Ad serving software
    Forgive me if this is asked elsewhere - I really did look around before posting.

I have a few small sites up and am beginning to experiment with different affiliate and advertising programs. Some of my sites are in raw HTML, others PHP, some Drupal.

My immediate hurdle is trying to figure out how to rotate ads that I get from Commission Junction. I had been using Adsense, which is great - just stick in the Javascript and it rotates whatever it wants.

But I am starting to notice that at least half of the Google ads are way off target for my audience. So I wanted to mess around with affiliate programs, starting with CJ.

Do you guys use an ad serving platform like DART or OpenAds or something to rotate different advertising creative into ad slots? Or change it manually?

It's hard for me to believe that having a visitor look at the same ad in the same slot on every visit on every page of my site is optimal. I know DART, while too expensive for me right now, will typically "frequency cap" ads.

I use the newer model of OpenAds - OpenX. Its working fine for me other than being at tad complicated. OpenX also had a free hosted version of their ad server, I stopped using it because the interface seemed to be much slower than when I hosted it myself.

Thanks for the reply.

Was looking at OpenX, esp. the hosted version. Really prefer to minimize the stuff I host since I'm not really that technically proficient and I generally prefer to reduce moving parts.

But if it's slow, that's not acceptable - you sure don't want ads to be the LAST thing to load on a page!

I'm sure that the ad hosting is not slow. A t the time I tested it the management interface was slow, and I had my own install so I did not see an advantage to use there hosted version.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    OpenX is good - if you have Fantastico installed on your server / cPanel you can use their older version called phpAdsNew - less complicated. Use the Frames method of serving and not java as the users browsers can slow delivery down.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread