Impact of sales tax collection on Amazon's NY state sales
    I'm guessing this might not be public info, but it's very interesting to a lot of us to understand the impact of collecting sales tax on Amazon's sales volume.

Question: After Amazon started collecting sales tax (in NY for example), how much (as a percentage) did the total sales drop?

If there are any official/semi-official/third-party guesstimates that'd be useful too.

The reasons Amazon converts so well for a lot of affiliates are:

1) great selection, great customer experience, low prices, blah blah

2) no tax

3) free shipping

Basically, in a world where #2 is gone, how much lesser will customers purchase (which directly correlates to what affiliates make)..

ABW Ambassador
    People tend to buy on the www for convenience.

Because this change occurred concurrent with a major recession, I doubt that any third-party data will be useful for such a fine-detail analysis.

Probably the best measure would be to compare changes in shopping-cart abandonment rates for NY customers with the rates for non-NY customers (if we looked only at data for NY customers, we wouldn't know whether or how much each of several different factors may have contributed to the change).

I don't think sales tax is a huge factor for most consumers; convenience, selection, delivery, and price are much more important. I'd be surprised to see a reduction of more than 5% attributable to sales-tax collection; if I had to make a prediction/guess, I'd say 1.5%.

Most of us would be extremely happy if adding sales tax only results in 1.5-2% reduction in total Amazon sales, but I suspect it has to be quite a bit more. There's something about free shipping, and no tax about closing sales.

If it makes only 2% difference, do you think Amazon and others would be fighting it as hard as they are?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emuflies
    Most of us would be extremely happy if adding sales tax only results in 1.5-2% reduction in total Amazon sales, but I suspect it has to be quite a bit more. There's something about free shipping, and no tax about closing sales.

If it makes only 2% difference, do you think Amazon and others would be fighting it as hard as they are?
    Yes. Tax collection and reporting process for numerous jurisdictions is a tremendous and costly burden in and of itself.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Two percent is still a LOT of sales. Another factor is the cost to comply with the complex and sometimes contradictory tax rules for 40+ states and thousands of overlapping local jurisdictions; imagine the audit costs if 10 or 20 states decide that they might be able to squeeze more money from a huge out-of-state retailer?

But I'll also challenge your implication that Amazon and other big retailers are fighting hard -- it sure doesn't look that way to me. Amazon really just "rolled over" for the New York law; I can't find any record of an appeal filed there.

Quite frankly, Amazon is the best-suited company to deal with state taxes (they already compute & collect taxes for most states for their "Marketplace" merchants). Amazon might actually have a competitive advantage from these laws. And of course, such a large company is very likely to be captured under existing "nexus" rules(I'm surprised that CA hasn't already taken action.)

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread