find my site on Excite even though they have a small market share.

Kimberly

I cant find the artciel but I am still looking. I found another article about ES:

In fact, in an effort to make the results even more relevant, ExactSeek.com will be in flux for the next week or two as they work to determine how much weight to give Alexa traffic data in ranking search results.

The beauty of ExactSeek.com is that the harder you work toward increasing traffic to your Web site by adding new, relevant content, paying for SEO, advertising in various publications, investing in a PPC campaign, etc., the better your rankings will be in ExactSeek.com.

Can User Popularity be Manipulated?

I think a better question would be, what search engine results can't be manipulated? The key is to consider relevancy and valuable content, which is something that ExactSeek.com has wisely chosen to focus on.

It's true that not everyone uses the Alexa toolbar. However, it does provide results based on an excellent sampling of users on the Web. Plus, user popularity will be more difficult to manipulate than other factors, because it is certainly more difficult to manipulate the surfing public than it is to manipulate the search engines.

Alexa is now partners with Microsoft and AOL. However, I cant find any details on how they are going to use it or when they plan to start using it.

Now its bugging me. I wish I could find the original article. I will keep looking for info.

Anyway, I am going to bed. Good night everyone!

Kimberly

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Alexa has donated a copy of the Web to the Library of Congress<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I blocked Alexa'a Wayback spider from my sites when I read their spyware TOS and later learned they were selling the indexes to businesses.

I suppose I should send the LOC a copy of my site so they have the complete "copy of the Web."

By the way, their stats (guesses) for my sites are laughingly inaccurate.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I blocked Alexa'a Wayback spider from my sites when I read their spyware TOS and later learned they were selling the indexes to businesses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    So did I... they have no right to use my websites, new or old. (SCUM)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By the way, their stats (guesses) for my sites are laughingly inaccurate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Same here. When I can see how wrong they are with my sites, what would prompt me to take ANY of them seriously?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast