Backup Hosting??
    Currently my sites (on one server) have not been available for 3 hours now the hosting company are having problem this is not the norm and they have great support so I sure they are working on it.

My question is can I buy a service that will monitor my sites that are located on a shared server at hosting company XYZ and if the sites becomes unableable that it directs my users to another shared server with another hosting company and my visitors will be directed to that version of my website?? And when the first server comes available my visitors will go back to my main hosting company???

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    There are, we have such a backup for our in-house server, but it costs a few hundred a month. However for the site hosting I would suggest going with a company like Rackspace which NEVER goes down and their service is unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPlanetTravel
    There are, we have such a backup for our in-house server, but it costs a few hundred a month. However for the site hosting I would suggest going with a company like Rackspace which NEVER goes down and their service is unbeatable.
    Never???

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Never???
    Been with them for 5 years - so far NEVER. They have multiple locations around world. Your server is backed-up to these other locations. So even in the event that one facility "blows up", the site stays online.

I'm with HostGator and my sites have NEVER gone down either. I have a re-seller server with them. I used to have shared hosting with them and my sites never went down with that either.

With the speed of DNS updates, it may make sense to have a completely different hosting company and have your sites setup on it. If company A goes down for long, switch DNS, use company B and dump company A. DNS used to take weeks to update, now it's a matter of hours. It all depends on how much money your sites make and if the backup is justified. With $5 or $10 hosting, this sure seems cost effective for nearly everyone.

I've been with a lot of crappy hosting companies but today our site is on one host. If they become undependable I can setup my site anywhere in less than an hour. Multiple databases could take longer but I hope you're backing those up, somewhere else, too.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

NEVER. ABW has had 99.999% up time on our three dedicated boxes.

I'd suggest going with the http://www.mosso.com/cloud.jsp starts at only $100 a mo.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thank Greg that just what I did today was signup to two different hosting companies, one for my main site which is now running on that new "Higher End Host" who I used a few years ago will stay their for good.

The second company is a ok host which allows me to dump sites on their quite quickly and then change DNS which I was on my third site when my main hosting company came back online (8 hours after they crashed, their array controler card failed) I have now moved those sites back to my main hosting company. Like I say they have great support and hardware failure do happen.

What I learned today is that I needed a backup plan just incase something like this happens, I spent 4 hours today just looking for a hosting compainies that would work for me. I do have three backup copies of all of my sites.

Thanks for all of the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    NEVER. ABW has had 99.999% up time on our three dedicated boxes.

I'd suggest going with the http://www.mosso.com/cloud.jsp starts at only $100 a mo.
    Thanks Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I'm with HostGator and my sites have NEVER gone down either. I have a re-seller server with them. I used to have shared hosting with them and my sites never went down with that either.
    I have been with HostGator for 2 years and went down once that I know of for only an hour and not sure if it was just a coincident but I lost my first page ranking for my main key word that lost me 2400 a month... That lasted for 4 months before I got back and now I'm on page two... Could be a coincident but will never know.
    :kiss:

Affiliate Network Rep
    What you're asking for is available here:
    http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/price/dns.html

It's $60/year

Called "Failover DNS"

But again, if you're using databases and what not, this could get complicated
    Nick Nelson | nick at aff.biz | Skype: snickn | Phone: 312.282.4515
    Aff.biz Coming Soon - Midphase.com, ANHosting.com, US2.net & UK2.net
    Join now!
    We're serious about Affiliates! - Free Hosting for all Affiliates, ask me how.

Can i use ns1.ABC.com ns2.ABC.com for 1st hosting company...
    and ns3.XYZ.com ns4.XYZ.com for other hosting company?

if my ABC hosting company is down....
    will my site will automatically on using ns3 & ns4....?

Please suggest.

Fault Recovery Near 100% Uptime
    I've heard good results from cloud companies like Mosso and GoGrid. One low costs solution that I'm using for my blogs is balancing sites across multiple hosting providers with a DNS fail over service.

I blogged about it (B2B Website Profits Blog)

It's not load balanced, so you'll only be able to handle the maximum traffic for a dedicated server. However, you can get started with several shared or virtual hosting accounts.

Best,

Justin
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; April 27th, 2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Link
    [i]Always interested in great B2B affiliate programs that serve Sales and Marketing professionals. Private message if you have something.[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by hittjw
    I've heard good results from cloud companies like Mosso and GoGrid. One low costs solution that I'm using for my blogs is balancing sites across multiple hosting providers with a DNS fail over service.

I blogged about it in http://b2bwebsiteprofits.com/2008/12...on_for.php]Low Cost Load Distribution for Static Content. (B2B Website Profits Blog)

It's not load balanced, so you'll only be able to handle the maximum traffic for a dedicated server. However, you can get started with several shared or virtual hosting accounts.

Best,

Justin
    Link to an affiliate site?

Is this spam???

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPlanetTravel
    Been with them for 5 years - so far NEVER. They have multiple locations around world. Your server is backed-up to these other locations. So even in the event that one facility "blows up", the site stays online.
    Hey, data center explosions happen. Their was an explosion at The Planet in Houston about a year about. Some of my co-workers went down there to check things out. You'd think aliens landed their or something the way the police and such had blocked off the area.

Burger Boy,
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Link to an affiliate site?
    Is this spam???
    What. It's a link to my blog, I wrote an article about distributing static content, it answers the original question. The jist is to sync content across multiple VPS accounts, then use a DNS failover service.

Best,

Justin
    [i]Always interested in great B2B affiliate programs that serve Sales and Marketing professionals. Private message if you have something.[/i]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread