Anybody out there using a projector instead of a big screen tv, what are the pro's and cons. Any help greatly appreciated.

Projectors absolutely rock, but you need good ambient light control. It's easy to wash out the picture with ambient light on FP.

Pro's and Con's depend on what technology you're talking about:

Projection: CRT, LCD, DLP, LCOS/DILA
    Big Screen: CRT, LCD RPTV, DLP RPTV, LCOS RPTV

If you decide to go FP though, email me. Learn from all of my mistakes.

I just did a bunch of research trying to decide what to get - check out avsforum.com if you haven't already. I ended up getting a traditional CRT based rear projection TV. Each technology has pros and cons so do your research. I ended up buying from Circuit City after shopping all the local electronics stores - they were the only ones that would negotiate up front. We asked a sales manager for his best price and he knocked 10% off just for asking. Now I'm sure I could have played everyone against each other and saved a bit more but I liked how easy it was to deal with CC. Anyway, end result is I bought a Hitachi 65s500 for $2600 and had it delivered the same day.

-B

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr.B:
    Anyway, end result is I bought a Hitachi 65s500 for $2600 and had it delivered the same day.

-B<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice choice! Hitachi's S500 series is great. Excellent tubes, and they calibrate very well.

I've redone my room a few times. This is what I started with (very small 80" 4:3 fixed wall screen):

Then moved to a little bigger 100" 16:9 electric screen with a 12v trigger (automatically lowers when electronics turn on, automatically raises when off):

Have gone through 9-10 projectors in the last 2-3 years or so, with LCD, DLP, and now D-ILA. Have yet to try CRT through, because I don't have the room for it.

Front projectors are FANTASTIC if you are looking to get a really BIG screen.

However, if you are considering something less than 60" - I'd go rear projection. I like the DLPs and LCDs best.

I run a local electronics/appliance store and I can tell you to check out your Mom and Pop retailer. If they are still in business competing with the superstores - they probably belong to a buying group and gets pricing similar to the "big guys".

When buying an expensive piece of equipment as this – you will do well to have the piece of mind of having small store service if you have any problems.

Have fun!

Thanks guys, thats some sweet system. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

JJJay: How's your ambient light control? What's your room size? What's your viewing distance? What's your budget?

Gotapex, thanks for your reply, the room is still in the planning stage but it will be 4 meters x 6 meters, the viewing distance would be 4-5 meters and there is no budget on the the system, I've been waiting for this room for years Concerning ambient light control, I'm not too familiar with that term but I will be researching prior to building.

turn the TV off and get to WORK!

ABW Ambassador
    Best bang for the buck: get a 27 inch tv, and sit REALLY close to it. It looks huge, like a movie screen!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJJay:
    Gotapex, thanks for your reply, the room is still in the planning stage but it will be 4 meters x 6 meters, the viewing distance would be 4-5 meters and there is no budget on the the system, I've been waiting for this room for years Concerning ambient light control, I'm not too familiar with that term but I will be researching prior to building.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a pretty good sized room then, and your viewing distance is quite far. 13 to 16.4 feet (sorry, I have a hard time thinking in metric terms). You're not leaving a whole lot of space behind your seating area for speakers. Are you going 5.1 or 7.1?

Let's start by talking about ideals.

THX & Dolby spent millions figuring out what screen size would give the best, most immersive big screen experience to the most people. They ended up with pretty similar numbers. This is what they came up with:

THX:
    Optimum: 36 degree viewing angle
    Minimum: 26 degree viewing angle

SMPTE EG-18-1994 (Dolby):
    Minimum: 30 degree viewing angle

You can find a convenient calculator here:

THX & SMPTE Viewing Distance Calculator

What this means is if your viewing distance is 13 feet (4 meters), and you want a 16:9 screen:

THX:
    Optimum: 116.3" diagonal

Minimum: 95.9" diagonal

At 16.4 feet (5 meters):

THX:
    Optimum: 146.7" diagonal

Minimum: 121" diagonal

Now, this being said, your own person preference will dictate whether you tend to like smaller screens or bigger screens. Also, the lower the quality of your source material, the smaller a screen you'll tend to prefer. With HDTV quality material, you can take a much bigger screen (or closer viewing distance, given a fixed screen size). Only you can determine this, since much of this is personal preference.

Ambient light is light getting into the room, especially near the screen. This means open windows, lamps that throw light everywhere, etc. Ideally, for front projection, no light except for the light coming from the projector hits your screen. Absence of light on the screen defines "black". Thus, if stray sunlight from your window hits the screen, your "black" will become much lighter, washing out the picture.

All in all though, with such a long viewing distance you'll probably prefer front projection.

ABW Ambassador
    I bought a projection TV 7 years ago for $2000.
    It's broke down twice already which cost me
    another $700. Yesterday it just broke down
    again. I don't think I'm going to fix it this
    time, probably go back to a 27" or 32" tv.
    I figure I've spent $400 a year over the last
    7 years, totaling up the cost of the tv and the
    repairs. I have better things to spend my money
    on.

We have a rear projection Sony Vega 150cm and
    Sony Home theater set-up and it's fantastic.

Watching DVD's, music even the ad's on TV look good and the sound is fantastic

Full price was $12k but with discounts ended up getting it for $7K.

I'm a movie and music freak so it's great investment in quality entertainment and fun.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread