Confiker Virus
    It's believed that the Confiker virus has already has spread to around 9MM computers. Install / update your anti-virus software to block the known update domains at your firewall:

btddc.com

d34ft.com

23drf.com

cscs7.com

mgaazz.com

hhgg3.com

trafficconverter.biz
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Just got an email from an AV co ...

Conficker is one of the worst viruses in history and has infected over 15 million PCs

Conficker is set to unleash on April 1st.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Don't panic - http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001636.html - 1st April is when the virus starts to look for updates. There's no proof that anything at all will happen, and because only about 1% of infected machines will get an update every day then it will be a while before it is a problem. Probably.

The very best thing to do is check that your anti-virus software is up-to-date and that it is WORKING PROPERLY!

There are lots of good products to choose from, to mention a few: Avira, AVG, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Trend and Avast are all very good at detecting nasties. Even old favorites like Norton and McAfee will protect you against this.

If you pay for just ONE piece of software this year, make sure that it's a good security program. (I am assuming that if you don't pay for software, that you are using open source!)
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Y2K all over again
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager
    The TV show "60 Minutes" dedicated an entire segment to it last night. Google and Symantec were quite concerned and are taking it very seriously. While working on the story, CBS learned that their entire network of computers was infected. They said it took their entire tech staff a week working 24 hours a day to get rid of it.

While most of us who live and work in this online world keep our anti-virus systems and firewalls up-to-date, many others do not. For example, you would think that CEOs and CFOs would understand parasiteware by now, but many do not have a clue. A sleeper cell worm may never do anything, but it is much better to be safe than sorry.

Decades ago an article of mine was published in an international trade journal. It was entitled "Computer Crimes and Other Tragedies." The last line was "When it comes to computers, an ounce of prevention is worth far more than a pound of cure."
    Jack Kotowski Certified Affiliate Manager OPM/Agency - program details: ABestWeb Forum of JackMarketing
    Managing affiliate programs since 1997 | Google Profile - JackMarketing
    Built Zappos.com to #1!! JackMarketing on Twitter and other social media networks Inquiries: www.JackMarketing.com

Quote Originally Posted by JackMarketing
    The TV show "60 Minutes" dedicated an entire segment to it last night. Google and Symantec were quite concerned and are taking it very seriously. While working on the story, CBS learned that their entire network of computers was infected. They said it took their entire tech staff a week working 24 hours a day to get rid of it.
    Forgive me, but I actually didn't believe that an organisation like CBS could be so stupid, so I checked.. and they are.

While most of us who live and work in this online world keep our anti-virus systems and firewalls up-to-date, many others do not. For example, you would think that CEOs and CFOs would understand parasiteware by now, but many do not have a clue. A sleeper cell worm may never do anything, but it is much better to be safe than sorry.
    Indeed. Recent stories of Conficker infections (and similar viruses) always seem to go back to the CEO / CFO / CIO making really poor decisions when it comes to security. For example,IT management might decide that patching is not necessary because of the inconvenience to users (example here).

Decades ago an article of mine was published in an international trade journal. It was entitled "Computer Crimes and Other Tragedies." The last line was "When it comes to computers, an ounce of prevention is worth far more than a pound of cure."
    Damned right. Cleaning up a modern virus can be a complete nightmare. It's like cancer - unless you remove every single bad component, the chances are that it can come back. It's difficult enough to do for IT professionals, most people won't have the expertise to do it. Often the best approach is to completely reformat and reinstall.. and nobody likes doing that.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Panda Security recently released a piece on Confiker. Check it out here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=117872
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

I just watched that CBS news report.. what a joke. Near the end they pictured some "Russian hackers", but it was actually a five-year-old photo of some Finnish schoolkids mucking about.

It does seem that about once a year the media like to run a "computer virus" story which they get completely wrong.

There was one useful tip on the CBS report, it's not enough just to have anti-virus software.. you need to make sure that it is fully up-to-date by checking when it last pulled down some signatures. The virus signatures should never be more than a couple of days old.

My anti-virus options are set to update automatically once a day. In addition I've set the task scheduler (windows/vista) for updates 3 additional times every day.

Three business associates are constantly fighting some sort of virus/malware infection. As I am on IM with them daily my concern level is high.. hence the perceived paranoia
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

I've just read about that virus yesterday and that virus is very scary It can evolved today if you have one in your Computer! but thanks to the expert for making a early solution to this problem.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    I have been so insanely busy setting up my new puter I had not heard of this until a friend said something this morning about it. First thing that ran through my mind was to check ABW because if it was real or a hoax I knew Haiko would know. Thanks for all the info!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Well AVG did a 33mb update today, so let's hope that helps!

Affiliate Manager
    I checked News.com today to get the latest on Conficker now that it's active:

Countdown to Conficker--a bust so far
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-102...orsPicksArea.0
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    a bust so far
    surprise, surprise (hope I don't regret that! )

It does seem that about once a year the media like to run a "computer virus" story which they get completely wrong.
    Once a year?
    Seems to me it's about every two months.

I notice these news items because I have a site about PC security.
    When these threats become news I always think I should make some new pages or blog posts about the matter.

Usually I don't get around to making those posts in reaction to the the latest threat.

Because, in reality, tried-and-true common sense practices seem to hold up as the effective security solution against these threats.
    I.e. people should settle in with their preferred brand of quality security software, get their regular OS updates, use strong passwords (i.e. not Name-Of-Dog), be sensible about the sites they visit and what they download.

Maybe Norton and McAfee needed a bailout. LOL

Seriously tho, there is good from this, that being the unknowing end users who, because of this alert, installed some sort of an AV program, or updated their versions ... kinda like changing the batteries on their smoke detectors ... gotta do it.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy_hermit
    Once a year?
    Seems to me it's about every two months.
    Most curious to me is that whenever the press runs a story about a virus, they usually refer to it as a "computer virus" even when discussing ones like Conficker which use exploits unique to Microsoft OSes and have no effect on operating systems from any other vendor.

So for clarity they should be using "Windows virus", but maybe being helpfully specific is a bit much to ask of a lay journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by hairy_hermit
    I notice these news items because I have a site about PC security.
    Please PM me the link when you have a chance. I like to stay up on this sort of stuff. Thanks.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Affiliate Manager GlobalGolf-Amanda's Avatar
    There is a nifty chart here that will tell you whether you have Conficker or not: http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org...feyechart.html
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Amanda Moralis
    GlobalGolf.com | GolfShoesOnly.com | TaylorMadeGolfPreOwned.com
    [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2132449]Join our affiliate program![/URL] | [URL=http://globalgolfaff.blogspot.com/]GlobalGolf & GSO Affiliate Blog[/URL] | [URL=http://feeds.feedburner.com/ggaffs/]Coupon Feed[/URL]

awwwh the bottom little fellas are cute little guys Specially the little devil with his green sneakies lol

they should be using "Windows virus",
    Good point.

Truth is, sometimes I feel like a hypocrite. I have a site about PC security, but - given that I'm a Linux user - I don't really, personally, worry one bit about most of the malware and virus issues I talk about on the site.

Can't PM you, I'm still new here.

If you want to keep up with (Windows) security news you could subscribe to a feed from VirusBulletin.com. And there are others. So many others. (A lot of the good security vendors have a news feed.)

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread