Thread: New Research on Couponing Trends: Released by Platform-A and IRI

New Research on Couponing Trends: Released by Platform-A and IRI
    Platform-A’s Business Intelligence organization, in partnership with Information Resources, Inc. (IRI), released the results of a new study on trends in consumer couponing.

Key results:

• More than 90 million consumers (78% of retail shoppers) currently use newspaper coupons, with nearly one out of every four of the newspaper coupon clippers likely to be at least 65 years old.

• Nearly four out of every 10 shoppers – a total of 40 million consumers – would be very likely to use coupons accessed online.

• The youngest market segments are the most receptive to online coupon offers, with 51% of 18-24 year-old shoppers indicating that they would be very likely to use coupons presented to them online.

• While historically ambivalent to traditional coupons, younger couples are the most likely life-stage group to use online coupons, indicating an opportunity to influence product choices within this segment.

• Young couples without children are among the respondents most likely to use a coupon they found online, followed by shoppers with younger children.

“What’s particularly remarkable about the study results is how open young people are to the idea of using coupons online – even though clipping coupons from the newspaper really hasn’t been their thing,” adds J. P. Beauchamp, senior vice president, IRI Consumer & Shopper Insights. “I think we’ll be seeing CPG manufacturers jumping on this trend – using online coupons to court a new generation of consumers and build loyalty during these cost-conscious times.”

Click here to view the full press release
    Click here to view the PDF of study results
    Click here to view other research studies from Platform-A

-Amy

hmmm
    "51% of 18-24 year-old shoppers indicating that they would be very likely to use coupons presented to them online."

I wouldn't have thought that either. Interesting study. I use coupons for everything I do. Always have and always will even if a fairy found me and made me a billionaire, would still use coupons......just maybe on more expensive stuff. lol

Glad to hear you find it interesting/helpful

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    I wouldn't have thought that either.
    It's inline with the study I posted in http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=117593

I'm looking forward to reading this report.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Nice! Glad to hear it

The converse...
    51% of 18-24 year-old shoppers indicating that they would be very likely to use coupons presented to them online.
    49% (the other half) of that demographic does NOT bother with coupons.
    Nearly four out of every 10 shoppers – a total of 40 million consumers – would be very likely to use coupons accessed online.
    So, six out of every 10 shoppers do NOT use coupons accessed online. WooHoo!

Love it. Absolutely love it. Thanks for sharing those numbers, Amy. I do NOT promote with coupons. I basically do not have time to post and then update amounts, codes, ex-dates, changing product focus, and anything/everything else involved in keeping coupons current and ethical.

Well, actually, I don't take the time. I'm perfectly content to address the 49-60% of non-coupon users out there. I prefer to sell things at FULL PRICE to manifest maximum commission for me and maximum profit for my merchants. Less work and more money...Works for me.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

"It's inline with the study I posted in http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=117593"

ooops, I missed seein that, so gonna read now., Thanks Haiko for lettin me know

"So, six out of every 10 shoppers do NOT use coupons accessed online. WooHoo!"

Am glad for you Bill still have a hard time believin them numbers, tho. Everybody I know uses coupons and even know some very wealthy people and they use em, too. (which I wouldn't have thought lol but then maybe that helped em get rich. lol not really. Blue blood money) Maybe some people in the survey didn't wanna fess up to using coupons?

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the link, Amy. Good stuff.

This item left me with a question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Ely
    • The youngest market segments are the most receptive to online coupon offers, with 51% of 18-24 year-old shoppers indicating that they would be very likely to use coupons presented to them online.
    It almost sounds like these shoppers were merely asked, and that the survey doesn't correlate what was said with a true demonstration of "likely to use" in actual sales data.

Did I miss something?

The gap between what people say they do and what they actually do is so vast that it's often more useful to not ask them at all but merely observe.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

yeap, ya do make a point. My first job was in market research and a lot does depend on how ya phrase a question. Like if somethin is worded as it's somethin good or positive, a person is more likely to say yes cos if they didn't it would make em to appear not too smart or maybe goin against the popular trend. A lotta people wanna feel like they're in with the "in crowd"

Can depend even on how you phrased previous questions. Like if ya said using online coupons has been found to save customers 25% while shopping online and then ya asked em If you came upon a coupon offered by a merchant would you be definitely likely to use it, likely, not likely or not likely at all to use it.

Are you gonna wanna say, nope I prefer to think of myself as a big dummy, I don't wanna save any money so I'll say I'm not likely to use em. lol

or....... even
    If you're shopping and notice on the site there's a coupon, will you use it?
    opposed to:
    If you have to make a search for coupons, register at that site to see the actual coupons....are you likely to use coupons?

Some people don't like registering on a site so they may like the idea of using coupons but not registering at a site in order to do so.

All in all, tho.....I don't doubt that the results are accurate. Just I woulda thought that if those younger are using the coupons more that they woulda learned that habit from their parents. But......if that were the case, how come the parents aren't using em. Again, very interesting Amy and thanks for posting it.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The converse...
    49% (the other half) of that demographic does NOT bother with coupons.
    So, six out of every 10 shoppers do NOT use coupons accessed online. WooHoo!

Bill, you son of a gun!!!! You hit it on the head!!! If 51% do use coupons, what percentage does not???????????? LOL, love ya Bill!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    One point here is this was done in September before the downturn.

I expect the % to be higher now.

Also the newspapers are declining in advertisers big time, and several are gone.
    So newspaper numbers may be much lower.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

12. Newsletter Signup