Thinking aloud - how wording effects conversion
    It's the oddest thing.. I have a page that converts well. Credit goes to the merchant, but I've also done a good job of convincing 'on the fence' buyers. Steady sales for months now.

The wording used to promote the store is my own & periodically refreshed, but I've tried not to upset the apple cart (if it ain't broke don't fix it!).

Last week the merchant launched a new promotion, so I updated the page & decided to give it a better spin - used a red font for the announcement, and thought I did a pretty good sales pitch (it was a terrific promotion).

Even with the promotion, sales dropped off... I assumed it was just the effects of the economy.

But when the promotion ended 2 days ago, and I put the old wording/layout back in place.. sales came back!

I guess I'm just surprised at the direct correlation... I'm now trying to figure out what makes the current layout/wording so effective!

Just wanted to throw this out for general discussion - while many things can effect conversion, has anyone noticed immediate results with new wording?

On top of the wording, was the "click through spot" exactly in the same location for both versions?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Nope.. I mixed it up a bit.

Click-through to the merchant already exists in a few spots on the page, which remained unchanged (new products, etc)..

But for this particular paragraph - text was reworded, as well as the "click here" spots within that block of text.

The smallest changes can make such a huge difference due to eyeflow, psychology, call to action placement, etc...

I once found a slightly higher conversion rate by putting an extra line break in one section of my site. I could change it back and forth and see the change in conversion rate.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    The smallest changes can effect conversion. A word, color,placement etc. That is why sites should be continually tested (at least A/B tested) and tweaked. To find the specific "action" that increases/decreases conversion test only one element at a time.

.. you know, I never fully realized this until now, it's a terrific learning experience! It's so easy to "not" see your own pages after a while...
    I once found a slightly higher conversion rate by putting an extra line break in one section of my site
    I saw this on my page too. My new project is to replicate this specific layout on all other merchant pages!

Mentioning the line break reminded me of a split test I did in an email campaign earlier this year.

I added an extra line before an important link in the email to the B group, and that link got clicked 47% more times than the A group.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPlanetTravel
    The smallest changes can effect conversion. A word, color,placement etc. That is why sites should be continually tested (at least A/B tested) and tweaked. To find the specific "action" that increases/decreases conversion test only one element at a time.

Sure Right!

Little changes in the look and feel of my Google Adsense links quadrupled my sales instantly!

That made me a believer in finding the right "look and feel" that sells.

widgets

vs.

beautiful blue widgets sort of thing.

Affiliate Manager
    It would be interesting to know the specifics of the changes between the two pages, e.g. whether the click-through link was raised, lowered, put near elements which may have overshadowed it, etc.

As for A/B testing, how do you folks handle the mechanics of that?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread