Hi to Anyone who is listening,

I'd love your feedback on the pros and cons of joining CJ, LinkShare to build my affiliate program. I have been managing an affiliate program for about 9 months now and we currently have our own in-house program. Our sales have steadily increased but we haven't attracted a lot of big affiliates. Do you recommend joining one of these programs. Do affiliates prefer to join these programs rather than joining individual merchants programs. Thanks for listening, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kerri
    ChoiceShirts
    http://www.ChoiceShirts.com
    "T-Shirts by the Thousands"

I personally prefer working with independent in-house programs. They seem to perform very well for me (if they are parasite free and have no leaks) and I like dealing directly with them rather than a 'middle man'

Also, as I just told someone earlier today, I personally think it is getting harder to deal with some of the companies like cj, etc.

My results have been good with them but having a little more access to merchants and a better level of support is a big plus.

As for attracting big affiliates, give us a chance

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    --Mark Twain

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    With 10,000 lurkers and many top affiliates posting at ABW this should be your first choice for recruiting. many here are looking for an honest, quick paying indy program with a viable niche' product. Yours makes for great site content pages if you learn the ropes here on how to make creatives leading to high conversion landing pages.
    Gotta love this one for Ms. B.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChoiceMgr:
    Our sales have steadily increased but we haven't attracted a lot of big affiliates. Do you recommend joining one of these programs. Kerri, ChoiceShirts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kerri,

Welcome to our family....

Shoot me an email or call me and I will show you a proven blueprint for success...

I could do very well with a clothing merchant

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services
    P: (305)412-3512 | C: (305)785-4524 | E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor | ICQ: 175010 | MSN: AffiliateDoctor
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com - Sign up for my newsletter, earn money!

Hi Swampy_Webber,
    Thanks for your input. One follow up question, if you don't mind? Does the coding (links) become an issue when dealing with different systems for in-house programs. I was just wondering if many affiliates prefer the big networks to simplify this process?

Kerri
    ChoiceShirts

Nice site!

With Norton and other ad blocking software, I'd rather go inhouse.

Besides, if you have a datafeed I could care less about coding links because you'd be provding that for me, right?

Welcome!

If you have a datafeed then you'll have tons of affiliates. A datafeed puts you at the top of most of our "to do lists".

Good Luck

Nice shirts, where are the t-shirts made, the actual t-shirt not the print.

Consolidated payment is my main reason to join a Network! I have a few small cheque from In House and some Networks spreading nowhere in my house, not worth a penny.

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Last I heard you guys were working on a feed. Any news on that?

Also, it said awhile ago that checks had been sent but I haven't seen mine. Were they indeed sent?

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

ABW Ambassador
    If you join a network, I'd rather you join shareasale.

They are anti parasite and the preferred network of affiliates who hate parasites.

Their only weakness (in my opinion) - not enough merchants.

and DO include product links.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

The reason that people used networks in the first place was that a lot of merchants were cheating and skimming off commissions, or so it was believed. And, some merchants never made enough sales for us to be paid at all. With consolidated checks and third party tracking, we were assured payment for everything we sold what-so-ever. We needed a "trusted third party" to keep everything on the up and up.

Now, networks have turned on us and let lose a gang of thieves on our sites to steal our hard earned money. And, they have allowed merchants to adjust our sales, at leisure, with unverified and unverifiable reversals coming even months after they were supposed to be locked. Merchants were supposed to maintain an escrow to ensure payment. Now, we may believe that we are making money only to find payment has been extended because the escrow account has been allowed to run dry. Sometimes, the merchant quits or moves to a new network and we are totally stiffed for our commissions.

The networks have failed us and are no longer "trusted third parties". In fact, there is a lot of mistrust of networks.

One network has risen above all this and never had their integrity questioned. That is SAS. There may be other networks that have also not been tainted by greed, but I do not know of them.

So, I would go with SAS. You will have less exposure to mom and pop affiliates but all of the big affiliates, that you are aiming for, know of SAS. Since your program is unknown, with SAS consolidated checks, affiliates are more likely to try you, knowing that they will be paid for all sales right from the beginning.
    You will get exposure to the more experienced affiliates. Yes, at a place like CJ you might have thousands sign up, but are they really going to sale for you or just slap a worthless banner on their sites? There are fewer merchants at SAS so you won't get lost in the shuffle as easily. When a search is done for a clothing merchant, you will stand out.

Additionally, if you want to reach people serious about this business, maintain a daily presence here and develop relationships with those most able to promote your interests.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Kerri,

Welcome! I'm another affilaite manager. I'm up in Wayne NJ, outside of NYC.

I've run a in house program, a 2 beFree programs, and a CJ program. You can email me and I'd by happy to chat with you about them from an AM perspective.

By the way, if you make it up here I'd we happy to have a cup of coffee and chat with you in person.

There are strengths and weaknesses to both a network and an inhouse program. I can make a strong arguement for both.

As a note, if you have developement time and would like to keep your program in house, take a look at the tools that the allposters program made.

While Alexa is not that accurate, the reason that allposters is 366 on Alexa is there affilaite program IMHO.

Allposters is a good model for you because they have Mega Skus, so check them out.

Anyway, I'm happy to help. Feel free to get in touch.

Cheers,

Beth

Exposure is one of the main advantages to the networks. You have to really work hard on recruiting if you're not in a network. Sometimes a two-tier program helps in that regard, encouraging your affiliates market you to other affiliates.

You can be successful as an independent, but it'll take a lot more work and expertise.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    [thanks SSanf and womanht for the kind words]

Kerri,

(SAS stands for ShareASale ) ... If you find yourself looking at Shareasale.com as an option - I am here at ABW and via email if you have any questions that I can answer for you.

You'll find a lot of good advice and people willing to help here at ABW... as well as people who will support your program. So.. welcome, and good luck with it as well!

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

Materials are from USA and assembled overseas. This is true for virtually all USA t-shirt makers these days including Anvil, Hane, Fruit of Loom, etc.

Kerri
    ChoiceShirts

ABW Ambassador
    Omg, THIS is the proworldinc t-shirt site.

In house vs. network ?

either
    consolidated check - moneybooker - paypal can help

http://8n.nu

I want to thank everyone for their posts. Your comments and suggestions have been very helpful and have given me a clearer picture on this issue. It has definitely helped me figure out my next step in this whole process. Hopefully I'll see you around so I can offer some candid advice for you as well.

Kerri
    ChoiceShirts

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Kerry:

Could you tell me how we access the datafeed? Try as I might I couldn't find it

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread