Registrar Concern
    I currently use a small registrar for registering and renewing my domains. I use to host my sites with them but moved all my sites to different company in 2004.

I just bought a domain yesterday and paid $12.95. I also pay $12.95 to renew domains. I also noticed that nothing ever changes on their site. They do not even have a blog or support forum. Not the I have ever really had a problem, it just made me wonder about stability of the company and what would happen if I ever had a problem.

If my registrar or any registrar were to suddenly go out of business how does one renew or transfer service of a domain?

I looked at becoming a registrar myself, but the up front $2500 non-refundable fee is more than I am willing to spend at this point.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Doug

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    You can buy domains right here on ABW for less.

http://www.abestweb.com/domains/
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    Why are you paying $12.95 for a domain anyway? Abestweb offers domains for less than $9
    If you are worried about your registrar, maybe it is time to switch

If a registrar is de-accredited by ICANN (for example, if it has ceased trading) then the domains are transferred to another ICANN registrar (see this PDF).

I can think of only two occasions when this has happened. One was with RegisterFly (more here) where the company collapsed before ICANN could begin the process. Some owners did lose their domains, and there are particular problems where the domains were "anonymised" because the original ownership information is missing. In that case GoDaddy bought the domain holdings from RegisterFly in a private arrangment.

A more recent case is Estdomains which was de-accredited due to violating ICANN's policies (more here). These domains were transferred to Directi without any significant problems.. although since most of Estdomains customers seemed to be organised criminals, that's a shame.

The bottom line seems to be this - in theory your domains should be safe, but in practice it can be difficult if the registrar goes titsup or decides not to cooperate.

However, registrar de-accreditation is very rare. An ICANN reported filed in August 2008 (before Estdomains) lists just 13 occassions since 2003 when this has happened. If you ignore the 2 million Registerfly domains impacted, then just a few thousand domains (since 2005) have been been impacted.

To be honest, I think domain registration is a bit of a cash cow. One of my registrars has had the same front page since at least 2001, but really does it matter?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    I had domains at Registerfly - it was a NIGHTMARE situation. Loss money - lost domains and spent countless hours trying to "rescue" others. Use Enom currently, but will check out ABW

Man I never knew ABW was involved with hosting and domain registration. Glad I asked the question. Thanks for the feedback.
    Thanks,
    Doug

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread