Hi all,

I know that some affiliate site owners can bring in thousands per month, but how much do you pay for advertising your affiliate site per month?

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    $0

**Update** No Parasiteware T-Shirt yet but I DID get some nice postcards from Sandra!

My budget is 2,000

ppc overture, google

Mary

I pay exactly nothing. :0)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

From $0 to $750 per month, depending on the season, holidays, etc.

Paul K. Gjenvick, Webmaster, Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives

I am also one that tends to try to keep my expenses as low as possible.

My basic monthly costs:

Servers, Domains ... Professional Image Creation, and a bit of advertising averages between $1500 and $2500 monthly.

Remember to keep good records of these expenses as they can reduce your taxable income as business expenses.

Everytime you buy a:

book, purchase software, purchase a new domain, pay for your monthly hosting bill, renew online subscriptions (wordtracker.com comes to mind) or pay anything that helps you drive sales you should be count those expense as such ;-)

Cheers,

Brian Johnson (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    myrxforless.com | My Affiliate Programs

Thanks for your help. How do you do it?
    For example, if I am only getting 1 sale per 80 clicks, which seems to be an average right? and on google adwords you are paying say 1 dollar per click, that is 80 dollars you pay and the 1 sale you get will give you 10 dollars on 100 dollar order for 10% commmission..
    How do you make money from that?
    What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again

You are not doing anything wrong! The folks who don't do much advertising have done something else in the past. Contests, word of mouth, something unique that keeps people coming back, games, whatever. And many non advertising sites have been around for YEARS.

Unless you are very lucky, have a friend who can promote you for free, or have a high advertising budget, it takes time to get a iste off of the ground. If I were just starting at this point, I would be spending big bucks to advertise. I would also try link and newsletter exchanges. I have heard that buying keywords, you can make back 200% of what you spend ( example, spend $50 you make a $100 IF you get good keywords) I have heard this from two people though I have never tried it ( yet!).

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks Anne

do you mean buy keywords such as via overture? I tried the google adwords, but the keywords I wanted cost 2 dollar per click and it added up too quick without any sales.

Another question is...how do the big affiliate site webmasters maintain all those links? There are tons, do they do each one manually?

Thanks again

YOu can buy keywords at smaller search engines and they cost less. Links can be in a database, dreamweaver, html or any number of things. I am assuming most people have to update them manually, even with a database unless there is some snazzy tool that updates primary and sales links from merchants directly that I don't know of ( other than datafeed) Sites are alot of work, ha ha!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

One idea to save money on keywords is to buy a very broad range of them. This will help you be better than your competition so that you:
    1) Get a higher rank
    2) Pay less on average

But it's tricky without conversion tracking software, and a big budget.

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I know that some affiliate site owners can bring in thousands per month, but how much do you pay for advertising your affiliate site per month? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Averaging out the Inktomi bills over 12 months, I'd say it's about $100-$120/month. Occasionally that spikes up by $50-$100 if I run some banners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> on google adwords you are paying say 1 dollar per click, that is 80 dollars you pay and the 1 sale you get will give you 10 dollars on 100 dollar order for 10% commmission..
    How do you make money from that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes! You *can* bid lower...you won't make money from PPC if you're bidding more than you can end up making.

I've got a little Adwords trial running myself, and it seems that a reasonable bid won't bring many clicks, at least not in the categories I targeted. But it's not profitable to bid an unreasonable amount, so I think Adwords isn't the best thing for those categories.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The folks who don't do much advertising have done something else in the past. Contests, word of mouth, something unique that keeps people coming back, games, whatever.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget Plain old SEO! For many sites, free search engine listings are the biggest source of traffic.

Before I had any decent Google rankings, I used GoTo. But then they turned into Overture and acquired a terrible attitude--at about the same time I started to rank well in Google! So I shut off the paid bids and went with the Free listings.

As for Inktomi, I actually got started there as a finger to Overture. Over had denied one of my long-term listings under their new "randomly applied" guidelines. I was the ONLY bidder in that category! I realized I could get that #1 back, and they wouldn't be able to do anything about it, and without paying Over a red cent--if I put a page for that term in Inktomi...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Another question is...how do the big affiliate site webmasters maintain all those links? There are tons, do they do each one manually? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Manually? Horrors!! Datafeeds and WebMerge for me. Feedless merchants don't get any maintenance at all unless there is a truly earthshattering change (like a merchant removing an entire product line). I will note that feedless merchants typically only get a general page that doesn't mention specific products, only a product line (for instance, the page may advertise "Fuzzy Widgets" but not "Model X19 Red Fuzzy-Wuzzy Widgets").

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

THanks for your very informative response. I have a lot to learn. I do manual updates and it is a pain. What is a datafeed and webmerge? do you have a place where i can learn about them? Do you have a sample site wehre datafeeds and mailmerges are used?

I sit there in and cut and paste the html tracking code all day long, it is terrible, I would love to learn a more efficient way.

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    >What is a datafeed and webmerge? do you have a place where i can learn about them?

RIGHT HERE

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

Crikey, a dollar a click?

For my main site, I pay 4p at Google (i.e. about 7 cents). The bare minimum. I figure that every visitor I get that way makes me about 10p (i.e. about 18 cents) on average.

I only get about 20% of my visitors through Google adwords, most of the rest is from Google's free results or Inktomi's $25/page paid inclusion.

I don't bother with Overture.. it was just too expensive.

However, take a look at MarketBanker.. there are some high traffic sites there that don't charge too much for a text link. I ran an ad last week which gave me 16,000 clicks for just $10. The best thing to do is find a site that matches what you're trying to sell and then verify that site's general traffic levels with Alexa.

Since you asked the question, last year I spent over $5000 at Google.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Hey Guys,

We are a national ISP and we spend 12.96 a week to place our 4 x 4 inch isp ad in a 400k person circ. that covers 4 towns. Some people would snarl at the idea of newspaper ads but they do work if you stay in long enough, you may want to try it.

Just contributing,

Thanks,
    Kevin - Vice President
    HotPops.Net
    A BBUSA.Net Inc. Company

Why Work For the Boss,
    When you can be the Boss?

You use, datafeeds and webmerge where can i learn about this, and do you ahve any sites i can look at LEADER? dont have to be high paying ones, i just want to see some examples
    Oh and when you say you use INK, do you submit 1 url for 1 domain?

[Snip - please don't overquote - Dynamoo]

[This message was edited by Dynamoo on January 16, 2004 at 05:25 AM.]

I spend between $500-$1000 a month in advertising. This month I am increasing to $1500.

I had to experiment for months before I figured out what works and what affiliate programs make enough profit to justify it.

I only spend money on PPC for search engines. That way I know I am getting a targeted audience.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

Kevin, good point and it's been raised here before. Printed ads can be great, especially if you've got a well defined demographic.

Indeed, that's such a good idea I'll go off and do some research for myself right now

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    AffiliateTracking--

>>You use, datafeeds and webmerge where can i learn about this,

There is a "fourthworld" forum here. They make WebMerge. You can learn a bit about it there. Basically, it's a tool used for turning a datafeed into pages. If you learn some kind of programming language, you can write your own script to do it instead of using WebMerge.

As for the feeds, they're basically a list of all the relevant info about the merchant's products. Some fields typically are: product name, SKU, BuyURL/Tracking URL, imageURL, description, price, category... for each product in the feed.

>>and do you ahve any sites i can look at LEADER?

>>dont have to be high paying ones, i just want to see some examples

Sorry, but no, I don't tell what my sales sites are...

But you can usually find lots of examples by Googling for any product from a CJ merchant that has "product links." If they've got product links, they've got a feed--and someone will be running it unless the feed really stinks! Use the exact name of the product in Google (especially if the item's got an oddball name) and the feed sites should come right up.

Quality of what's in Google varies widely, some are really ugly, and others go too far the other way and pay way TOO much attention to being pretty.

But a Google search will usually give a good overview of what can be done with a feed if you pick a category that has feed-enabled merchants in it.

>>Oh and when you say you use INK, do you submit 1 url for 1 domain?

With Inktomi, each paid submission is only good for getting one page in. So I submit (paid inclusion) each page I want to make sure is in there. Typically I put in a few pages per domain--the pages where I want to "amplify" the results of. And if I expect the page to change faster than the Google cycle I'll list it in Inktomi to make use of their faster refresh rate.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

[SHAMELESS PLUG]

Newspaper ads work!

[/SHAMELESS PLUG]

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

Hi Everybody, Does anyone know of where to turn for a good national newspaper ad service?
    We have private ISP's that we allow to sell our services and we're looking to help them along with marketing ,etc. We figured a good rate on a national publication or broken down to by the state / city / etc. would be a great start.

Thank you,
    Kevin - GO WIRELESS
    Hot Pops.Net

Why Work For the Boss,
    When you can be the Boss?

We aren't spending anything yet, but in the near future we will be doing at least $10,000 a month.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread